Michelle James
Michelle James
  • Emmetsburg, IA

Create a Pretty Outdoor Space

I tried to get outside and create a pretty area next to my back door for people to see each time they walk up to the house. I think it turned out really cute.
create a pretty outdoor space, gardening, outdoor living
I started with an old garden gate. I had been wanting one for a long time and finally found this one at a garage sale. I loved it!
I already have some hostas growing next to the walk so I needed some flowers and plants by the gate. I decided to use the old Radio Flyer wagon my boys played with when they were little. I purchased some plants and got to work.
I set them up the way I wanted in the wagon. I added some gravel at the bottom for drainage then potting soil for the plants. I tried to purchase plants that do well in shade and sun although this area does get a lot of sun during the day. I am not a "plant" person so I definitely need to read the labels and tags that come with the plants. I am not sure I got them right but I am learning.
I also planted a few more containers with the left over plants and some around our tree in our patio area.
Then I added a fun sign on the gate to finish it off!
The whole thing makes me smile everyday when I walk by. I just love to have flowers around in the summer. What do you think?
You can visit my blog to see more!

• Garden gate  (garage sale)
  • Wagon  (had already)
  • White plant stand  (had already)
Michelle James

• Kandy Gorndt Antich

No question...just wanted to tell you this came out beautifully! Good job!

• Liv Gutermuth

I love this! You could also use the gate as a trellis for a clematis or other climbing vine. The gate is so pretty that I wouldn't want the vine to completely overtake it, though.