Upcycled Map Magnetic Notice Board and Shrink Plastic Pins

Use a map of your favourite places to upcycle a plain magnetic notice board into something you'll want to look at. You can also make some cute travel themed magnetic pins to complete the look.
This map magnetic notice board would look fantastic in any home office or in a teenagers bedroom. Especially for those with wanderlust.
The map board is now in my sons room and goes great with the personalised map chair I made him click here to see them.
I started off with this plain steel notice board my son had in his room. You could use any metal, board or tray as long as it's magnetic.
To make sure my map would stick to the metal, I keyed it first. To do this I covered my board in a layer of glue and let it dry fully.
I used a map wrapping paper for my board. My son wants to go interrailing round Europe next year, so I used a map of Europe. (There is a link on my blog to the map wrapping paper.)
There are lots of other maps available in the same wrapping paper or you could use one you already have.
I applied glue to the board and the wrong side of my map and carefully lay my map over the top of the board. To help eliminate air bubbles, I used both a ruler and a rolling pin to gently squeeze them out.
I wrapped the map round the sides of the board and then trimmed off the excess. To protect the map, apply a coat of glue or varnish to the top of the map.
To make the travel themed pins I used printable shrink plastic. You may remember this as a kid as Shrinky Dinks.
I drew some fun travel themed images which you can download from my blog for free. I also used pictures of old airline labels also on the blog.
These images were printed on to the shrink plastic and shrunk in the oven according to the instructions on the packet. I then simply stuck a self adhesive magnet on to the back of them to make my magnetic pins. (Links to products used on the blog).
My son loves this board, he loves to look at it while daydreaming about his travel plans.
I think the magnetic pins are really cute too ! I especially love the vintage airline label ones as they remind me of my travels when I was younger.
I use maps in a lot of my projects as it's a great way to personalise things and add interest to them. I also just love maps, I think they look great. If you want to see one of my most popular map upcycles click here..

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Claire at Pillarboxblue