Love Fizzy Bombs to Clean Your Toilet (and Laundry!) in No Time

$15-20
30-45 Minutes

Raise your hand if you like to clean the toilet.
C’mon. Anyone? No?
I know cleaning the toilet can be a daunting task, but let me tell you, these LOVE FIZZY BOMBS make it so easy that you may find yourself wanting to clean daily. Really.
Need to know how to make these lovelies? Stay with me and read on!
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Fizzy Bombs to give your toilet a lit love
Fizzy Bombs to give your toilet a lil' love!
Once again, I’m stuck with one of the tasks I hate most: Cleaning the toilet bowl! Why everyone conveniently disappears when it’s time to clean?
But fear no more! My Love Fizzy Bombs are so easy to make, and use.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Ingredients you need to pack explosive love
Ingredients you need to pack explosive love
STEP 1: GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS
Here’s what you'll need for yours:
• Baking soda: 1 cup
• Borax (optional): 1/3 cup
• 1/2 cup citric acid
• Measuring cup
• Container to mix
• Essential oils. More on this later, in STEP 7
• Tablespoon or measuring spoon
• Spray Bottle or Vaporizer (recommended)
• Silicone mold (optional)
Oh. And did I mention you can double the bombs as laundry detergent? Scroll down to STEP 13 for details.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Let s start with the baking soda
Let’s start with the baking soda
STEP 2: BAKING SODA IS FIRST
Baking soda is lightly abrasive, as well as an unscented deodorizer. It is easily decomposed by acid, that’s why adding citric acid will come in handy.
Grab a mixing bowl or container, a measuring cup and baking soda. Next, measure 1 – 1 1/3 cups of baking soda and add it to your mixing bowl
NOTE: Do 1 cup of baking soda if you’re planning to add borax, otherwise keep it to 1 1/3 cups.
TIP: If the baking soda has clumps, use your fingers or spoon to dissolve them.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Should we add some borax Up to you
Should we add some borax? Up to you!
STEP 3: BORAX or NO BORAX?
Though the basic recipe doesn’t call for Borax, I use it often as a detergent booster in my laundry and house cleaning recipes. It also makes a great Sweet DIY Ant Bait.
(You can get the recipe here: http://www.hometalk.com/18515410/quick-dyi-sweet-bait-to-treat-and-get-rid-of-your-ants)
So I like to add 1/3 cup of Borax to the baking soda. You don’t have to, but will sure make the cleaning easier.
Borax is a good cleaner, deodorizer and booster, which makes it a good combination for the baking soda.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Add citric acid to make the bomb explosive
Add citric acid to make the bomb explosive!
STEP 4: CITRIC ACID IS NEXT
Next step is to add citric acid.
Measure 1/2 cup and add it to your mixing container.
The citric acid and baking soda will produce an acid-and-base reaction that creates thousands of tiny bubbles to fill your toilet bowl while releasing the essential oils.
NOTE: If you replace 1/3 of the baking soda with borax, the reaction will be slower, but the cleaning is likely to be better.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Mix Mix And then mix some more
Mix. Mix. And then, mix some more!
STEP 5: MIX DRY INGREDIENTS WELL
That makes it for the dry ingredients.
But before we add a little moisture, let’s make sure it’s well mixed.
Use a tablespoon first to mix all ingredients. Then use your fingers to ensure there aren’t any baking soda clumps left.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Ready Time to add the water essential oils
Ready? Time to add the water & essential oils
STEP 6: LET’S ADD WATER FIRST
We need to moisten the dry ingredients, so let’s add the liquid next.
First, use a tablespoon to add 1 spoon of water to your measuring cup. You can also use measuring spoons.
Pour the water into a vaporizer.
TIP: we’ll use a vaporizer to mist the dry ingredients. It will moisten the dry ingredients better and prevent creating clumps again in areas that are excessively wet.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Adding a nice fresh fragrance is easy
Adding a nice fresh fragrance is easy!
STEP 7: ESSENTIAL OILS
Next we’re going to add a few essential oils to the water to make a nice fresh 'n clean scent.
That’ll leave a nice fragrance in your toilet bowl with no extra work!
You can use any oil you have: 70-90 drops of one, or several oils combined are a good amount.
TIP: The more you use, the stronger the scent.
For a clean and fresh scent, add 30 drops of each — PINE or TEA TREE OIL, EUCALYPTUS, and PEPPERMINT — to the water.
Or you can also use LEMON, LAVENDER, and PEPPERMINT: again, 30 drops of each.
Tea Tree Oil and Eucalyptus are excellent air disinfectants, perfect for a bathroom!
All citrus (lemon, lemongrass, grapefruit, lime ), Peppermint and Lavender are also very good air purifiers – not to mention they smell great!
TIP: If you only have 2 oils, add 45 drops of each, and if only 1, add 90.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Let s add a lil moisture to dry ingredients
Let’s add a lil moisture to dry ingredients!
STEP 8: MIST and MOIST
Start spraying the water & essential oils mix into your dry ingredients.
Spray a couple of times and mix with the tablespoon. Continue misting and stirring a few times until you see the texture changing.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Again Mist Stir and Test
Again: Mist, Stir, and Test!
STEP 9: STIR and TEST
As you keep adding liquid to the dry ingredients, you’ll see small clumps forming. Continue stirring and misting until you've used 2/3 of the liquid in your vaporizer.
TIP: You can use the spoon or your hand to dissolve the clumps.
Mix well and get a small amount in your hand to make a fist. If it clumps well — it doesn’t need to be completely moist or wet! — it’s ready to pour into the mold.
Otherwise, continue misting. If you still need more water, add a bit more to the vaporizer and spray a few more times.
TIP: Wait a few minutes before you add additional water to your mix.
Keep in mind the ideal mix should be slightly dry, rather than a sticky paste.
The moisture will activate the citric acid and start a reaction between the citric acid and the baking soda.
CAUTION: If you add too much liquid, your mix will expand and start the fizzing now, instead of later.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Time to make the Love Bombs
Time to make the Love Bombs!
STEP 10: POUR INTO MOLD
With your mix ready, it’s time to pour into your mold. Silicone molds are best, since they’re easy to demold.
Pinch a small amount from your container and press into the mold. You may need to add a bit more to fill it to the top. Fill each one until you’re done.
TIP: Don’t have a mold handy? Use your hands to make small balls.
The mix yields a full mold, about 28 hearts. You can use half the amounts for a smaller batch.
Cover and let it dry for a few hours. You can wait up to a day or two, but keep in mind they won’t dry in the silicone mold.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Demolding is easy with a little trick
Demolding is easy with a little trick!
STEP 11: A LITTLE TRICK TO HELP DEMOLD
Now, if your bombs are on the soft side they may be harder to demold.
But I have a little trick that I'll share with you: put your mold in the freezer for 30 min and try again. If still soft, keep them for another 1/2 hour.
Get them out and demold right away!
So much easier, right?
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Almost done But first let s label the jar
Almost done. But first, let's label the jar!
STEP 12: STORE AND LABEL
Store in a jar and label: put the name and date. You can also add the ingredients.
As it turns out, my bombs came up too moist. I’m going to close the jar and keep them in the fridge — it’s so hot (we’re having almost 100 degrees temps here!) that I’m afraid they’ll stick together.
Because they're cold, they may take a bit longer dissolving in the water.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Dread no more Let s clean that toilet bowl
Dread no more: Let’s clean that toilet bowl!
STEP 12: DROP THE FIZZY BOMB IN THE TOILET
Are you ready? Let’s put some love into that toilet bowl.
Drop a bomb or two and wait a few minutes for it to dissolve. If you added borax, the chemical reaction between the citric acid and the baking soda will take longer and release less bubbles.
If they're cold (out of the fridge, like mine) they'll also take longer to dissolve.
Either way, once the bomb is dissolved, use the scrubber to clean the bowl. All while you’re enjoying the fresh — and healthy! — scents of the essential oils.
TIP: If the toilet needs a boost cleaning, drop a couple of bombs.
love fizzy bombs to clean your toilet and laundry in no time, appliances, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, Use the Bombs in your laundry too
Use the Bombs in your laundry too!
STEP 13: ADD THE LOVE BOMBS TO YOUR LAUNDRY
Now guess what?
You can also use the bombs to boost your laundry! Think about it: baking soda and borax are deodorizers and cleaners, and it is citric acid.
And the essential oils will add a nice, fresh fragrance to your laundry!
I added a couple of bombs to my laundry detergent, to hand wash a few delicate whites, but you can use them in your regular machine wash too.
TIP: If you’re doing whites, you can also add a 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar along with your regular laundry detergent.
CAUTION: Though the bombs shouldn’t damage colors, you should try a hand wash with a color item first. Borax and citric acid may affect colors.
And that makes it for the FIZZY LOVE BOMBS!
If you enjoy this post, follow me — I have more concoctions coming up! And to get my DIY all purpose cleaner recipe check: http://www.hometalk.com/16447697/a-super-easy-non-toxic-spring-cleaner

• Baking soda  (supermarket, drugstore, pharmacy)
  • Borax (optional)  (supermarket, drugstore, pharmacy)
  • Citric acid  (supermarket, online)

3 questions on this project
  • Ree15133473
    Sep 24, 2017

Have you tried using Witch hazel instead of water? Just spray with it. Works very well.

• Kathie Hoyt
    Feb 04, 2017

I noticed in directions, to add water first then add oil. I thought I read to add the oil to the water.? Please clarify that, too. Thanks!

• Theresa Shaut
      Sep 11, 2017

Because you don't know exactly how much water you will need, I would add oil to mix first then mist to desire consistency. That way you won't have leftover water/oil mix in the bottle and not have the full effect of
      the essential oils.

• Kathie Hoyt
    Feb 04, 2017

Direction says to put water & oil into a vaporizer. ??? Vaporizer is for steam like when a child has upper respiratory infection. How does that get the liquid into the dry ingredients? Do you mean spray bottle? That tiny amount? Please clarify.

• Kathie Hoyt
      Feb 04, 2017

Oh! I saw this was already answered. NOT vaporizer - Atomizer!! (FINE SPRAY bottle like for perfume! So, NOT spray Bottle as would not be fine enough. I bought small atomizers from Bulk apothecary to use essential oils (Carnation) for perfume.

• MiTmite9
    Jan 22, 2017

These bombs didn't seem to help w/ that at all. I put on rubber gloves, use pumice and a very sharp razor blade to try and clean that problem area. Every 6-8 months or so my BF takes the toilets outside, one at a time, soaks that area with muriatic acid for a deep cleanse. We have extremely hard water and because of on-going drought, we don't flush after every pee either.

• Carole
    Oct 01, 2017

hi. It really helped my toilet, which was long overdue for a scrubbing.

I have a couple of suggestions. I saw a small flour sifter at the goodwill for cheap, and i am going to get one to run the dry ingredients through. (I don't want Borax etc. in my flour sifter I use in the kitchen. It will take all the clumps out and do an excellent job of mixing.

I decided to take a short cut...dumped some borax in my toilet, and then mixed some citric acid to baking soda ratio 1 to 2, and just dumped it in.

Next time I am going to add a few drops of food coloring to the water in the atomizer just for fun. In a pretty jar, they would make a nice gift.

But i would only use white in the laundry!

Also, I scorched a pan of oatmeal...dropped in a fizzy bomb and let it sit, it worked wonders!

It didn't do a lot for the rust stains in the toilet. What works on those is a half a lemon dipped in salt and some elbow grease. I sprinkled baking soda all around in the bowl before I started scrubbing. Or one of those green scrubby pads, pour lemon juice (out of the bottle) dip in coarse salt and scrub.