Glamorous File Cabinet Makeover

$8
Check out this very Simple and Super inexpensive project I just completed. I found a cheap and plain file cabinet at good will and with painters tape and some gold and white paint...I turned it in to a Dorothy Draper Inspired piece of furniture. The file cabinet is also doubling as a end table!
AFTER: This File cabinet is such a simple upgrade from the original boring piece. The change was completed with primer, painting tape, gold paint and White Dove Advanced Paint.
BEFORE: This is the File cabinet before. I found this at Goodwill for $5.99....it only took 3 visits to finally find a cabinet under $20! I loved it because of the drawer pull handles
Step 1: Clean and prime. I like to use rubbing alcohol and prime with zinsser 123 or an oil based spray .
Step 2: add the gold paint where you want your overlay design to appear. I attempted to use Gold spray paint..but it cracked! (I assume the cabinet was not clean enough or it was too hot out). I sanded away the crackle.
Step 2 continued: I found a new gold paint that I brushed on and actually loved the color even more! Martha Stewart @ Home Depot color is Golden Pearl Step 3: Create your design with painters tape and press firmly in place
Step 4: paint over the tape with your gold. This will ensure the tape is secured and prevents any leaking. Step 5: Paint your final color once dry remove your tape!
My{DIY}Habits_Katie

Questions on this post

3  questions

Comments

10 of 50 comments
Next