Glamorous File Cabinet Makeover

$8

Check out this very Simple and Super inexpensive project I just completed. I found a cheap and plain file cabinet at good will and with painters tape and some gold and white paint...I turned it in to a Dorothy Draper Inspired piece of furniture. The file cabinet is also doubling as a end table!
AFTER: This File cabinet is such a simple upgrade from the original boring piece. The change was completed with primer, painting tape, gold paint and White Dove Advanced Paint.
BEFORE: This is the File cabinet before. I found this at Goodwill for $5.99....it only took 3 visits to finally find a cabinet under $20! I loved it because of the drawer pull handles
Step 1: Clean and prime. I like to use rubbing alcohol and prime with zinsser 123 or an oil based spray .
Step 2: add the gold paint where you want your overlay design to appear. I attempted to use Gold spray paint..but it cracked! (I assume the cabinet was not clean enough or it was too hot out). I sanded away the crackle.
Step 2 continued: I found a new gold paint that I brushed on and actually loved the color even more! Martha Stewart @ Home Depot color is Golden Pearl Step 3: Create your design with painters tape and press firmly in place
Step 4: paint over the tape with your gold. This will ensure the tape is secured and prevents any leaking. Step 5: Paint your final color once dry remove your tape!

Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
My{DIY}Habits_Katie

• Bec6700165

Hi

Great job, very Art Deco. Question: can this be done on the plastic stackable drawers available at Walmart, etc.?

• Susan Moritz Tauster

I'm confused about the tape vs. gold paint steps. It says paint over the tape with gold. then paint your final color -- once dry remove tape. But how did you end up with gold as the finished "tape shape" design if you painted gold OVER the tape? The "Add gold paint where you want overlay design" isn't making sense vs. your instructions on the tape. Sorry I'm not getting it, and appreciate any additional clarification. Really like your design!

• Bunny

I too don't understand your instructions about 'painting on top of the tape with the gold paint! Very confusing. Can you please offer a better explanation? I live your project and want to do this also - but want to get it 'right.' Thanks.