My{DIY}Habits_Katie
My{DIY}Habits_Katie
  • Sammamish, WA

Glamorous File Cabinet Makeover

$8

Check out this very Simple and Super inexpensive project I just completed. I found a cheap and plain file cabinet at good will and with painters tape and some gold and white paint...I turned it in to a Dorothy Draper Inspired piece of furniture. The file cabinet is also doubling as a end table!
AFTER:  This File cabinet is such a simple upgrade from the original boring piece.   The change was completed with primer, painting tape, gold paint and White Dove Advanced Paint.
AFTER: This File cabinet is such a simple upgrade from the original boring piece. The change was completed with primer, painting tape, gold paint and White Dove Advanced Paint.
BEFORE:  This is the File cabinet before.  I found this at Goodwill for $5.99....it only took 3 visits to finally find a cabinet under $20!  I loved it because of the drawer pull handles
BEFORE: This is the File cabinet before. I found this at Goodwill for $5.99....it only took 3 visits to finally find a cabinet under $20! I loved it because of the drawer pull handles
Step 1:  Clean and prime.  I like to use rubbing alcohol and prime with zinsser 123 or an oil based spray .
Step 1: Clean and prime. I like to use rubbing alcohol and prime with zinsser 123 or an oil based spray .
Step 2:  add the gold paint where you want your overlay design to appear.  I attempted to use Gold spray paint..but it cracked!  (I assume the cabinet was not clean enough or it was too hot out).   I sanded away the crackle.
Step 2: add the gold paint where you want your overlay design to appear. I attempted to use Gold spray paint..but it cracked! (I assume the cabinet was not clean enough or it was too hot out). I sanded away the crackle.
Step 2 continued:  I found a new gold paint that I brushed on and actually loved the color even more! Martha Stewart @ Home Depot color is Golden Pearl
Step 3:  Create your design with painters tape and press firmly in place
Step 2 continued: I found a new gold paint that I brushed on and actually loved the color even more! Martha Stewart @ Home Depot color is Golden Pearl Step 3: Create your design with painters tape and press firmly in place
Step 4:  paint over the tape with your gold.  This will ensure the tape is secured and prevents any leaking.
Step 5:  Paint your final color once dry remove your tape!
Step 4: paint over the tape with your gold. This will ensure the tape is secured and prevents any leaking. Step 5: Paint your final color once dry remove your tape!
My{DIY}Habits_Katie

• Bec6700165

Hi

Great job, very Art Deco. Question: can this be done on the plastic stackable drawers available at Walmart, etc.?

• Susan Moritz Tauster

I'm confused about the tape vs. gold paint steps. It says paint over the tape with gold. then paint your final color -- once dry remove tape. But how did you end up with gold as the finished "tape shape" design if you painted gold OVER the tape? The "Add gold paint where you want overlay design" isn't making sense vs. your instructions on the tape. Sorry I'm not getting it, and appreciate any additional clarification. Really like your design!

• Bliss Rovelsky

I think She painted gold in the area where she wanted her design.

Then applied the tape on top of the gold for the design. Then she painted gold on top of the tape. This way if it did “leak” to get under the painter’s tape it will be the gold color of the design. It will seal the edges so the lighter color won’t get under the design which would give it a jagged edge. Then she paints the lighter color that she wants her whole cabinet.

• Bunny

I too don't understand your instructions about 'painting on top of the tape with the gold paint! Very confusing. Can you please offer a better explanation? I live your project and want to do this also - but want to get it 'right.' Thanks.