The Cofran Home
The Cofran Home
  • Chicago, IL

DIY Hanging Planter

This super simple project transformed boring, frumpy plastic hanging planters (that I picked up for $3 each at my local hardware store) into hanging planters that are more my style! The whole project only took a couple hours – and I’m in love with how they turned out!
diy hanging planter, container gardening, crafts, gardening, how to
I started with these super basic, not particularly attractive plastic hanging planters.
I removed the plastic hangers (they were just clipped on to the pot), and spray painted the pots white.
Then, I took a piece of twine and cut it to twice the length that I wanted my plant to hang. I folded the piece of twine in half and inserted the two ends upwards into the holes in the pot that were from the plastic hangers (that I removed earlier). I cut three more pieces of twine and did the same thing on the remaining holes.
Once I was done pulling the twine through the holes, I gathered all the ends at the top, and tied them together with an overhand knot.
I put in faux ferns from Afloral. I ended up putting 4 fern bushes in each planter, and it worked out perfectly!
I hung the planters in my screened in porch, and I just love them!
This DIY was the last finishing touch I wanted to put in my screened-in porch to complete my makeover for the room! You can see the whole "Screened Porch Makeover" here!
The Cofran Home

• Jennifer Grace Sciberras

Hello there! Good job! Could you possibly tell me what paint product you used on your pots please? Could you also tell me what the finish was (e.g. gloss, satin, matt)? I can't quite see it in the photos. Many thanks :)

• The Cofran Home

Hi Jennifer! Thanks so much! I used Rust-oleum Painters Touch Paint+Primer Flat White. I've attached a picture so you can see what it looks like! I chose it because it said "It also bonds to Plastic" and it really worked well!

• AJ

While shopping for spray paint to do a similar project (spray-paint plastic containers) at my go-to Ace Hardware store, the paint department associate advised me to 1) thoroughly wash and scrub down old plastic planter(s) in hot, soapy water, rinse completely, let dry completely, and then 2) use a heavy-duty scrubber (e.g., green scrubber/yellow sponge type) to rough up, scruff up the pot surfaces to be painted. Said the roughing up makes the indoor/outdoor primer/paint mixture to adhere better. Haven't tried it yet here (too hot, too windy to paint outside), but seems like his suggestion makes sense. Just an FYI for you all . . . .

• Pam

When spraying plastic anything, make sure you pick up a paint that says it's for plastic. Rustoleum & Krylon both make them & you can save a lot of time.

• Jane

What kind of paint did you use?

• Glenna

I have some of those pots. What do you plug the holes so the plants won't drain on furniture?

• Debbeemoore

fake ferns

• Twt375950

She used fake plants

• Happygirl Bailey

You could use silicone caulk to cover holes and then some gravel in the bottom if you want to do live plants then don't overwater. ;)

• Raven

Water them in the bathtub. Then use cork from craft store to plug bottom to catch drips.

• Linda Lukacs

Take the piece of plastic out of the bottom and either cover holes or fill them and put plastic back in so plant doesn't sit in water.

• Cat6525273

You could also put a diaper in the bottom this works great for in doors I use coffee filters for mine outside and it drips a bit but I put smaller pots underneath and this waters them also and the coffee filters helps keep the moister in the pot a lot more.

• Marlene Bent

How would it work if you also painted a plastic catch dish (the bottoms of the ones I buy have uneven bottoms) glue in several spots to the bottom of the planter. Water would then catch in that.

• Psellers

These are not real plants guys

• Calley Anne Haws

I'd be careful about using plants you have to water or that get too big. The twine might not hold the weight. Big difference between fake plants and foam ... and dirt, water, rocks, and plants. You could do a pretty chain. Or a stronger twine I guess.

• Raven

Good point. Twine is not designed for heavy use. Too much work. Stick with fake plants.

• Paula Ewing

I made a very simple plant hanger with twine and held my plants just fine.
    • Connie Quine

I am assuming they are asking for those of us who would use live plants instead of artificial ones.

• Buffy Edgar Bandley

Duh

• Sandyg

She doesn't have live plants in them.

• Sue McCune Martin

The ferns were artificial ones. They don’t need water or dirt so the new planters are lightweight and don’t drip. No water required!

• Sue McCune Martin

• Sue McCune Martin

• Sue McCune Martin

• Patricia Ann Inder

They were not real plants, immitation. (My kind) LOL

• Taylor Steele

You would take them down to water them.. 🤷‍♀️

• Mary Conder

Sone of these do have some drainage abilities. Mine did

• Naga

Yes, I want to know is this comes in different colors?

• Kathie Elia

You can use any spray paint ( one meant to cover plastic is best and make sure it's cleaned and well dried prior to spraying) Any color will do!

• Jewellmartin

Just use the Rustoleum 2X paint in any color you like! ☺️

• Cra28501616

Where where did you buy the ferns and how much were they?

• Cathy Whitney

Don't know the cost, but any crafts store, like Hobby Lobby or Michael's would have them.

• Mzm18714551

She said she got at Aflora. If you click on the blue hyperlink above it takes you right to their site and gives you the price and size.

• Susann Rinehardt

Dollar Tree has ferns & other green plants.

• Joline Cosman

A live one is BOSTON FURN, and available at Home Depot type Garden Centers, especially in spring. If real, keep in mind, it will be much heavier !!! Looks great with a Michael's one, though !!! I can't wait to do it !!!

• Michele Mullins

They have no bottoms attached so how does it collect the over watering?

• Karen Groseclose

She said they are artificial ferns.

• Patsy

Some plastic hanging baskets come with removable bottoms

• Michele Mullins

Thank you for the reply’s ☺️

• Monica Santos

The fern is fake no need water

• Kauai Breeze

If you use real plants, Home Centers (in the gardening center) have clear plastic drip bowls with hooks that hang over the edge of the pot. They are very easy to attach and take off after watering. They are fairly cheap too.

• Shirley Patey

Do planters need any prep to make paint stick to the plastic?

• Joline Cosman

They make spray paint just for plastic now. You should probably wash it well, but shouldn't need anything more.

• Justine

How do you hang a planter? I don't want to have to drill into the ceiling.

• Monica Santos

It depends where you want them I have them in my curtain pole hanging, be careful to use small ones

• Dianne Swayze

I will doing this tomorrow.

very pretty 😊

• Gwen Breedon

Dollar tree has packets of chain hangers, you just clip them to the pot. Easy peasy and each one is only a dollar