"Don't Paint Ceramic Tile", They Said...

I disliked my ceramic backsplash. Actually, I pretty much disliked my whole kitchen but with a very limited budget, I really couldn't gut it. so after many warnings NOT to paint ceramic tile, I jumped in with both feet.
I'm rebellious that way.
This was my nemesis.
What shall I do???
My default setting is always to "just paint it!"
After a little research, found out that BMoore's STIX primer is amazing on tile.
So I ran with it. Priming the tile with 2 coats of it Without sanding! The HORROR!!!
*my tile was not glossy and it was already textured...
I then painted all the grout lines the same color I would eventually paint my cabinets...it was a BEHR latex paint, satin finish (not that it matters)
I then painstakingly painted with a small brush each individual tile with the color I chose. I wanted to retain the look of tiles so that's why I did the grout lines in a different color. Unfortunately, it looks like I don't have a pic of this step.
Here you can see the tile that's not shinny. that's with the 2 coats of paint.
The shinny tiles are because of the last step. Epoxy.
Now epoxy is tricky because it's soo thick and sticky and takes a long time to dry. When I first started I did each individual tile because I didn't want it in the grout lines (my attempt at making it look like real tile) so that's why I taped it all off.
...but that was overkill. really.
It was time consuming, tedious and unecessary. really.
...working my way around!
By the end, I was just slapping the epoxy on everywhere, grout and all. And to be honest, I'm just as pleased.
*One thing to note with epoxy on a vertical surface, it drips very slowly for a very long time...4 hrs or so. make sure counter is protected and continually catch those nasty drips!
It's SO easy to clean!
Kitchen before...
Kitchen after...
*to see the whole makeover, mostly with elbow grease and paint, see my other related posts.

13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut

• Zarina Jones

Awesome job! I recently painted my cabinets and wondering what to do with my back splash? Now I know! Thanks.

• Caroll 'van Dalen' Foster

I hate my kitchen. Don't want to spend a lot of money on a house I don't like so I am definitely going to paint my backsplash. They used floor tiles for the backsplash. They are hideous for both. I wonder if I can paint my ugly granite countertops?