"Don't Paint Ceramic Tile", They Said...

I disliked my ceramic backsplash. Actually, I pretty much disliked my whole kitchen but with a very limited budget, I really couldn't gut it. so after many warnings NOT to paint ceramic tile, I jumped in with both feet.
I'm rebellious that way.
This was my nemesis.
What shall I do???
My default setting is always to "just paint it!"
After a little research, found out that BMoore's STIX primer is amazing on tile.
So I ran with it. Priming the tile with 2 coats of it Without sanding! The HORROR!!!
*my tile was not glossy and it was already textured...
I then painted all the grout lines the same color I would eventually paint my cabinets...it was a BEHR latex paint, satin finish (not that it matters)
I then painstakingly painted with a small brush each individual tile with the color I chose. I wanted to retain the look of tiles so that's why I did the grout lines in a different color. Unfortunately, it looks like I don't have a pic of this step.
Here you can see the tile that's not shinny. that's with the 2 coats of paint.
The shinny tiles are because of the last step. Epoxy.
Now epoxy is tricky because it's soo thick and sticky and takes a long time to dry. When I first started I did each individual tile because I didn't want it in the grout lines (my attempt at making it look like real tile) so that's why I taped it all off.
...but that was overkill. really.
It was time consuming, tedious and unecessary. really.
...working my way around!
By the end, I was just slapping the epoxy on everywhere, grout and all. And to be honest, I'm just as pleased.
*One thing to note with epoxy on a vertical surface, it drips very slowly for a very long time...4 hrs or so. make sure counter is protected and continually catch those nasty drips!
It's SO easy to clean!
Kitchen before...
Kitchen after...
*to see the whole makeover, mostly with elbow grease and paint, see my other related posts.

• Nicole

What color are your counter tops? We inherited a house with-out a kitchen. My husband and I are using your kitchen as an inspiration!!. We love your cabinets and the colors are just what we really want to start with. We are starting literally from scratch. any information you would like to share would be appreciated. my email is battles.sales@gmail.com. Thank you in advance.

• Margaret

I love it. Can you paint floor tile this way also? I would like to do mine.

• Gail

do you have to use the epoxy or can you just use paint?

• Zarina Jones

Awesome job! I recently painted my cabinets and wondering what to do with my back splash? Now I know! Thanks.

• Caroll 'van Dalen' Foster

I hate my kitchen. Don't want to spend a lot of money on a house I don't like so I am definitely going to paint my backsplash. They used floor tiles for the backsplash. They are hideous for both. I wonder if I can paint my ugly granite countertops?