An Old Screen Door Made New Again for Our Deck!

$20

I’m starting to (finally!!!) hack away at a few of the non-essential updates that still need to be completed around the house 🙂 It sure is nice to have little puttery home projects to do now that don’t also include a stressful deadline. All but one of our exterior doors is new and they have all desperately needed to be painted since their installation. Up until now I simply had more pertinent projects to
an old screen door made new again for our deck , decks, doors, how to, painting
New doors come with trim included and it is all primed and ready to go for paint. The trim still took two coats of a flat white exterior paint I picked up at Ace. I also went ahead and painted the already white trim around the glass on the door because, after being outside for over a year, it wasn’t exactly “white” anymore! With the white on the trim and door painted I went out to find the old screen door.
You can see it also wasn’t wide enough so I had to add a 2×2 to the side of it.
I then used some 1xs I had leftover to extend the bottom to make the door taller by sandwiching it between them across the bottom.
From there, it was on to paint! Yes, I was a little sad about losing that awesome old green color – which happens to be one of my favorite colors actually. But my little heart called for all of the screened in doors in this house to be red.
I used gloss red rustoleum for the color not because I needed rust-proof paint but because it is the exact shade of red that I wanted and I happened to have it on hand! I left the hinges just as they were in all of their rusty glory 🙂 I also picked up a new screen door chain to pull the door closed.
Finally all done! If you happened to check out my reveal of our kitchen then you know that this is one of two glass exterior doors that flank the room. I don’t have any more old screen doors lying around so I’m going to have to go find one to match at our salvage depot! My dream has always been that in the summer time I can leave both of our glass exterior doors open to let in the summer breeze! I love that this old screen door has been patched a couple of times. I have no doubt that it was either my grandma or grandpa who did the patching!

• Red Rustoleum Paint  (Ace Hardware)
  • Paint Brushes  (Ace Hardware)
  • White extopr paint  (Ace Hardware)
GrandmasHouseDIY

• Marilyn Corbett

I have old fashioned screen doors on my 3 exterior steel doors. Love the open air in the warm weather and that old familiar sound of the screen door closing. And the look is perfect on our house.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Yes, isn't it a wonderful sound! Seems like screen doors are coming back in a big way, I love them.

• Ann Zinsmeister

Two semi fancy screen doors replace the slider screen on the french doors. Always have had slamming screen doors so I knew when the kids left the house .

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Very cool! We have a six foot french door on our deck and I was trying to figure out how to have two hinged screen doors instead of a slider!