Repurposed Porch Swing

This was a fun to do! All custom ordered from a great couple! They threw caution to the wind and told me to do my "thang" and voila - here it is! Honestly, I was worried I couldn't pull this off at first. A young couple came in and told me they were on the hunt for a new porch swing and decided if anyone could bring their idea to life I could! ( pretty honoured they thought of me, not going to lie) So, they had scooped up some dog beds from a pet store. ( brilliant considering how much normal cushions cost) They were too stinkin cute!

The couple threw out some ideas they had, sent me a photo of them sitting on the pillows in the place they would one day like a swing. Told me they wanted something in a Blue Black, and that they would prefer the pillows to be wider front to back than side to side. Makes sense to me! I gave them the option of new wood or a repurposed swing. Crossed my fingers for repurposed and SCORE!!!!! They went with repurposed! So here is the little project laid out all nice for you! P.s. this thing is deep and comfortable and oh so heavenly!

The back before
During construction. Big ol fun mess!
The base before.

HAD to test it out before we painted her up!

I had to create a custom colour. They requested a midnight blue - or Black Blue. Crossed my fingers I mixed it right!

Now this wasn't by request, however, they gave me some cushions they were going to use, so I could build to size. There was this turquoise colour on them that I thought I would pull into the decorative trim a little. It's stunning. I felt it needed a little accenting.

Heres a good example of the pillows and the trim together. And why I decided to add in the accent.

Here's a good example of the pillows and the trim together.

• Louise

How did you keep it from tipping back. As I see no ropes attached to the back.

• Ethel Mercer

What did you use to hang the swing with and what was the thickness,can I use heavy chain like with ordinary porch swings and what did you use for support hooks my guess would have to be eyelets but more heavier and more industrial idea looks awesome but need more feed back on how to secure it properly,thank you

• Sadie

I would love to make this for our patio, but if I wanted to do this, how would I go about making a structure that would support it? Also, how would the rope be fastened? That was not covered. I think I would prefer to have it free standing, that way I could have a roof put on it so I could swing in the rain if i felt like it and not get wet. Please let me know how I can accomplish this, thank you

• Joanie

I remember the ropes comin' up from the seat and thru the arms of the swing??? A memory just run thru my mind. My Daddy had one on our breezeway. Not quite as nice as this, it was bought from the hardware store.

• Shawna Shovelski

How do you keep it from flipping backwards? I only see the ropes on the ends. I absolutely love the way this looks. What a wonderful idea And definitely opens up some great ideas I had never thought of before.