Repurposed Porch Swing

This was a fun to do! All custom ordered from a great couple! They threw caution to the wind and told me to do my "thang" and voila - here it is! Honestly, I was worried I couldn't pull this off at first. A young couple came in and told me they were on the hunt for a new porch swing and decided if anyone could bring their idea to life I could! ( pretty honoured they thought of me, not going to lie) So, they had scooped up some dog beds from a pet store. ( brilliant considering how much normal cushions cost) They were too stinkin cute!

repurposed porch swing, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Here s a good example of the pillows and the trim together

The couple threw out some ideas they had, sent me a photo of them sitting on the pillows in the place they would one day like a swing. Told me they wanted something in a Blue Black, and that they would prefer the pillows to be wider front to back than side to side. Makes sense to me! I gave them the option of new wood or a repurposed swing. Crossed my fingers for repurposed and SCORE!!!!! They went with repurposed! So here is the little project laid out all nice for you! P.s. this thing is deep and comfortable and oh so heavenly!

The back before
The back before
During construction. Big ol fun mess!
During construction. Big ol fun mess!
The base before.
The base before.
repurposed porch swing, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, HAD to test it out before we painted her up

HAD to test it out before we painted her up!

repurposed porch swing, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, I had to create a custom colour They requested a midnight blue or Black Blue Crossed my fingers I mixed it right

I had to create a custom colour. They requested a midnight blue - or Black Blue. Crossed my fingers I mixed it right!

repurposed porch swing, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Now this wasn t by request however they gave me some cushions they were going to use so I could build to size There was this turqouise colour on them that I thought I would pull into the decorative trim a little It s stunning I felt it needed a little accenting

Now this wasn't by request, however, they gave me some cushions they were going to use, so I could build to size. There was this turquoise colour on them that I thought I would pull into the decorative trim a little. It's stunning. I felt it needed a little accenting.

repurposed porch swing, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
Heres a good example of the pillows and the trim together. And why I decided to add in the accent.

Here's a good example of the pillows and the trim together.

• Deb

Can you make one for me??? I LOVE this swing!!

• Jasmin

Hi Deb. I am actually in Canada. Shipping something of this size to the States would be about 3 times what the actual cost to make it is. I would recommend googling for a local repurposer and showing them these photos and see if they can replicate something similar. To be honest - I only create with what is given to me to save from the dump and ornate headboards aren't usually available in large numbers around here. However I am sure if you can google and find a local designer, they may be able to help you out.

• Hlpinghand

Instructions for the repurposed swing--Your photos are really good and show a lot, but could you give some instructions on how you attached the spindles to the arms. Also, what's it look like underneath--I'd like to see how you attached the ropes. What a great job you did! Barb

• Jasmin

Hi! I actually only created the swing. My clients hung this themselves. I don't do structural installs and didn't want to be liable for it crashing down on them. If you look closely at the very first photo you can see what they used to attach the rope to the swing. I am not sure what they used in the ceiling of the porch. This project was created a few years ago and I have since done hundreds of other projects, sadly I do not have photos anywhere of what the bottom of it looks like. I would assume I just painted it to match the rest.

• Hlpinghand

Jasmin, thank you so much for your answer! And I think it's a very smart idea about letting your clients do their own installs! Not only about the crashing part, but also the potential of damaging a support beam (which I'd never thought about until I read your reply)! So in addition to being artistically talented, you're also very smart!

• Jasmin

Thank you :)

• Lesley Owens

Not a question, just a comment. I have a dumpster-find of a couch with a GORGEOUS curved wood frame, on the top and arms. I'm planning to use pallet wood to "fill in" the swing sections. Your post, with the inclusion of the dog beds just solved my problem for making it comfy THANK YOU!

• Angie

What did you use to attach the headboard to the door?
  • Beatriz

How did you attach the seat to headboard to make it sturdy.

• KDS

How did you attach the ropes so it is stable?

• Charles Ester

Hard to tell what they did, but i would just use an I bolt through a hole in the botton board

• Theresa Zeth

You didn't tell how to attach the rope!! Very important step!! Beautiful the way this turned out!!

• Joelene DeFranco

How do you actually move as a swing in the small space? Even a bench would be awesome. It's beautiful!

• Robert Browning

Looks just Fine to Me,,

Good Job.

• Cheryl

Adults don’t really want to swing out and back like children. It’s a gentle swaying motion. In my opinion.

• Joseph N DeFranco

Of course, it is not for swinging in and out. However from this photo just getting up off of the swing it will bang up against the brick wall. My comment is not about the beautiful swing in it's self; it is about its position. I see very little swaying taking place here. In my opinion.

• Louise

How did you keep it from tipping back. As I see no ropes attached to the back.

• Ethel Mercer

What did you use to hang the swing with and what was the thickness,can I use heavy chain like with ordinary porch swings and what did you use for support hooks my guess would have to be eyelets but more heavier and more industrial idea looks awesome but need more feed back on how to secure it properly,thank you

• Sherri Roll

It looks like they used Eye Bolts and I'm sure chain would work, may not be as visually appealing but would worka

• Rosemary Richards

There is heavy duty eye bolts that you can use to hang it with

• Sadie

I would love to make this for our patio, but if I wanted to do this, how would I go about making a structure that would support it? Also, how would the rope be fastened? That was not covered. I think I would prefer to have it free standing, that way I could have a roof put on it so I could swing in the rain if i felt like it and not get wet. Please let me know how I can accomplish this, thank you

• Joanie

So far this is MY favorite swing. I love rope on a swing, It looks very sturdy. Your color scheme is totally lovely. So is the guy sitting with you. He is NOT hard to look at......good lookin' young man!!

• Joanie

I remember the ropes comin' up from the seat and thru the arms of the swing??? A memory just run thru my mind. My Daddy had one on our breezeway. Not quite as nice as this, it was bought from the hardware store.