Homeology.co.za
Homeology.co.za
  • South Africa

Quick DIY: Copper and Pine Shelves

$30

How to Make Pretty Copper and Pine Shelves These pine shelves are really very easy to do and they look great, so I thought it’s time to share the step-by-step of how to make your own pretty copper and pine shelves. My friend Margaux took the pretty pictures!

quick diy how to make pretty copper and pine shelves, crafts, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, woodworking projects

You’ll need:

• 800mm copper piping
  • 2 copper brackets to fit the pipe*
  • 20m of 4mm ski rope
  • 3x 280mm deep pine shelves, cut to 700mm, 500mm and 300mm lengths
  • Paint in a colour of your choice
  • Clear wood sealer or raw linseed oil
  • 4.5mm wood drill bit
  • Nail-in anchors to fix the pipe brackets to the wall
  • 100 grit sandpaper for an electric sander
  • Jigsaw
  • Sander
  • Hammer drill for wall fixing

*I couldn’t find copper saddle brackets when I made mine, so I used steel ones and sprayed them with copper paint.

STEP 1:

Measure where the holes are going to be drilled into the wood: 25mm from the edges of the shelves. Then drill 4 holes in each shelf, using the 4.5mm wood drill bit.

STEP 2:

Sand the wooden shelves so that they are smooth – especially focus on the edges and the drill holes. This is a great activity to get your kids involved in, under supervision of course!

STEP 3:

After adding optional color detail to the edges, finish the shelves with clear varnish or raw linseed oil. If the unit will have to withstand a bit of moisture or dirt, then a clear varnish is better.

STEP 4:

Thread the rope through the holes in each shelf, see how I did it and kept the rope from fraying here.

When you’re happy with the length of the loops, tightly knot the free ends at the bottom of the right and left back holes.

STEP 5:

Fix the brackets to the wall and hang your beautiful shelf!

For the rope loops measurement guide head to the full post on Homeology.

Happy home-making!

• 800mm copper piping
  • 2 copper brackets to fit the pipe
  • 20m of 4mm ski rope

Homeology.co.za

• Lor7605227

How much weight could these hold? They are a pretty wall decoration! But how functional? Like another commenter I could see these used fir carious purposes all over the home--especially the bath.

• Jan DeJaegher

I would put copper caps on the ends of the pipe. Nice finish to the pipe and will keep pipe from slipping off the bracket.

• Lionnessone

What did you use to stop the copper bar from sliding off the ends of the hooks and how did you sucure them??

• Homeology.co.za

Hi - I didn't secure it actually. The weight of the shelves pulling down prevents the pipe from moving side to side. But I think simple rubber O-rings over the pipe, moved up the brackets will secure it pretty well.

• KD Redlowske

I see this is an old posting and I am glad they reposted. I love this and I am saving to my home page for a future project, (I've been busy painting baseboards and doors). It may take me a year or so. :-)

• Homeology.co.za

Perfect! It's such a satisfying project