How to Create a Faux Denim Look on Painted Furniture

I recently discovered a technique for creating a denim look and tried it out on a sign board with my daughter & her friend. I thought I'd apply the same faux denim look to some furniture for a teen or tween room.
My canvas: dated orange pine bedsides!
I started with these orange pine bedside tables, which were pretty scratched up and looking pretty sad. :(
So I sanded them back with my orbital sander. I usually don't sand back this far when using furniture paint, but these had some pretty decent 'dings' in them, so I went to town with the sander.
All sanded back.
Next, I painted a base of white, which is important for the proper denim effect to work out well. I used Fusion Mineral Paint's white colour, Casement for the base. You'll only need one coat, as it is just a base for the effect we're creating.
Blank canvas, ready for the next step.
In these next steps, I'll show you how to create the denim effect a section at a time.
Have an old pair of jeans ready, and if you need to visualise where you'll want the pattern to go, you can lay the jeans on top to have a look first.
Then, using a blue paint (I used Fusion Mineral Paint's Liberty Blue), paint a fairly generous but even layer of paint on the top of the bedside table.
While the paint is still wet (it is important that it is done immediately), lay the jeans on top in position.
Press down the jeans, firmly rubbing everywhere - along the seams, all over the fabric, pockets, etc.
Peel back the jeans and watch the magic!!
I KNOW RIGHT??!!
Awesomeness right there ...
After peeling back the denim jeans.
Next, move to the sides and front of the bedside base (minus the drawers, remove these for the time being).
Working your way around the sides and front, paint, then press the denim in randomly around the surface, the more seams, the better the effect for this step.
Press denim jeans randomly on sides.
Here, you can see the seams create a great denim look along the front drawer holders too.
Next, line up your jeans on top of the bedside table, since by now, the top should be touch dry and you are ready to begin work on the drawers.
Starting with the top drawer, follow the steps: paint, press in the jeans, peel away.
Lay jeans down, press legs to drawer, peel up
Then move to the second drawer, then the third until completed.
I added back the original silver knobs these drawers came with as they reminded me of silver buttons on denim jeans.
Step back and admire your work!
Note: I learned this awesome technique watching Fiona Debell, (a painting workshop specialist from Canada) as she created a wooden signboard with denim imprints. So many possibilities with all types of fabrics!
See the video below where I made over the second bedside during a Hometalk Facebook Live DIY Demo last week! You won't want to miss the spontaneous idea my husband (the camera guy) suggested halfway through!

I Restore Stuff

• Warren Lester

So, is this chest of drawers only going to store jeans? You should’ve had one Jean leg cover the front of the drawers from side to side.

• Lenora Ziobro

How about using that process on kitchen chairs?

• Tammy

I was wondering if that might work with doilues?? A lace curtain from the dollar store.. kinda like the old style sponge painting???

• Sharon

Yes I’ve seen it work for all sorts of materials. Great ideas.