Pinspired to DIY
Pinspired to DIY
  • Loomis, CA

How to Create a Fairy House From a Concrete Block

Now that Fall is approaching and the outside temperature has become bearable again (it’s a little awful when it’s above 100…), my 6 year old daughter and I decided it’s the perfect time of year to do an outdoor project together that we would both enjoy.
how to create a fairy house from a concrete block, concrete masonry, crafts, gardening, how to, outdoor living
We have a large oak tree behind our house that has a rock bed around it that was put there by the previous owner of the home. Inside the rock bed, the ground just sprouts tall, dry, ugly weeds in the Summer and Fall, and somewhat greener ugly weeds in the winter and Spring (assuming we get any rainfall).
As you can see from the above picture, we had a small fairy house attached to the front of the tree that my husband made of wood, and then my mother-in-law painted. This was done for my daughter’s 3rd birthday party which had a fairy theme. You can see those fun party details here: http://www.pinspirationmommy.com/magical-fairy-birthday-party/
We thought it would be fun to add on to that single fairy house and create an entire fairy garden in the area under the tree. So we spent quite some time clearing out all the weeds and putting down weed blocker.
Then it was time to begin building our fairy garden! First, we decided to build another fairy house. Since my 6 year old daughter was helping, I wanted to create a fairy house using materials and methods that she could help with at each step. We have a lot of concrete bricks around our property from the previous owner’s random projects, so I figured a concrete block would make a cheap and easy base to begin with.
Other than the concrete block, we purchased all of our supplies at Hobby Lobby (you can see the full list of supplies and more detailed instructions on my blog at the link below).
First we used decorative wood craft moulding to create the door frame and window frames.
We used mosaic tiles for the windows and then created a door using craft wood sticks.
My daughter chose the colors for the fairy house and she wanted a blue and green color scheme. We painted the door and window moulding blue and then painted the door a darker bluish-grey.
We added more decorative moulding to the front sides and the top front of the block and painted those green.
We then adhered flat glass beads to the front of the block.
Next, using wood craft sticks, we built the roof.
And then painted it blue.
We then moved the fairy house to its intended location where I gave the wood sections of the house three coats of exterior spar urethane.
My daughter then wanted to add "fairy dust" to the house, so we glitter-bombed the heck out of that fairy house! The little fairies inhabiting this dwelling will not be short on fairy dust for some time, I can assure you of that! :-)
The fairy garden is a fun mother-daughter project that we can continue to work on and build. Plus, my daughter has never been so excited about one of my projects before!

• Glass beads  (Hobby Lobby)
  • Concrete block
  • Adhesive  (Hobby Lobby)

Pinspired to DIY

• Leah Crosby

I have a 6 year old son. While I don't think he would be wild about making a fairy house, I still think this is a project he would love to do, a troll house perhaps. Other than the lack of fairy dust, how else might you change it? I was thinking of moss of some sort on the roof but would want it to hold up to the elements. Not sure if grumpy trolls would like pretty glass beads either but who knows. My little troll is only six, after all. Lol what are your thoughts?

• Valerie Suell

Another idea for roofing material is pine cones. I have been collecting some for that very reason. Break them up and use the "leaves" of the pine cone as shingles. Also, I think there is a way to use green paint mixed with glue to create a slime kind of decor. Yes, there are many ways to make this project boy friendly. Think Shrek. And have FUN! 👻

• Karen Faria

Which adhesive was used on the concrete ?

• Nevnev

Hi, I was thinking of doing something similar but was not sure how it will hold up on cold snowy and rainy winter days or even those hot summer days. How do you protect your fairy garden from the changing weather? Thank you

• Eva Luckinbill

I converted my grandchildren's sandbox (now outgrown) to a fairy garden. I bought house shaped, ceramic cookie jars from the thrift shop, glued the tops on and placed around the box. I then placed some small tree stumps in clusters and used a variety of small, perennial plants from the fairy section of the garden shop to fill in areas. Also bought small stones from the dollar store to make paths and to cover plywood pieces to make a roof for a topless house shaped planter i found. I removed the houses and rock paths to the garden shed for the winter. Hope all my perennials come back this spring. Counting on some fun replacing the houses, maybe adding a new one.

• Lars Busk

A fairy comes home, opens the door, and hammers his head into the concrete .
  • Sheila

I'm going to make this but I'm going to have the door and windows on the open side this way I can put a battery powered candle in so it will light up at night