Nautical/Coastal Reclaimed Wood Sunburst Mirror

Looking around my work shop, I was inspired to make this sunburst mirror!
Never having made one before, I had to wing it, but I was happy with the outcome.
First, I gather wood bits and a mirror. Make sure your wood is sanded if needed before you begin. I waited until it was put together, and if I ever make another one, I will sand them first! I used wood glue and screws to hold the pieces together. For the smaller/thinner pieces, I used wood glue and brads.
Next I did a quick dry fit, then started piecing it together. The round piece of wood was a cut out from a previous project. If you have a solid piece of wood, it would work better to attach all your pieces. Just make sure you dry fit your mirror first.
I used my band saw to round out the inward curves, but you could use a jigsaw too. I put wood glue on each piece and attached them with screws.
After it was all assembled, I added the mirror. It was already mounted from the frame it was in, so i used glue and brads to attach it.
I used white and blue paint, and a little gray stain at random. When I was happy with the look, I let it dry and moved on to the trim on the mirror.
I cut my rope and used professional strength hot glue to attach.
Next, I gathered seashells, coastal trinkets and even used palm fronds! Hot glued most and where I could, used screws. The last step was to add a hanger on the back. I used picture wire and screws with washers to attach. Thanks for lookin' :)

• Wood scraps  (Left over from other projects)
  • Mirror  (Thrift store)
  • Nautical/coastal trinkets  (Thrift stores over time)

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/Junkdrunkrepurposedstuff

• Lori

Love this! May I ask where did you find the anchor??.

• Suzette

The anchor is brown and is at the bottom, slightly left under the mirror. LOL

• Marnidarr

Beautiful! What are the curly things? Like giant wide curly grass. Love to find some here.
  • Carol Johnson

I like the one in the window with hinges, or was that what it was.

Carol

• Suzette

Hi Carol, This is all the same one. The outside lighting makes it look different.

Thanks for lookin' :)

• Dory

Awesome

• Meem Kaplan

I so love this mirror! I keep coming back to it and maybe I'll try to make one. This and the pebbled mosaic pathways. My absolute favorites! I have old genuine fish nets for my valances and seashells hanging from the bottoms of the curled panels with finds from the shore hanging in the fishnet valances. Also fishing rods crossed on the paneled wall (from my dad). I MUST do this mirror! It is simply gorgeous!

• Suzette

Thank you so much Meem! I usually sell most of what I make, or it's commissioned, but I kept this one! Your decor sounds wonderful! If you make a mirror similar to mine, please share it with me!!

Thanks again,

Suzette