No-Rub Magic DIY Cleaner & Degreaser for Your Kitchen Hood

$4

Seriously. Do you remember last time you cleaned your kitchen hood? I do: Never! So it’s time to tackle the “Hood Project” and give it some love. I was lucky to find a magic no-rub recipe that will dissolve the grease in no time -- perhaps the easiest and most satisfying thing I’ve ever used. Need to know how it works? Read on!

Who'd have thought cleaning the hood was easy

After perusing the internet looking for a recipe, I realized that my cleaning cabinet contained all ingredients needed to make this magic formula. Can you take a guess?

Time to give this hood the magic cleaner!

You know the magic of Dawn and Vinegar when it comes to get rid of grease, and the power of baking soda. Combine this with water and voila! And the best part is that it doesn’t need any elbow grease.

Four ingredients is all you need!

STEP 1: GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS

Here’s what you’ll need:

(recommended) (Amazon)

Ready? Let’s get started!

First thing is first: remove all filters

STEP 2: REMOVE FILTERS OFF THE HOOD BEFORE CLEANING

Before we start concocting, remove all filters off the hood. TIP: To protect your countertop, place a kitchen rag underneath your ingredients. A little hot water and cleaner may spill as you move filters and spoons around. Get your materials ready and put them next to the stove. Now it’s time to make the solution!

Let’s start by adding water to the pot

STEP 3: ADD WATER TO THE POT & BRING IT TO A BOIL

Grab the tallest pot you have in your kitchen: one that fits the filters all the way in is best! Start making the DIY Magic Cleaner by filling the pot with tap water. Don’t worry about using hot tap water, we’re going to heat it anyway! TIP: Don’t fill the pot all the way up! Leave at least 2” clearance off the top. The baking soda is going to fizz and we don’t want it to spill all over. Put the pot on the stove, turn the flame on and wait a few minutes.

Next comes the vinegar!

STEP 4: VINEGAR IS NEXT!

Get a cup (no need to use a measuring cup) and fill it up with vinegar. Then add it to the warm water. Vinegar is one of my favorite cleaners, and works well removing grease, especially when combined with Dawn! TIP: Don’t wait till the water is about to boil - Lukewarm is just fine. We still need to throw the soap and baking soda in before it gets too hot.

Ready for the blue magic?

STEP 5: LET’S ADD THE DAWN SOAP NOW

Grab the tablespoon and measure 1 full tablespoon of Dawn soap. Add it to the warm water. I prefer the blue (i.e. Classic) Dawn. It’s an excellent degreaser! TIP: You can use FAIRY if you’re in Europe. Repeat 3 times, to make 3 tablespoons. Get the wooden spoon and stir well, so the vinegar and soap mix with the water. Keep the stove on high heat and get your baking soda ready.

Let’s make the Magic Cleaner explosive!

STEP 6: BAKING SODA IS LAST!

Fill 1/2 a cup with baking soda. I used about 1/3, but if your filters are really dirty go with 1/2 cup. Use the tablespoon to slowly add the soda to the hot water, one spoon at a time. If your water is too hot (or about to boil) be extra careful. TIP: You can add an ice cube to cool it down a bit. CAUTION: Baking soda will fizz as you add it to the hot water. Add one tablespoon at a time, stir, and wait a few seconds before you continue. If you see the cleaner “expanding” in your pot, turn the stove off -- or lower the flame to a minimum -- and continue adding the soda, a bit at a time, until you’re done.

Yes, we’re done. Time to turn the stove off.

STEP 7: IS IT BOILING YET? TURN THE STOVE OFF: WE’RE READY TO ROCK!

Keep stirring with the wooden spoon to make sure all ingredients -- especially the baking soda -- are well mixed. Keep the stove on until it begins boil, and then turn it off. Get your filters ready and let the fun begin!

Put the filters in & let the Dawn Love work!

STEP 8: PLACE FILTERS IN THE POT TO GET THE GREASE OFF

Get the first filter and put it in the water. Let it sit for a few minutes. I pulled it out in 30 seconds and -- amazing! -- most of the grease had already dissolved! But I waited a few more minutes before turning it over. I couldn’t believe how quickly -- and easily -- the grease melted. Really! If yours is older or thicker, it may take a little longer. I found the solution to be very effective without needing to scrub. But if there’s still grease adhered to the filter, use a scrubber or an old toothbrush to remove it. TIP: Keep the filter in the pot while you’re scrubbing.

Turn it around to clean the other side

STEP 9: TURN FILTER AROUND

Unless you’re able to fully fit the filter in the pot, you still have the top area to clean. So turn it around and insert the top into the cleaning solution. TIP: Again use the toothbrush to remove any grease that is still there.

Use a small brush to rinse the cleaner off

STEP 10: RINSE & BRUSH TO GET THE MAGIC LOVE OUT

Once you’re done, bring it to the sink and give it a good rinse to get rid of the remaining grease and soapy water. TIP: Use the brush to ensure the filter gets a good rinse, bringing the water into the grooves and getting rid of the remaining soap.

Keep going with filter 2 & 3 till you’re done

STEP 11: KEEP GOING! WE’RE ALMOST DONE

Repeat STEP 8-10 with all your filters, scrubbing if necessary, and turning them around once the bottoms are clean. Again, once each filter is clean, give it a rinse and let it air dry. Now, we’re done!

Let’s do the hood next: underside goes first

STEP 12: ALMOST DONE! BUT FIRST, LET’S CLEAN THE GREASE OFF THE HOOD.

That was easy, right? But I’d guess you also want to clean the hood. The good news is that you can use the same cleaner! CAUTION: Make sure the cleaner is not boiling hot, or you may end up with a scalded hand! Just dip the sponge/scrubber in enough to get it moist, without fully submerging your hand into the liquid. TIP: If it’s too hot, wait a bit until it cools down or add an ice cube. Either way, grab a sponge or scrubber and dip it in the Magic Cleaner. Squeeze to remove excess liquid. Gently rub the sponge on the hood, concentrating in the greasy spots. Rinse the sponge under the faucet as it gets dirty and keep moving until you’re done.

Let’s wrap this up, shall we?

STEP 13: CLEAN THE TOP NEXT AND WE’RE DONE.

Repeat STEP 12 on the canopy, front, and sides, or as needed. Use a lint free rag or microfiber cleaning cloth to dry it. TIP: Don’t worry about the cleaner leaving streaks on the stainless steel, you can apply a steel cleaner for a seamless finish. CAUTION: Again, don’t use the solution if it’s still very hot, and make sure your hood is stainless steel, and not painted. Some appliances -- usually refrigerators -- have a stainless steel finish PAINT that looks like steel: The paint may get damaged with the solution. If you’re not sure, test it in a corner first! After you’ve finished cleaning the hood and once it’s dry, feel free to use a stainless steel cleaner to get rid of the streaks. There are a few out there, you can get them online or at your home center (Home Depot, etc.) Or you can try first with soapy water. Luckily, I didn’t need to use cleaner. I’m so happy with my NEW FILTERS! And the best part was how easy it was to get that grease off. If you enjoyed this post, and want to receive updates, follow me. And for more on kitchen cleaning, find how to get SPARKLING FAUCETS here - http://www.hometalk.com/22372615/quick-n-easy-non-toxic-diy-cleaner-to-make-your-faucet-sparkle-again - to make NON TOXIC WIPES check - http://www.hometalk.com/20996563/non-toxic-reusable-diy-cleaning-wipes - and to CLEAN YOUR BLINDS with tongs and chopstick go to http://www.hometalk.com/18742408/get-your-blinds-shining-with-a-dyi-tongs-chopsticks-tool- Next week I’ll be getting rid of pesky stains, often hard to remove. Stay tuned!

• Ellen Biastock

So how do I get greasy build up off painted range hood?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Ellen, You can try this mix as well. Apply with a soft sponge or mild scrubber, first in a small hidden area to ensure the cleaner won't discolor or damage the paint. :)

• Ell12171869

Put some vegetable oil on a paper towel, and wipe it across the range hood!! It is amazing!!

• Terri

Elephant, wouldn't that leave a sticky film once it was heated, that would not only attract dust but would also be a base where oil steam from frying will accumulate quicker?

• Terri

Forgive the spell check on your name Ellyphant.

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Also, Murphy soap may work. Removes grease well off wood - follow instructions for diluting proportions.

• AnnMarie Wiley

Suggestion on equivalent product to Dawn original blue, in Australia. Many thanks AnnMarie

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi AnnMarie - do you have Fairy? I know they have it in Europe. If not, any dishwashing liquid soap (especially those "tough on grease") would make.

• Dana

Yes we have Fairy. I also like to use Earth Brand soap. It in my opinion is very good.

• Mciuro

How do i get rid of fruit flies Michele C

• Annie

I have had success with just placing a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar on my kitchen counter. The fruit flies love it.

• Lin10585641

A small cup filled 1/2 way or so with cider vinegar and a tsp. or so of Dawn dish soap sitting out on the counter will attract the fruit flies. It takes awhile, but it works!

• Deanne

apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap added.

• HELENE

Place corks from wine bottles around fruit/tomatoes -fruit flies hate the sell of alcohol - good luck.

• Susan Dye

get rid of any and all rotting, or just starting to rot, fruit/vegetables you have sitting out.

• Ann

Put the fruit in the fridge. Tomatoes, though, lose flavor in the fridge, so put in paper bag and leave on counter. Or, leave them on a porch or garage.

• Ann

• Delbert Joseph Sampson

best 2x4 rack for tire storage?

• Kit6208770

Can I use this in the oven

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

I don't have any experience yet for the oven. I'd try perhaps the DAWN diluted in water with baking soda. You can apply when oven is still a little hot, after cooking. It may work better! :)

• Fir8927401

On Step 5 if you add 1 T Dawn and then repeat that 3x.... doesn't that give you 4T total? You state it gives you 3T. My math says 1T + 3T = 4T

• Pat Strode Corio

can i use this mixture to clean the grease off wood cabinets as well.i rented a house n the cabinets have alot of built up grease on them .i have tried alot of different cleaners n they are not working that well.ty for any advise.

• Karen J Moseley

Yes! I use this same mixture for cleaning every thing in my home.

• Cindy Fisher

I clean with this solution on EVERYTHING, even mirrors!!! Except, I didn't add the baking soda...just water, vinegar, and dawn soap! It will literally clean just about anything, you WANT to!!! Try it!!

• Pat Strode Corio

TYVM CINDY,I WILL TRY THIS.I HOPE IT WORKS

• Joanna

Tips for how to make something g similar work in the oven?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Joanna, don't have any experience yet for the oven. I'd try perhaps the DAWN diluted in water with baking soda. You can apply when oven is still a little hot, after cooking. It may work better!

• Stacey

What is an easy way to get oven racks cleaned ?

• Mlfruit1

soak them in oxy-clean

• Cynthia Tom ko

Soak the racks in hot water with ammonia and soap over night. The grim falls away.

• Joanne G

Put the racks in a large trash bag and spray with oven cleaner all the surfaces. Tie the bag tightly and leave overnight. In the a.m. Remove racks and rinse clean with water. No scrubbing. Sparkling clean.

• Alice

I always do this during the summer. Put racks in large trash bag out on the patio (not on the grass or vegetation, in case of leaks!), add a cup or so of ammonia to the bag, tie it tightly closed, and let stand overnight. I'm always amazed at how well the fumes eat through the gunk! Then I rinse them with a garden hose.

• Mary

Put them in self cleaning oven when I clean the oven. Gas stove cast oven racks only.

• Baby

What kind of container did you use to put the oven racks in? I have a granite sink, and can't put ammonia in it.

• Val

My microwave is over the stove. Can I used this recipe to clean the under part of microwave?

• Pamela Mullarkey

I should think so it is not abrasive visit so should not scrach

• Pamela Mullarkey

There are certain have you can buy to do this but the k they are big enough but if it was me I would try the above solution first again it will not hurt them

• Alma

Thank you, excellent formula but, does it have the be Dawn?

• Teresa Hall

Ajax liquid dish soap may work.as,well. I only use Ajax and it is cheaper and cuts grease as,well as Dawn. In my opinion. And it comes in different smells also,and tge regular gold looking one.

• Liz

No sunlight soap is just as good.

• Adele

Dawn contains ammonia. That is what makes it work so well. If you choose a less expensive product, check the ingredients.

• MiTmite9

Use a dish soap other than Dawn, from a company which doesn't test on animals. P & G still conducts animal testing.

• Alma

Thank you very much for all the opinions you are appreciated!

• Bre12776982

think you could try putting the hot water mixture in a cake tin 9x13 or baking sheet with rim keep the pan over heat, so it doesn't cool would this work?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Brenda, I'm going to try next time though the water temperature seems to play a role. Don't think you can keep the water as hot in a baking sheet, but it may work anyway if you leave it longer. Please let us know how it works if you try! :)

• Debbie Shaffer

Will other detergents beside Dawn work???

• Kelly Howard

Palmolive blue OXY works well too, but cheaper brands just won't cut the grease well enough.

• Helen

Of course

• Pat Donaldson

dawn contains toxic materials and is tested on animals

• Terry Meek

For a quick clean, just let your faucet run until it's hot, make sure the stopper is in of course, and fill up your sink. I have a double sink and I use one side for the soap and vinegar and the other to rinse. I like to use the side that has the disposal so when I let the water out, all the soap/vinegar runs thru my disposal and I get a mini clean of the inside of my disposal. If you want to stick a long handled brush down there, (a NEW toilet brush just for this that's shaped like an oval is the best) and gently go around the insides while the water is draining out, rinse out the sink and disposal once you're done.

• MiTmite9

Pat Donaldson, a woman after my own heart. Yes. Don't use Dawn. It is a Procter & Gamble product, and P & G refuses to stop using guinea pigs, rabbits, mice and dogs (!) to test products.

• UpState

'Dawn' is used to clean crude oil off birds caught in oil spills - regardless of ingredients - I do not think the EPA/SPCA/ etc... would use it if it kills the animals.
      Really ?
      C'mon guys - have some sense.
  • Jackie Byrd

Why didn't you use a lipped cookie sheet? Lay a filter flat in the pan, pour the concoction over it, while its working scrub the rest of the range hood down.

• Sherry

Easier yet to clean the filters of your range hood is to put them in the dishwasher if you have one.

• Susan

That's what I do and it comes out perfect

• Susan

• Kenna

Me too. Dishwasher with vinegar and baking sad and usual DWSoap

• Barbara

I use dishwasher also, but my screens aren't that greasy

• Rhondagreig

All that grease build up on the filters going into your dishwasher is not good for it. If u want your dishwashers to last the last thing u want to put in them is grease . I just had to replace my dishwasher and it had been running good since 1997. NO GREASE IN THE DISHWASHERS!!!

• KIM DELUCA

I run my stove hood filters through the dishwasher every 2 weeks also. I am going to try this receipe for the rest of the hood though and my stove top.

• Maria

Thank you for the great and very detailed , great formula - I will certainly try this out - you are right - all the ingredientsare in my pantry - thank you

• Linda Barrett Dirksen

I do this monthly as well. Easy and very clean. Then I clean the hood with warm dishsoap and water and rinse.

• Ims9141426

Would this formula work on a wood exhaust fan cover? I clean it monthly with a wood based soap but it has now gotten a sticky build up on it and I have tried everything I can think of.

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi, it should work but use lukewarm water instead of very hot and apply with a soft sponge. Rubbing hard may damage the wood, as it softens once it absorbs moisture. Try in a small hidden area first. :)

• Pat10620205

What can you do if you have a painted hood?

• Mary Hart

Try a mixture of equal parts of water and rubbing alcohol. Use an old cloth /rag that doesn't have any fabric softener residue on it. I find that paper towels or rags that have softener in it will leave streaks. I use this on my fridge, stove tops, microwave and other surfaces that are painted that show greasy fingerprints and streaks.

• Pam G Blaxton-Dowd

A paste of baking soda, dish soap, and a dab of water works great on a painted hood. After applying, spray with white vinegar. Wait 30 minutes and wipe clean.

• Mom7406785

we rented a house with heavy grease build up on cabinerts can this cleaner be used on wood?

• Shannon W

I think it would be great but it most likely will take off some of the finish from the cabinets. Usually in that situation the grease has been accumulating for so long it has already become one with the finish and if you clean it too vigorously the grease and the "glaze" from the wood will both come off...

• Mary

I clean my faucet with water n vinegar add a few drops of lemon juice n you get sparkly clean faucet

• Pallet Man

Try washing the cabinets with warm to hot water and TSP (TriSodiumPhosphate). It is available at any place that sells paint supplies because it is used to degrease cabinets and such before painting. It is safe to use. SimpleGreen also works and is safe.

• Pam Cavanaugh

Thank you.

• Anj13199761

Could this mixture be used on shower heads? Or what would you recommend to use to remove lime buildup?

• KKAbsherwrites

White vinegar only. Place in a plastic bag and put shower head in bag - tie or rubber band bag to pipe shower head flows from and leave overnight. Scale should be gone in the morning.

• Carol

Lemon does a lot fot greasy things just rinse well after using

• Out12053847

CLR is magic when it comes to shower heads. I pour some into a bowl and either unscrew the showerhead and let it soak for a few minutes or if it's to hard to remove you can hold the bowl up to, it with your hand. Just be sure you have it deep enough to reach the clogged holes.

• Ann

I use vinegar for shower heads but sometimes when the buildup is too much, I use CLR. I use CLR on stubborn water rings on kitchen and bathroom faucets too. I just put a little on a rag or paper towel and rub them right off.

• Karen Wells

MY outside grill has ru looking spots. how do I get rid of them and protect it from rusting

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Karen, I don't any experience with an outdoor grill. To get rid of the rust, you can try a brillo pad by itself or dipped in baking soda or bar keepers friend. Not sure what to do about preventing rusting. Water causes rust, so perhaps trying to keep them dry? :)

• Jennifer

If you have polished nickel will the lemon and vinegar turn it brown and flat? I used to clean my sinks with vinegar but it turned all the stoppers a dull gray. Let me know!

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Jennifer, I'm not sure. Lemon works on removing hard water stains on stainless steel but I'd be careful with nickel. Maybe there's an online resource? If you decide to try, use either lemon or vinager (not the two together) in a inconspicuous small area and wait 24-48 hrs to see results. Hope this helps. :)

• Angy

Can apple cider vinegar be used instead of the clear kind?

• Hope Groesbeck

yes

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Angy, in this case I'd think so. Otherwise, white vinegar is preferable to apple cider vinegar, since the apple cider may leave a bit of residue (especially if it's unfiltered) :)

• Julia Angleworm

Apple Cider vinegar is not best for cleaning, better for medicinals.Apple Cider carries all the sugar molecules, of applecider.

• Nancy

Could this mixture be used to clean the grills on the gas stove top?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Nancy, I haven't tried but it'll probably work. You can try just the DAWN diluted in water first, and then baking soda if you need it to be more abrasive. I also noticed the grills are easier to clean when they're hot. Hope this helps! :)

• Gil1617025

A really easy way to clean your gas top grill is place them in a large ziplock bag. Pour some ammonia into the bag and let set overnight. Set the bag in the garage or outside. The next day the crud will fall right off. You will have to do very little cleaning on them. We had a real mess in our church parsonage with the stove. I brought them home and did just that. They shine like new. We were all amazed.

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Thanks for sharing! :)

• Mam12189054

How much water do you start with?

• Reb7441931

Great idea...can I use this for super greasy wood cabinets?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Rebecca, I'd first try Murphy soap since it's especially formulated to clean wood. Follow instructions from the manufacturer. If Murphy doesn't remove all grease, you can try this solution (with or without the baking soda) in a small area first before a full application. Keep the water just lukewarm or room temp - especially if the wood is stained - to apply to wood. Hope it helps! :)

• Jill Gale

This sounds like a great method, thanks for posting it. Now I have found a way to keep my filter clean so I never even have to use your method again! Simply place it in the dishwasher once a week or so...BAM! Looks brand new.

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Jill, thanks for sharing :)

• Janice Van Cleve Rasmussen

I don't have a hood, it's a down draft vent. I just put the filters in the dishwasher as needed. I'll pass your recipe on to my daughters in law; I've spent hours cleaning theirs when I visit 😆

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Thanks Janice! Hopefully you won't need to clean their filters anymore with this recipe :)

• Mar9687029

I too put my filters in the dishwasher. So very simple.

• Fog3111340

I also put my filter in my dishwasher and it comes out great, but this is a good recipes to clean the rest of the hood. Thank you.

• Pam Cavanaugh

Could this be used on oak cabinets to clean grease?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Pam, I'd first try Murphy soap since it's especially formulated to clean wood. Follow instructions from the manufacturer. If Murphy doesn't remove all grease, you can try this solution (with or without the baking soda) in a small area first before a full application. Keep the water just lukewarm or room temp - especially if the oak is stained - to apply to wood. Hope it helps! :)

• Melissa V

Note to Pam: Before you buy Murphy's Oil Soap, see if you can open it up and take a whiff 👃. In my opinion the stuff stinks!!! It makes me ill when I smell it-so I would definitely check that first if possible. I like Liquid Gold for wood cabinets-now I have white painted cabinets that I need to clean, but if this concoction is too harsh for that chore, then I'm not using it for anything.

• Adrienne Klein

Can it be put into a spray bottle and use for cleaning cabinets, and counter tops when it is cold?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Addriene, you can try. I haven't, but would be careful with stone or concrete countertops. Vinegar - and other acidic ingredients - damage these materials. You can also try alcohol, distilled water and a bit of Dawn in a spray bottle to clean cabinets and countertops. Wipe well after to remove soap.

• Dave Stansfield

can this cleaner be stored for any length of time?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Dave, you may be able to store it if not used before though I'd recommend to make it and use it right away -- especially since you need to heat the water before adding the other ingredients.

• Rhondalynn

This also works wonders on bathtub/shower soap scum.

• Jewellmartin

This is a great tutorial, with many helpful tips. You can store this in a squirt bottle, except for the baking soda. I sprinkle the soda on the pot or stove top I am trying to clean, then squirt on the vinegar, Dove and water mixture. You need that chemical reaction between the vinegar and baking soda to make cleaning easy. Label the bottle and include directions since you can make several kinds of cleaners, and you want to keep them straight. Best wishes 😇
  • Ellen

Comment. Love this tip. However do you use this same pot to cook pasta or soup??? Of course I would put it in dishwasher to clean. Have a great holiday.

• Jpc15346815

Why not? We add vinegar and baking soda to food items and wash our dishes with Dawn detergent with no ill effects. Even washing it by hand would be enough to clean it.

• Kathi Ploof

There would be no reason NOT to use the pot.

• Jjb8493754

Speaking of the dishwasher, I put my hood filters in the dishwasher. It took a couple of cycles to remove all of the grease, but it beats doing it by hand.

• Sharon Seiber

Could this be used on the outside bottoms of my pans, that are looking awful?

• Andi Risley

I use Barkeepers Friend on those and it's amazing! Follow directions. 😊

• Gail

I use oven cleaner. It works perfectly.

• Kathy

This could be mostly done in the dishwasher? The hood I use a spray that is non-toxic, all natural and the microwave, the same product. The screens and glass come out sparkling and no fuss. Nails still in tack😌

• Linda M. Taylor

I always put filters in dishwasher. I also clean all stainless steel appliances with WD40. Keeps them clean longer and no finger marks on fridge.

• Charlotte

i put mine in the dishwasher and it worked great

• Andi Risley

I usually spray in sink with Simple Green, if they're really dirty. Then rinse and put in dishwasher. 😊

• Donna Szabo

Can this solution be used on kitchen cabinets that have the accumulated gunk around the door knob and inside the stove?

• HL Webber

I would think I would use the clean water first to clean the other parts since after putting the filters in it the water it would be yucky. Maybe I missed that somewhere but if not that is what I would do. Nice tip.

• Smi5370300

Why not put the filters in the dishwasher? I have been this for years, and they come out very clean.

• Pam G Blaxton-Dowd

Much faster. I add vinegar to the DW. They come out shiney-like new. I make a paste of baking soda, dish soap (Palmolive has one with a powerful degreaser) and after wiping onto the hood, I spray with vinegar and let my scrubbing bubbles work. works for knobs and all greasy surfaces.

• Grace

I do the same with mine. Too much work doing it their way. I usually make a mix of vinegar and baking soda and put it a the button of the DW and not only clean the dishes better but it smell better

• Sandra Tofflemire

I put mine in the dishwasher once a month and it looks like brand new.

• Sandra Tofflemire

• SJ

Not everyone has/uses a dishwasher.

• Smi5370300

I don't know anyone that doesn't have one!

• Linda Pimley

Now you do!!

• Fuzzy Bottom

Add another, no dishwasher in this house.

• Constance Rowton Squires

I also put mine in the dishwasher, if you don't have a dishwasher or a large enough pot then use the bathtub. Run the hottest water just enough to cover your filters, mix your solution - I'd mix a double batch for since using a large tub area and let them soak :-) Reserve some of the cleaner to was the tub out with. I don't know about you all put if I put them in a pot I'd make more of a mess lol

• B. Enne

Good suggestions if you don't have a DW. I run mine through the DW too once a month. My cheapy hood is 20 yrs old, and still looks quite new.

• Victoria

Does this work on stove tops as well?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Victoria, though I haven't tried (yet!) it should work. Dawn and Vinegar are good grease cleaners. If you give it a try keep us posted! :)

• Linda

I used it on mine. It works wonderfully! I have a black top (not glass and the retailer talked me into it, big mistake...) on our gas stove and it's a pain to keep clean but this does the trick. If you have stubborn spots make a baking soda and vinegar paste and apply it to the spots, let it sit for a while and gently scrub and the spots will be gone!

• Christine Hoover Richard

Would it work on the cast iron grates on my gas stove? They're big so I put them in the bath tub and soak in hot water + Stanley degreaser and then scrub them. This sure sounds like it works with much less elbow grease!

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Chirstine, not sure but I'd give it try! It may work well. Keep us posted.

• Linda

You can put your cast iron grates in a trash bag with ammonia and leave them over night. They wash like a dream. Also my range hood instructions said I could put them in the dishwasher. They wash well.

• Brenda

Caution. My son's wife did just that, two were done. Next night last two . My son was taking out the garbage early and threw them away!

• Sue

Would this harm a China tea cup and saucer?

• Mim

cleaner for wooden kitchen cabinets, esp. where doors are opned

• Shawna Bailey

I use dishwasher powder (or crumbled tablets ) and a little water to make a paste on my wooden cabinets. it cuts right through that grime

• Mim

thanks Ill give it a try

• Linda Wilkison

It sounds like you can't use it on white hoods. Any suggestions for those?

• Lynn Retlewski

Tryed but grease residu did not come off even let it sit for a while help?
    • Kay Lindsey Guzman-Murillo

I used liquid gel dishwasher soap for mine. Covered in gel, let sit. Scrub with a toothbrush. Rinse in hot water. Worked great and mine were filthy.
    • Carolann lauzon

I just put mine in the dishwasher and they come out very clean and shinny.
    • Adriana Bastos Carosi

Exactly! Dishwasher alone cleans it perfectly! Don't waste your time trying anything else!
  • Deb21644172

Would this work on cabinets?
  • Que28049861

Will this solution clean the inside of the oven?
    • Sherry Oviatt

I have seen recipes for the oven they use baking soda sprinkled in oven then pour white vinegar over the soda and let sit for 15 minutes. Then reach in and wipe off. For tough spots repeat.
  • Zuv28110896

My hood is painted what do I do? Use just dawn or just dawn and vinegar? DZ
  • Doreen George-Burton

will this mixture leave scratch marks on my aluminum LG stove top?
    • 21418764

Not unless you use an abrasive scrubber
    • Alicat Henry

My understanding is you cannot use a combination of vinegar and baking soda on aluminium, so be careful.
    • Eun27483139

To clean your aluminum stove, use baking soda, make a paste around the burners, let it sit over night. The following morning use a damp cloth and remove the paste.. your stove will look brand new.🎆
    • Cheri

No the baking soda is the abrasive.
  • Rachel Solis

ainted can I use this solution on itp is oodMy h
  • Whitty Smitty

Does mixing baking soda and vinegar really produce anything more than salt water? I keep hearing that vinegar works fine and that adding baking soda doesn't do anything but neutralize it.
    • Cheri

Baking soda is the solvent. It gives a grid to add to the strength of the vinegar.
    • Cheri

Comparatively speaking it is the "rough spot" on the sponge.
    • Whitty Smitty

If you're in need of a grit, then use salt. Baking soda neutralizes the acid in the vinegar (which is the "solvent" if you are interested.) You are left with salty water. The acetic acid in vinegar is good for cleaning, and baking soda can also be used to "clean" or freshen things up but mixing them together does NOT produce a cleaning product. Find someone who knows chemistry and have them explain it to you in detail.
  • Ann27512430

How can we print the information without printing dozens of pages, maybe a pront button at the bottom of all the information would be great.
    Great info I so look forward to all these posts
    • Loi8719562

I copy and paste the information into WORD, proofread to take out stuff you don't want and then print it.

• Susan Hayes

Using your phone, copy and paste into notes. You can print it directly off your phone from there. This is using an I phone, I'm not sure how the android would work.
    • Holly

Use my IPAD, go to print & only print the page(s) I want.

• Dawn

Anna- I posted here for you- you can now just simply copy and print.
    • Dawn

How to clean stove vent a hood……..

STEP 1: GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS

Here’s what you’ll need:
      — Distilled white vinegar: 2/3 of a cup to 1 cup
      — Baking soda: 1/4 - 1/2 cup
      — Dawn liquid soap (classic, blue color): 3 tablespoons
      — Tap water: at least 1.5 gallons, depending on your pot
      — A large pot, the tallest you can get.
      — Sponge or soft scrubber
      — Brush or old toothbrush
      — Kitchen rag

STEP 4: VINEGAR IS NEXT!

Get a cup (no need to use a measuring cup) and fill it up with vinegar. Then add it to the warm water. Vinegar is one of my favorite cleaners, and works well removing grease, especially when combined with Dawn! TIP: Don’t wait till the water is about to boil - Lukewarm is just fine.

STEP 5: ADD THE DAWN SOAP NOW

Grab the tablespoon and measure 1 full tablespoon of Dawn soap. Add it to the warm water. Repeat 3 times, to make 3 tablespoons. Get the wooden spoon and stir well, so the vinegar and soap mix with the water. Keep the stove on high heat and get your baking soda ready.

STEP 6: BAKING SODA IS LAST!

STEP 7: IS IT BOILING YET? TURN THE STOVE OFF:

STEP 9: TURN FILTER AROUND

Once you’re done, bring it to the sink and give it a good rinse to get rid of the remaining grease and soapy water. TIP: Use the brush to ensure the filter gets a good rinse bringing the water into the grooves and getting rid of the remaining soap.

Repeat STEPS 8-10 with all your filters, scrubbing if necessary, and turning them around once the bottoms are clean. Again, once each filter is clean, give it a rinse and let it air dry.

STEP 11: CLEAN THE GREASE OFF THE HOOD.

Just dip the sponge/scrubber in enough to get it moist, without fully submerging your hand into the liquid. TIP: If it’s too hot, wait a bit until it cools down or add an ice cube. Either way, grab a sponge or scrubber and dip it in the Magic Cleaner. Squeeze to remove excess liquid. Gently rub the sponge on the hood, concentrating in the greasy spots. Rinse the sponge under the faucet as it gets dirty and keep moving until you’re done.

STEP 12: CLEAN THE TOP

Repeat STEP 11 on the canopy, front, and sides, or as needed. Use a lint free rag or microfiber cleaning cloth to dry it. TIP: Don’t worry about the cleaner leaving streaks on the stainless steel, you can apply a steel cleaner for a seamless finish.

• Jeanne

Why not allow us to "Pin" it?
    • Linda Sikut

You can "pin" it. Just use the red button at the top left of the screen. 11K people have printed it so far.

You can also copy and paste into a text file, clean up what you don't want, save & print. My printer used to be able to print a highlighted section. I don't know if it's Win 10 or the new printer that removed that option. You might be able to look for that option when you high CTRL, Shift, P.
  • Msr28342616

Wonder if making a paste of these ingredients would get baked on grease off pans, baking sheets, etc.? What do you think?
    • Ada22258102

yes it will...I also pake a wet paste and use it to clean glass pans as well as the grill outside and inside.

• R. Diaz

Thanks! Problem solved !</