No-Rub Magic DIY Cleaner & Degreaser for Your Kitchen Hood

$4

Seriously. Do you remember last time you cleaned your kitchen hood? I do: Never! So it’s time to tackle the “Hood Project” and give it some love. I was lucky to find a magic no-rub recipe that will dissolve the grease in no time -- perhaps the easiest and most satisfying thing I’ve ever used. Need to know how it works? Read on!

Who'd have thought cleaning the hood was easy

After perusing the internet looking for a recipe, I realized that my cleaning cabinet contained all ingredients needed to make this magic formula. Can you take a guess?

Time to give this hood the magic cleaner!

You know the magic of Dawn and Vinegar when it comes to get rid of grease, and the power of baking soda. Combine this with water and voila! And the best part is that it doesn’t need any elbow grease.

Four ingredients is all you need!
Four ingredients is all you need!

STEP 1: GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS

Here’s what you’ll need:

(recommended) (Amazon)

Ready? Let’s get started!

First thing is first: remove all filters

STEP 2: REMOVE FILTERS OFF THE HOOD BEFORE CLEANING

Before we start concocting, remove all filters off the hood. TIP: To protect your countertop, place a kitchen rag underneath your ingredients. A little hot water and cleaner may spill as you move filters and spoons around. Get your materials ready and put them next to the stove. Now it’s time to make the solution!

Let’s start by adding water to the pot
Let’s start by adding water to the pot

STEP 3: ADD WATER TO THE POT & BRING IT TO A BOIL

Grab the tallest pot you have in your kitchen: one that fits the filters all the way in is best! Start making the DIY Magic Cleaner by filling the pot with tap water. Don’t worry about using hot tap water, we’re going to heat it anyway! TIP: Don’t fill the pot all the way up! Leave at least 2” clearance off the top. The baking soda is going to fizz and we don’t want it to spill all over. Put the pot on the stove, turn the flame on and wait a few minutes.

Next comes the vinegar!
Next comes the vinegar!

STEP 4: VINEGAR IS NEXT!

Get a cup (no need to use a measuring cup) and fill it up with vinegar. Then add it to the warm water. Vinegar is one of my favorite cleaners, and works well removing grease, especially when combined with Dawn! TIP: Don’t wait till the water is about to boil - Lukewarm is just fine. We still need to throw the soap and baking soda in before it gets too hot.

Ready for the blue magic?
Ready for the blue magic?

STEP 5: LET’S ADD THE DAWN SOAP NOW

Grab the tablespoon and measure 1 full tablespoon of Dawn soap. Add it to the warm water. I prefer the blue (i.e. Classic) Dawn. It’s an excellent degreaser! TIP: You can use FAIRY if you’re in Europe. Repeat 3 times, to make 3 tablespoons. Get the wooden spoon and stir well, so the vinegar and soap mix with the water. Keep the stove on high heat and get your baking soda ready.

Let’s make the Magic Cleaner explosive!
Let’s make the Magic Cleaner explosive!

STEP 6: BAKING SODA IS LAST!

Fill 1/2 a cup with baking soda. I used about 1/3, but if your filters are really dirty go with 1/2 cup. Use the tablespoon to slowly add the soda to the hot water, one spoon at a time. If your water is too hot (or about to boil) be extra careful. TIP: You can add an ice cube to cool it down a bit. CAUTION: Baking soda will fizz as you add it to the hot water. Add one tablespoon at a time, stir, and wait a few seconds before you continue. If you see the cleaner “expanding” in your pot, turn the stove off -- or lower the flame to a minimum -- and continue adding the soda, a bit at a time, until you’re done.

Yes, we’re done. Time to turn the stove off.

STEP 7: IS IT BOILING YET? TURN THE STOVE OFF: WE’RE READY TO ROCK!

Keep stirring with the wooden spoon to make sure all ingredients -- especially the baking soda -- are well mixed. Keep the stove on until it begins boil, and then turn it off. Get your filters ready and let the fun begin!

Put the filters in & let the Dawn Love work!

STEP 8: PLACE FILTERS IN THE POT TO GET THE GREASE OFF

Get the first filter and put it in the water. Let it sit for a few minutes. I pulled it out in 30 seconds and -- amazing! -- most of the grease had already dissolved! But I waited a few more minutes before turning it over. I couldn’t believe how quickly -- and easily -- the grease melted. Really! If yours is older or thicker, it may take a little longer. I found the solution to be very effective without needing to scrub. But if there’s still grease adhered to the filter, use a scrubber or an old toothbrush to remove it. TIP: Keep the filter in the pot while you’re scrubbing.

Turn it around to clean the other side
Turn it around to clean the other side

STEP 9: TURN FILTER AROUND

Unless you’re able to fully fit the filter in the pot, you still have the top area to clean. So turn it around and insert the top into the cleaning solution. TIP: Again use the toothbrush to remove any grease that is still there.

Use a small brush to rinse the cleaner off

STEP 10: RINSE & BRUSH TO GET THE MAGIC LOVE OUT

Once you’re done, bring it to the sink and give it a good rinse to get rid of the remaining grease and soapy water. TIP: Use the brush to ensure the filter gets a good rinse, bringing the water into the grooves and getting rid of the remaining soap.

Keep going with filter 2 & 3 till you’re done

STEP 11: KEEP GOING! WE’RE ALMOST DONE

Repeat STEP 8-10 with all your filters, scrubbing if necessary, and turning them around once the bottoms are clean. Again, once each filter is clean, give it a rinse and let it air dry. Now, we’re done!

Let’s do the hood next: underside goes first

STEP 12: ALMOST DONE! BUT FIRST, LET’S CLEAN THE GREASE OFF THE HOOD.

That was easy, right? But I’d guess you also want to clean the hood. The good news is that you can use the same cleaner! CAUTION: Make sure the cleaner is not boiling hot, or you may end up with a scalded hand! Just dip the sponge/scrubber in enough to get it moist, without fully submerging your hand into the liquid. TIP: If it’s too hot, wait a bit until it cools down or add an ice cube. Either way, grab a sponge or scrubber and dip it in the Magic Cleaner. Squeeze to remove excess liquid. Gently rub the sponge on the hood, concentrating in the greasy spots. Rinse the sponge under the faucet as it gets dirty and keep moving until you’re done.

Let’s wrap this up, shall we?
Let’s wrap this up, shall we?

STEP 13: CLEAN THE TOP NEXT AND WE’RE DONE.

Repeat STEP 12 on the canopy, front, and sides, or as needed. Use a lint free rag or microfiber cleaning cloth to dry it. TIP: Don’t worry about the cleaner leaving streaks on the stainless steel, you can apply a steel cleaner for a seamless finish. CAUTION: Again, don’t use the solution if it’s still very hot, and make sure your hood is stainless steel, and not painted. Some appliances -- usually refrigerators -- have a stainless steel finish PAINT that looks like steel: The paint may get damaged with the solution. If you’re not sure, test it in a corner first! After you’ve finished cleaning the hood and once it’s dry, feel free to use a stainless steel cleaner to get rid of the streaks. There are a few out there, you can get them online or at your home center (Home Depot, etc.) Or you can try first with soapy water. Luckily, I didn’t need to use cleaner. I’m so happy with my NEW FILTERS! And the best part was how easy it was to get that grease off. If you enjoyed this post, and want to receive updates, follow me. And for more on kitchen cleaning, find how to get SPARKLING FAUCETS here - http://www.hometalk.com/22372615/quick-n-easy-non-toxic-diy-cleaner-to-make-your-faucet-sparkle-again - to make NON TOXIC WIPES check - http://www.hometalk.com/20996563/non-toxic-reusable-diy-cleaning-wipes - and to CLEAN YOUR BLINDS with tongs and chopstick go to http://www.hometalk.com/18742408/get-your-blinds-shining-with-a-dyi-tongs-chopsticks-tool- Next week I’ll be getting rid of pesky stains, often hard to remove. Stay tuned!

• Ellen Biastock

So how do I get greasy build up off painted range hood?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Ellen, You can try this mix as well. Apply with a soft sponge or mild scrubber, first in a small hidden area to ensure the cleaner won't discolor or damage the paint. :)

• Ell12171869

Put some vegetable oil on a paper towel, and wipe it across the range hood!! It is amazing!!

• Terri

Elephant, wouldn't that leave a sticky film once it was heated, that would not only attract dust but would also be a base where oil steam from frying will accumulate quicker?

• Terri

Forgive the spell check on your name Ellyphant.

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Also, Murphy soap may work. Removes grease well off wood - follow instructions for diluting proportions.

• AnnMarie Wiley

Suggestion on equivalent product to Dawn original blue, in Australia. Many thanks AnnMarie

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi AnnMarie - do you have Fairy? I know they have it in Europe. If not, any dishwashing liquid soap (especially those "tough on grease") would make.

• Dana

Yes we have Fairy. I also like to use Earth Brand soap. It in my opinion is very good.

• Mciuro

How do i get rid of fruit flies Michele C

• Annie

I have had success with just placing a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar on my kitchen counter. The fruit flies love it.

• Lin10585641

A small cup filled 1/2 way or so with cider vinegar and a tsp. or so of Dawn dish soap sitting out on the counter will attract the fruit flies. It takes awhile, but it works!

• Deanne

apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap added.

• HELENE

Place corks from wine bottles around fruit/tomatoes -fruit flies hate the sell of alcohol - good luck.

• Susan Dye

get rid of any and all rotting, or just starting to rot, fruit/vegetables you have sitting out.

• Ann

Put the fruit in the fridge. Tomatoes, though, lose flavor in the fridge, so put in paper bag and leave on counter. Or, leave them on a porch or garage.

• Ann

• Delbert Joseph Sampson

best 2x4 rack for tire storage?

• Kit6208770

Can I use this in the oven

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

I don't have any experience yet for the oven. I'd try perhaps the DAWN diluted in water with baking soda. You can apply when oven is still a little hot, after cooking. It may work better! :)

• Fir8927401

On Step 5 if you add 1 T Dawn and then repeat that 3x.... doesn't that give you 4T total? You state it gives you 3T. My math says 1T + 3T = 4T

• Pat Strode Corio

can i use this mixture to clean the grease off wood cabinets as well.i rented a house n the cabinets have alot of built up grease on them .i have tried alot of different cleaners n they are not working that well.ty for any advise.

• Karen J Moseley

Yes! I use this same mixture for cleaning every thing in my home.

• Cindy Fisher

I clean with this solution on EVERYTHING, even mirrors!!! Except, I didn't add the baking soda...just water, vinegar, and dawn soap! It will literally clean just about anything, you WANT to!!! Try it!!

• Pat Strode Corio

TYVM CINDY,I WILL TRY THIS.I HOPE IT WORKS

• Joanna

Tips for how to make something g similar work in the oven?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Joanna, don't have any experience yet for the oven. I'd try perhaps the DAWN diluted in water with baking soda. You can apply when oven is still a little hot, after cooking. It may work better!

• Stacey

What is an easy way to get oven racks cleaned ?

• Mlfruit1

soak them in oxy-clean

• Cynthia Tom ko

Soak the racks in hot water with ammonia and soap over night. The grim falls away.

• Joanne G

Put the racks in a large trash bag and spray with oven cleaner all the surfaces. Tie the bag tightly and leave overnight. In the a.m. Remove racks and rinse clean with water. No scrubbing. Sparkling clean.

• Alice

I always do this during the summer. Put racks in large trash bag out on the patio (not on the grass or vegetation, in case of leaks!), add a cup or so of ammonia to the bag, tie it tightly closed, and let stand overnight. I'm always amazed at how well the fumes eat through the gunk! Then I rinse them with a garden hose.

• Mary

Put them in self cleaning oven when I clean the oven. Gas stove cast oven racks only.

• Baby

What kind of container did you use to put the oven racks in? I have a granite sink, and can't put ammonia in it.

• Val

My microwave is over the stove. Can I used this recipe to clean the under part of microwave?

• Pamela Mullarkey

I should think so it is not abrasive visit so should not scrach

• Pamela Mullarkey

There are certain have you can buy to do this but the k they are big enough but if it was me I would try the above solution first again it will not hurt them

• Alma

Thank you, excellent formula but, does it have the be Dawn?

• Teresa Hall

Ajax liquid dish soap may work.as,well. I only use Ajax and it is cheaper and cuts grease as,well as Dawn. In my opinion. And it comes in different smells also,and tge regular gold looking one.

• Liz

No sunlight soap is just as good.

• Adele

Dawn contains ammonia. That is what makes it work so well. If you choose a less expensive product, check the ingredients.

• MiTmite9

Use a dish soap other than Dawn, from a company which doesn't test on animals. P & G still conducts animal testing.

• Alma

Thank you very much for all the opinions you are appreciated!

• Bre12776982

think you could try putting the hot water mixture in a cake tin 9x13 or baking sheet with rim keep the pan over heat, so it doesn't cool would this work?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Brenda, I'm going to try next time though the water temperature seems to play a role. Don't think you can keep the water as hot in a baking sheet, but it may work anyway if you leave it longer. Please let us know how it works if you try! :)

• Debbie Shaffer

Will other detergents beside Dawn work???

• Kelly Howard

Palmolive blue OXY works well too, but cheaper brands just won't cut the grease well enough.

• Helen

Of course

• Pat Donaldson

dawn contains toxic materials and is tested on animals

• Terry Meek

For a quick clean, just let your faucet run until it's hot, make sure the stopper is in of course, and fill up your sink. I have a double sink and I use one side for the soap and vinegar and the other to rinse. I like to use the side that has the disposal so when I let the water out, all the soap/vinegar runs thru my disposal and I get a mini clean of the inside of my disposal. If you want to stick a long handled brush down there, (a NEW toilet brush just for this that's shaped like an oval is the best) and gently go around the insides while the water is draining out, rinse out the sink and disposal once you're done.

• MiTmite9

Pat Donaldson, a woman after my own heart. Yes. Don't use Dawn. It is a Procter & Gamble product, and P & G refuses to stop using guinea pigs, rabbits, mice and dogs (!) to test products.

• UpState

'Dawn' is used to clean crude oil off birds caught in oil spills - regardless of ingredients - I do not think the EPA/SPCA/ etc... would use it if it kills the animals.
      Really ?
      C'mon guys - have some sense.

• Jackie Byrd

Why didn't you use a lipped cookie sheet? Lay a filter flat in the pan, pour the concoction over it, while its working scrub the rest of the range hood down.

• Sherry

Easier yet to clean the filters of your range hood is to put them in the dishwasher if you have one.

• Susan

That's what I do and it comes out perfect

• Susan

• Kenna

Me too. Dishwasher with vinegar and baking sad and usual DWSoap

• Barbara

I use dishwasher also, but my screens aren't that greasy

• Rhondagreig

All that grease build up on the filters going into your dishwasher is not good for it. If u want your dishwashers to last the last thing u want to put in them is grease . I just had to replace my dishwasher and it had been running good since 1997. NO GREASE IN THE DISHWASHERS!!!

• KIM DELUCA

I run my stove hood filters through the dishwasher every 2 weeks also. I am going to try this receipe for the rest of the hood though and my stove top.

• Maria

Thank you for the great and very detailed , great formula - I will certainly try this out - you are right - all the ingredientsare in my pantry - thank you

• Linda Barrett Dirksen

I do this monthly as well. Easy and very clean. Then I clean the hood with warm dishsoap and water and rinse.

• Ims9141426

Would this formula work on a wood exhaust fan cover? I clean it monthly with a wood based soap but it has now gotten a sticky build up on it and I have tried everything I can think of.

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi, it should work but use lukewarm water instead of very hot and apply with a soft sponge. Rubbing hard may damage the wood, as it softens once it absorbs moisture. Try in a small hidden area first. :)

• Pat10620205

What can you do if you have a painted hood?

• Mary Hart

Try a mixture of equal parts of water and rubbing alcohol. Use an old cloth /rag that doesn't have any fabric softener residue on it. I find that paper towels or rags that have softener in it will leave streaks. I use this on my fridge, stove tops, microwave and other surfaces that are painted that show greasy fingerprints and streaks.

• Pam G Blaxton-Dowd

A paste of baking soda, dish soap, and a dab of water works great on a painted hood. After applying, spray with white vinegar. Wait 30 minutes and wipe clean.

• Mom7406785

we rented a house with heavy grease build up on cabinerts can this cleaner be used on wood?

• Shannon W

I think it would be great but it most likely will take off some of the finish from the cabinets. Usually in that situation the grease has been accumulating for so long it has already become one with the finish and if you clean it too vigorously the grease and the "glaze" from the wood will both come off...

• Mary

I clean my faucet with water n vinegar add a few drops of lemon juice n you get sparkly clean faucet

• Pallet Man

Try washing the cabinets with warm to hot water and TSP (TriSodiumPhosphate). It is available at any place that sells paint supplies because it is used to degrease cabinets and such before painting. It is safe to use. SimpleGreen also works and is safe.

• Pam Cavanaugh

Thank you.

• Anj13199761

Could this mixture be used on shower heads? Or what would you recommend to use to remove lime buildup?

• KKAbsherwrites

White vinegar only. Place in a plastic bag and put shower head in bag - tie or rubber band bag to pipe shower head flows from and leave overnight. Scale should be gone in the morning.

• Carol

Lemon does a lot fot greasy things just rinse well after using

• Out12053847

CLR is magic when it comes to shower heads. I pour some into a bowl and either unscrew the showerhead and let it soak for a few minutes or if it's to hard to remove you can hold the bowl up to, it with your hand. Just be sure you have it deep enough to reach the clogged holes.

• Ann

I use vinegar for shower heads but sometimes when the buildup is too much, I use CLR. I use CLR on stubborn water rings on kitchen and bathroom faucets too. I just put a little on a rag or paper towel and rub them right off.

• Karen Wells

MY outside grill has ru looking spots. how do I get rid of them and protect it from rusting

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Karen, I don't any experience with an outdoor grill. To get rid of the rust, you can try a brillo pad by itself or dipped in baking soda or bar keepers friend. Not sure what to do about preventing rusting. Water causes rust, so perhaps trying to keep them dry? :)

• Jennifer

If you have polished nickel will the lemon and vinegar turn it brown and flat? I used to clean my sinks with vinegar but it turned all the stoppers a dull gray. Let me know!

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Jennifer, I'm not sure. Lemon works on removing hard water stains on stainless steel but I'd be careful with nickel. Maybe there's an online resource? If you decide to try, use either lemon or vinager (not the two together) in a inconspicuous small area and wait 24-48 hrs to see results. Hope this helps. :)

• Angy

Can apple cider vinegar be used instead of the clear kind?

• Hope Groesbeck

yes

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Angy, in this case I'd think so. Otherwise, white vinegar is preferable to apple cider vinegar, since the apple cider may leave a bit of residue (especially if it's unfiltered) :)

• Julia Angleworm

Apple Cider vinegar is not best for cleaning, better for medicinals.Apple Cider carries all the sugar molecules, of applecider.

• Nancy

Could this mixture be used to clean the grills on the gas stove top?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Nancy, I haven't tried but it'll probably work. You can try just the DAWN diluted in water first, and then baking soda if you need it to be more abrasive. I also noticed the grills are easier to clean when they're hot. Hope this helps! :)

• Gil1617025

A really easy way to clean your gas top grill is place them in a large ziplock bag. Pour some ammonia into the bag and let set overnight. Set the bag in the garage or outside. The next day the crud will fall right off. You will have to do very little cleaning on them. We had a real mess in our church parsonage with the stove. I brought them home and did just that. They shine like new. We were all amazed.

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Thanks for sharing! :)

• Mam12189054

How much water do you start with?

• Reb7441931

Great idea...can I use this for super greasy wood cabinets?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Rebecca, I'd first try Murphy soap since it's especially formulated to clean wood. Follow instructions from the manufacturer. If Murphy doesn't remove all grease, you can try this solution (with or without the baking soda) in a small area first before a full application. Keep the water just lukewarm or room temp - especially if the wood is stained - to apply to wood. Hope it helps! :)

• Jill Gale

This sounds like a great method, thanks for posting it. Now I have found a way to keep my filter clean so I never even have to use your method again! Simply place it in the dishwasher once a week or so...BAM! Looks brand new.

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Jill, thanks for sharing :)

• I don't have a hood, it's a down draft vent. I just put the filters in the dishwasher as needed. I'll pass your recipe on to my daughters in law; I've spent hours cleaning theirs when I visit 😆

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Thanks Janice! Hopefully you won't need to clean their filters anymore with this recipe :)

• Mar9687029

I too put my filters in the dishwasher. So very simple.

• Fog3111340

I also put my filter in my dishwasher and it comes out great, but this is a good recipes to clean the rest of the hood. Thank you.

• Pam Cavanaugh

Could this be used on oak cabinets to clean grease?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Pam, I'd first try Murphy soap since it's especially formulated to clean wood. Follow instructions from the manufacturer. If Murphy doesn't remove all grease, you can try this solution (with or without the baking soda) in a small area first before a full application. Keep the water just lukewarm or room temp - especially if the oak is stained - to apply to wood. Hope it helps! :)

• Melissa V

Note to Pam: Before you buy Murphy's Oil Soap, see if you can open it up and take a whiff 👃. In my opinion the stuff stinks!!! It makes me ill when I smell it-so I would definitely check that first if possible. I like Liquid Gold for wood cabinets-now I have white painted cabinets that I need to clean, but if this concoction is too harsh for that chore, then I'm not using it for anything.

• Adrienne Klein

Can it be put into a spray bottle and use for cleaning cabinets, and counter tops when it is cold?

• Hi Addriene, you can try. I haven't, but would be careful with stone or concrete countertops. Vinegar - and other acidic ingredients - damage these materials. You can also try alcohol, distilled water and a bit of Dawn in a spray bottle to clean cabinets and countertops. Wipe well after to remove soap.

• Dave Stansfield

can this cleaner be stored for any length of time?

• Hi Dave, you may be able to store it if not used before though I'd recommend to make it and use it right away -- especially since you need to heat the water before adding the other ingredients.

• Rhondalynn

This also works wonders on bathtub/shower soap scum.

• Jewellmartin

This is a great tutorial, with many helpful tips. You can store this in a squirt bottle, except for the baking soda. I sprinkle the soda on the pot or stove top I am trying to clean, then squirt on the vinegar, Dove and water mixture. You need that chemical reaction between the vinegar and baking soda to make cleaning easy. Label the bottle and include directions since you can make several kinds of cleaners, and you want to keep them straight. Best wishes 😇

• Ell13977744

Comment. Love this tip. However do you use this same pot to cook pasta or soup??? Of course I would put it in dishwasher to clean. Have a great holiday.

• Jpc15346815

Why not? We add vinegar and baking soda to food items and wash our dishes with Dawn detergent with no ill effects. Even washing it by hand would be enough to clean it.

• Kathi Ploof

There would be no reason NOT to use the pot.

• Jjb8493754

Speaking of the dishwasher, I put my hood filters in the dishwasher. It took a couple of cycles to remove all of the grease, but it beats doing it by hand.

• Sharon Seiber

Could this be used on the outside bottoms of my pans, that are looking awful?

• Andi Risley

I use Barkeepers Friend on those and it's amazing! Follow directions. 😊

• Gail

I use oven cleaner. It works perfectly.

• Kathy

This could be mostly done in the dishwasher? The hood I use a spray that is non-toxic, all natural and the microwave, the same product. The screens and glass come out sparkling and no fuss. Nails still in tack😌

• Linda M. Taylor

I always put filters in dishwasher. I also clean all stainless steel appliances with WD40. Keeps them clean longer and no finger marks on fridge.

• Charlotte

i put mine in the dishwasher and it worked great

• Andi Risley

I usually spray in sink with Simple Green, if they're really dirty. Then rinse and put in dishwasher. 😊

• Donna Szabo

Can this solution be used on kitchen cabinets that have the accumulated gunk around the door knob and inside the stove?

• HL Webber

I would think I would use the clean water first to clean the other parts since after putting the filters in it the water it would be yucky. Maybe I missed that somewhere but if not that is what I would do. Nice tip.

• Smi5370300

Why not put the filters in the dishwasher? I have been this for years, and they come out very clean.

• Pam G Blaxton-Dowd

Much faster. I add vinegar to the DW. They come out shiney-like new. I make a paste of baking soda, dish soap (Palmolive has one with a powerful degreaser) and after wiping onto the hood, I spray with vinegar and let my scrubbing bubbles work. works for knobs and all greasy surfaces.

• Grace

I do the same with mine. Too much work doing it their way. I usually make a mix of vinegar and baking soda and put it a the button of the DW and not only clean the dishes better but it smell better

• Sandra Tofflemire

I put mine in the dishwasher once a month and it looks like brand new.

• Sandra Tofflemire

• SJ

Not everyone has/uses a dishwasher.

• Smi5370300

I don't know anyone that doesn't have one!

• Linda Pimley

Now you do!!

• Fuzzy Bottom

Add another, no dishwasher in this house.

• I also put mine in the dishwasher, if you don't have a dishwasher or a large enough pot then use the bathtub. Run the hottest water just enough to cover your filters, mix your solution - I'd mix a double batch for since using a large tub area and let them soak :-) Reserve some of the cleaner to was the tub out with. I don't know about you all put if I put them in a pot I'd make more of a mess lol

• B. Enne

Good suggestions if you don't have a DW. I run mine through the DW too once a month. My cheapy hood is 20 yrs old, and still looks quite new.

• Victoria

Does this work on stove tops as well?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Victoria, though I haven't tried (yet!) it should work. Dawn and Vinegar are good grease cleaners. If you give it a try keep us posted! :)

• Linda

I used it on mine. It works wonderfully! I have a black top (not glass and the retailer talked me into it, big mistake...) on our gas stove and it's a pain to keep clean but this does the trick. If you have stubborn spots make a baking soda and vinegar paste and apply it to the spots, let it sit for a while and gently scrub and the spots will be gone!

• Would it work on the cast iron grates on my gas stove? They're big so I put them in the bath tub and soak in hot water + Stanley degreaser and then scrub them. This sure sounds like it works with much less elbow grease!

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Hi Chirstine, not sure but I'd give it try! It may work well. Keep us posted.

• Linda

You can put your cast iron grates in a trash bag with ammonia and leave them over night. They wash like a dream. Also my range hood instructions said I could put them in the dishwasher. They wash well.

• Brenda

Caution. My son's wife did just that, two were done. Next night last two . My son was taking out the garbage early and threw them away!

• Sue

Would this harm a China tea cup and saucer?

• Mim

cleaner for wooden kitchen cabinets, esp. where doors are opned

• Shawna Bailey

I use dishwasher powder (or crumbled tablets ) and a little water to make a paste on my wooden cabinets. it cuts right through that grime

• Mim

thanks Ill give it a try

• Linda Wilkison

It sounds like you can't use it on white hoods. Any suggestions for those?

• Lynn Retlewski

Tryed but grease residu did not come off even let it sit for a while help?

• I used liquid gel dishwasher soap for mine. Covered in gel, let sit. Scrub with a toothbrush. Rinse in hot water. Worked great and mine were filthy.

• Carolann lauzon

I just put mine in the dishwasher and they come out very clean and shinny.

• Adriana Bastos Carosi

Exactly! Dishwasher alone cleans it perfectly! Don't waste your time trying anything else!

• Deb21644172

Would this work on cabinets?

• Que28049861

Will this solution clean the inside of the oven?

• Sherry Oviatt

I have seen recipes for the oven they use baking soda sprinkled in oven then pour white vinegar over the soda and let sit for 15 minutes. Then reach in and wipe off. For tough spots repeat.

• Zuv28110896

My hood is painted what do I do? Use just dawn or just dawn and vinegar? DZ

• Doreen George-Burton

will this mixture leave scratch marks on my aluminum LG stove top?

• 21418764

Not unless you use an abrasive scrubber

• Alicat Henry

My understanding is you cannot use a combination of vinegar and baking soda on aluminium, so be careful.

• Eun27483139

To clean your aluminum stove, use baking soda, make a paste around the burners, let it sit over night. The following morning use a damp cloth and remove the paste.. your stove will look brand new.🎆

• Mcm12312153

No the baking soda is the abrasive.

• Rachel Solis

ainted can I use this solution on itp is oodMy h

• Whitty Smitty

Does mixing baking soda and vinegar really produce anything more than salt water? I keep hearing that vinegar works fine and that adding baking soda doesn't do anything but neutralize it.

• Mcm12312153

Baking soda is the solvent. It gives a grid to add to the strength of the vinegar.

• Mcm12312153

Comparatively speaking it is the "rough spot" on the sponge.

• Whitty Smitty

If you're in need of a grit, then use salt. Baking soda neutralizes the acid in the vinegar (which is the "solvent" if you are interested.) You are left with salty water. The acetic acid in vinegar is good for cleaning, and baking soda can also be used to "clean" or freshen things up but mixing them together does NOT produce a cleaning product. Find someone who knows chemistry and have them explain it to you in detail.

• Ann27512430

How can we print the information without printing dozens of pages, maybe a pront button at the bottom of all the information would be great.
    Great info I so look forward to all these posts

• Loi8719562

I copy and paste the information into WORD, proofread to take out stuff you don't want and then print it.

• Susan Hayes

Using your phone, copy and paste into notes. You can print it directly off your phone from there. This is using an I phone, I'm not sure how the android would work.

• Holly

Use my IPAD, go to print & only print the page(s) I want.

• Dawn

Anna- I posted here for you- you can now just simply copy and print.

• Dawn

How to clean stove vent a hood……..

STEP 1: GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS

Here’s what you’ll need:
      — Distilled white vinegar: 2/3 of a cup to 1 cup
      — Baking soda: 1/4 - 1/2 cup
      — Dawn liquid soap (classic, blue color): 3 tablespoons
      — Tap water: at least 1.5 gallons, depending on your pot
      — A large pot, the tallest you can get.
      — Sponge or soft scrubber
      — Brush or old toothbrush
      — Kitchen rag

STEP 4: VINEGAR IS NEXT!

Get a cup (no need to use a measuring cup) and fill it up with vinegar. Then add it to the warm water. Vinegar is one of my favorite cleaners, and works well removing grease, especially when combined with Dawn! TIP: Don’t wait till the water is about to boil - Lukewarm is just fine.

STEP 5: ADD THE DAWN SOAP NOW

Grab the tablespoon and measure 1 full tablespoon of Dawn soap. Add it to the warm water. Repeat 3 times, to make 3 tablespoons. Get the wooden spoon and stir well, so the vinegar and soap mix with the water. Keep the stove on high heat and get your baking soda ready.

STEP 6: BAKING SODA IS LAST!

STEP 7: IS IT BOILING YET? TURN THE STOVE OFF:

STEP 9: TURN FILTER AROUND

Once you’re done, bring it to the sink and give it a good rinse to get rid of the remaining grease and soapy water. TIP: Use the brush to ensure the filter gets a good rinse bringing the water into the grooves and getting rid of the remaining soap.

Repeat STEPS 8-10 with all your filters, scrubbing if necessary, and turning them around once the bottoms are clean. Again, once each filter is clean, give it a rinse and let it air dry.

STEP 11: CLEAN THE GREASE OFF THE HOOD.

Just dip the sponge/scrubber in enough to get it moist, without fully submerging your hand into the liquid. TIP: If it’s too hot, wait a bit until it cools down or add an ice cube. Either way, grab a sponge or scrubber and dip it in the Magic Cleaner. Squeeze to remove excess liquid. Gently rub the sponge on the hood, concentrating in the greasy spots. Rinse the sponge under the faucet as it gets dirty and keep moving until you’re done.

STEP 12: CLEAN THE TOP

Repeat STEP 11 on the canopy, front, and sides, or as needed. Use a lint free rag or microfiber cleaning cloth to dry it. TIP: Don’t worry about the cleaner leaving streaks on the stainless steel, you can apply a steel cleaner for a seamless finish.

• Jeanne

Why not allow us to "Pin" it?

• Linda Sikut

You can "pin" it. Just use the red button at the top left of the screen. 11K people have printed it so far.

You can also copy and paste into a text file, clean up what you don't want, save & print. My printer used to be able to print a highlighted section. I don't know if it's Win 10 or the new printer that removed that option. You might be able to look for that option when you high CTRL, Shift, P.

• Msr28342616

Wonder if making a paste of these ingredients would get baked on grease off pans, baking sheets, etc.? What do you think?

• Ada22258102

yes it will...I also pake a wet paste and use it to clean glass pans as well as the grill outside and inside.

• R. Diaz

Thanks! Problem solved !

• Valerie Waddelove

When I have burned something on a pan, like rice, that forms a black crust on the bottom, I rinse out the pan and get off as much of the burned stuff as I can. Then I put just a tiny amount of water in the pan, then cover it liberally with baking soda (which just gets dampened), and let it sit overnight. The next morning, I rinse off the baking soda and much of the burned residue comes off with a brush, the rest with an aluminum pan scrubber -- without too much effort. It has saved many a pan for me!

• Xte27293019

Will this work on my enamel range hood?

• Jo ann

I just put my filters in the dishwasher

• Granny Laura

I've not used this and don't know, but I DO know that a mixture of about a quart of hot water (not too hot for your hands), a little blue Dawn and a 1/4 cup of liquid Calgon will easily take grease off your enamel hood. It's good for anything greasy - microwave, stove, cabinet doors and stove hoods. Good luck

• Susan Jeanne

Yes! Juat don't scrub too hard as baking soda is a mild abrasive and could dull the finish.

• Piu12119659

How do you make the oven racks shine again

• Bpa12827243

The previous owner used the self-cleaning oven without removing the racks, so our racks were grey and very dull. We removed them from the oven and took them to the garage to ensure proper ventilation. We laid them on newspaper on the floor and sprayed them with Easy-Off, following the instructions on the can, and rinsed/washed them (wearing rubber kitchen gloves) after the requisite time. They look almost new. Just be sure to take the racks out of the oven if you have a self-cleaning oven and do this in a well ventilated place away from pets and children. Easy-off is really toxic stuff!

• Susan Jeanne

I used my self cleaning cycle with the racks in. I don't think they'll ever shine again 😢 If you figure something out please share!

• Pig24968712

Did you really get household ingredients from Amazon?

• Susan Jeanne

Amazon sells pretty much everything.

• Margaret Green

I think Hometalk has started listing Amazon as the sole provider of all tools/equipment. It is pretty much the same now on every project I look at regardless of how ridiculous it would be to use them for some of the supplies used.

• Lisa's Trail

Hmm.. Can I wipe off the inside of my oven walls with this? I tried the baking soda paste and it made a MESS!!!! couldn't get it all off...

• Dee

Put a coffee cup with ammonia inside of oven overnight! You will be able to wipe clean in the morning!

• N

can you use this degreazer on wooden stained cupboard doors and/or a glass stove top and oven.?

• Sally-Charles Evans

For my wood I stick with Murphey's Oil Soap! It is the BEST!

• Susan Jeanne

I do! Baking soda and dawn will work wonders. Just don't scrub too hard because baking soda is a mild abrasive. You don't want to dull the finish on the cabinets.

• Judy Ramsey

Hi I need a natural dry shampoo for my dog. He won't let anyone give him a bath. Do you have any idea for some kind of freshener for him? Thanks Judy

• Wandamurline

Pet Smart may have cleaning wipes....I buy them for my cat, so I would guess that they would make them for dogs. They are not dry, but they are not so wet that it would make a mess. Just use a few to clean him off.

• War16250737

Don't know what his coat is like but using plain corn starch (DON'T ADD WATER--KEEP IT DRY) is probably safe...we used it on horses for years...be sure to BRUSH IT ALL OUT so it can: 1. get the grease out of the coat and 2. not be ingested by the dog in large amounts. Just try taking a little cornstarch in the palm of your hand on one section and rub it in against the coat and then brushing it out first. As with anything use some plain old fashioned common sense when you are doing that. In the bad old days when someone used to be bed-ridden that is what we used as a dry shampoo for humans as well. Corn starch can be purchased in any grocery store for well under $2.00 for a 16 oz. box even these days. If you put it in on damp white hair and brush it out when it dries it can leave nice white hair instead of that yellow stained hair. Use only a little as a time and go slowly. Remember use it sensibly so it doesn't go up their noses or into their eyes.

• Judy Ramsey

Thanks I was thinking baking soda to help with the smells but worried about his skin?

• War16250737

Or you can just trick him and use a damp washcloth on him...let him think he is being petted and he will probably eat up the whole exercise! Damp washcloth then dry washcloth...

• Sho9617215

my hood is white, not stainless steel, can i use this mixture to clean it ?

• Susan Jeanne

Yep. Just don't scrub too hard as baking soda is a mild abrasive. Although since it's dissolved I doubt it would be a huge issue.

• Boris Dirnbach

Not to be a killjoy but couldn't you just insert the filters in the dishwasher and clean them when you do the next load? They look like they'll fit. My filters easily fit inside the dishwasher.

• Mjg

That's what I do. Just put the filter in the dishwasher. No muss no fuss.

• Joanne Walchak

I have been placing my stove anf microwave filters in the dishwasher for years. Works great

• CJ

Not all of us have dishwashers!! :-/

• R Allen C

I use Awesome from dollar general, that is imho, the best for grease & nicotine

• Earl Horton

Will this magic cleaner work on a Plexi- glass back splash?

• Susan Jeanne

It will, but baking soda is a mild abrasive, so don't scrub.

• Linda

I would not use it on plexi-glass as the vinegar is acidic!

• Betty Comeaux

Can I use this Magic Cleaner on my Walk-In Tub?

• Keena

I have a countertop convection oven can I used this on the filters. Also how about my deep fryer basket and filter?

• Donna Ethridge

I need a GOOD cleaner for my wood kitchen cabinets. Not only are they greasy but have food stuck on some of them. I have bought several cleaners and even checked with Heloise and she didn't help me at all. Can you help me? Thanks in advance. Donna

• Jec28421186

• Cyn Bek

Reneuit. Works, wonders I may have spelled it wrong, but Home Depot has it, and they also carry one for floors, we've used it on the pulpit and pews at church. Now they gleam.

• Sootie

Greased Lightning spray.

• NonnaDukes

Hello, I would like to know...would this be good to clean an oven/ stove burner grates with? We bought a house to renovate, and it came with the basic appliances. The issue with the gas stove, no one EVER cleaned it. I was able to get the stove top and burners cleaned. Had to use harsh cleaners, and ALOT of elbow grease and steel wool. Ran those through my dishwasher, and now are very nice. However, I sprayed oven cleaner inside oven and on the burner grates, which cleaned a little, but the fumes make me sick and take my breathe away......Would this work with cleaning the oven/ grates? Or should I just stay with the harsh chemicals?......... I really don't want to spend my life working on this, and buying replacement appliances are not an option. Would this help clean the refrigerator too?
    Thank you,

• Sue Sanders

There is an oven cleaner ...Easy Off "fume free" that would be good to use. I still would want to use a mask to cover my nose and mouth.

• Sue Sanders

I would want to dump the pot of greasy water along my fence row and not down my sink. Also have a dish pan of water in sink to rinse my cleaning cloth so I can pour outside. Plumbing bills are not for me. Been there and was hard for plumber to get pipes clear, from the build up, over times of pouring greasy residue down sink.

• Bonny Parrish

I was going to ask the same question as Donna. I haven't cleaned my kitchen cabinets in ages. I don't mind a little elbow grease if it takes off the real grease and dirt. Please tell us this works on cabinets too. Bonny

• Jennifer Piburn Ton

Will this hurt granite? The backsplash for my stove needs the grease removed.

• DB

I wouldd not use vinegar on granite-it removes the seal--and tie would have to reseal it

• Cheri Casper

Vinegar (anything acidic) will damage your granite. Just use Dawn and water, rinse well, and dry. Or buy granite cleaner.

• Ard7370318

I wouldn't use this solution on any kind of stone including granite. The vinegar is acidic and will etch all types of stone leaving the finish dull forever and the baking soda can scratch if not completely dissolved. Your better off just using hot water and dawn to clean your granite then rinse and dry with a soft terry cloth towel for a streak free shine. You might find a better cleaning solution for your granite with a website search but it's hard to be hot water and dawn for cutting grease quickly. Hope this helps you Jennifer.

• Beverly

Can this get rid of greasy cabinets also?

• Ard7370318

You might want to consider using a cleaning product that is formulated for cleaning wood like Murphy's oil Soap. That stuff is amazing for cleaning wooden cabinets and fast. A bottle of it will literally last you years so it's worth getting a bottle. It's not oily like you'd think it is by the name. It's a soap made for cleaning wood. Just follow the directions on the bottle and you'll love how your clean cabinets look.

• How do you get grease and oil off cupboards and ceiling.

• Ard7370318

I don't know about ceilings but the best and easiest thing I've found for cleaning wooden cupboards is Murphy's Oil Soap. Just follow the directions on the bottle and you'll be amazed at how quickly they come clean and look brand new again. I wouldn't recommend using it on your ceiling though. You might need to look that one up on the internet.

• JEAN ALVAREZ

I USED A SOAPY STEEL WOOL PADS I FOUND AT 99CENT STORE THE DOORS CAME OUT BEAUTIFUL MINE ARE NOT VERY EXPENSIVE LAMINATED I THEN WIPED THE SCUM RIGHT OFF CAME OUT AWESOME HO HARSH SCRUBBING NEEDED LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW DOORS,

• Tara

Good question. My wooden cabinets are grimy. Can I use same solution with a clean cloth?

• Lonnett Blakley

Tara, I totally agree with Ardale above. Murphy's Oil Soap (not the spray bottle; get the type you add to water) works wonders on any wood that has a greasy residue (or not). If you want to go further in "sprucing" up your cabinets, use a liquid lemon oil polish that you apply with a cloth on them. They'll look great.

• Sandy Bowen

Doesn't the dish washer do just as well with no mess?

• Nancy

Yes! Since it's not much trouble, you can do it more often.

• Yofrendonna

Yes it does. I do all removable parts in the dishwasher monthly. My range hood is about 10 years old and still looks new inside and out. I also have a hand held laundry steamer for curtains that I use on any parts that I can’t remove. And I make my own spray cleaner from soap, a touch of bleach and water.

• Mike Nervik

I always use the dishwasher and the filters come out just fine.

• Richard Gent

You Betcha. Any metal filter I have and fits in the dish washer goes in the dish washer and it gets cleaned very, very good. Just make sure ,when you put it in, that the arrow on the filter goes up so the water will flow through.

• Ard7370318

I agree I always just throw my filters in my dishwasher. I have a steam feature on my dishwasher and my filters come out clean.  I am ashamed to admit it but I don't wash my filters nearly often enough especially since it's so easy to wash them in the dishwasher. I need to do them more often from now on.

• Kor24924493

can I buy the water from Amazon too?

• Cte15328226

Yes! And Amazon Prime members get free shipping!

• Margaret Green

I was really upset that I couldn't get the used toothbrush from Amazon.

• Kor24924493

I have many used toothbrushes, they are very handy for odd jobs around the house, Would you like me to send you some?

• Donna

Is this safe for chrome?

• Samarchand1

Why not just put screen in your dishwasher with a load of dishes? Mine comes out clean as a whistle every time.

• Polly

Mine do too. Have always washed them with the dishes,

• Sage

it doesn't work as well. I've been using the dawn vinegar baking soda trick for years and it works. One thing I do is use a large rectangle food service hot water tray on both burners so I can submerge my whole filter. Works for anything with sticky old grease - don't forget to wipe away any residue in the vent of the hood (just read the manual first or you won't get mechanism back in if you have an older vent)

• Marilee Reyes

I go with the dishwasher method, just don't wait until the grease is petrified. Do it once a week and it's less messy. However, the mixture sounds like an excellent way to clean the hood.

• Marty Davis

Directions for mine state that the filter should NOT be placed in the dishwasher.

• Margaret Green

If the filter is stainless steel, it should be safe in the dishwasher. If it is aluminum, then the dishwasher detergent is bad for it. All my aluminum cookware is now hand washed.

• Lonnett Blakley

The automatic dishwasher method sounds like it works well for some. However, in our home I AM the "dishwasher" and I haven't had a lot of luck with cleaning my vent filter. I'm going to give this a try. I think it will be a good option for me. Thanks, Elena K.!

• Bernadette Beck

Will this work on my enameled hood/microwave?

• She22544767

You have a solution to remove ball point pen ink from clothing?

• L

cheap hair spray... cleaned ball point ink from white jeans. But I understand anything like that with alcohol in it will work. Don't dry in between.. it may need two applications. Get it as fresh as possible.

• Beverly Clement

hair spray - the cheapest, the better

• Linda Brannigan

rub the ink stain with bar soap dampen first.

• Sharon Carson Dunham

I take a q-tip and dip it in rubbing alcohol. Put a white rag behind the stain and rub with q-tip. Change tips til stain is gone. Keep moving the white rag and then wash well. Comes out easily,

• Judie Chaney

Hairspray usually removes ink stains.

• Linda Sikut

Hair spray has always been a staple for removing ball point pen ink. But I read an article that said manufacturer's are using less alcohol these days so it doesn't always work. Apparently it's the alcohol that does the job so put some alcohol in a spray bottle and keep it in the laundry room for solving this problem.

• Perry N Donna Thompson

how do you clean water stains from a tub - ring around the tub - green/grey?

• Valerie Williamson

I would try a magic eraser , You can find them in the grocery store in cleaning supplies. Worked wonders for mine

• Sandy

Spraying the solution on the element does not bother it, I usually cover it with foil or some kind of wrap. The solution does not interfere with the integrity of the glass seal ?I wouldn't lean on the door too much because it will interfere with the heat seeping out of the oven. Otherwise marvelous simply marvelous.

• Penny Taylor

Will any other type of dish soap work? I cant use dawn, it makes my hands break out and I cant stand wearing gloves.

• Lgp11877134

I put my screens in the dishwasher, works great

• AreEmBe

Yes. Use whatever detergent you have that doesn't aggravate you skin condition. This website is paid to promote Dawn.

• Dixie

it's the lye in the Dawn.

• Louise Travers

Would it be safe to use this solution n cabinets?

• Maccie Coleman

Does this work on non stainless steel?

• Marthy Cardoso

is this can work on leather sofas.

• Betty

Can I use this on my oak cabinets that always seem to feel greasy?

• Rhonda Teris

I keep a spray bottle of distilled white vinegar with a couple tablespoons of Dawn on hand for my kitchen cabinets.

• Coa22134591

Is there a way I can print this?

• Jean

Can I use this mixture on my painted hood or will it damage the painted surface?

• Annette Beaudin

I don,t see why not. I used this on mine .Mine is not vented outside, so I can take the whole thing down and place it on a table, where I can get at it much easier.

• Kathy Doyle Laurenzi

If you read all the way though you would see that she said NOT to use on painted surface as it may damage it. Test in a corner:)

• Coa22134591

Is there a way I can print this?

• Mar29388744

Can I print these instructions out?

• Deb Mahre

Are you asking about permission? Or the steps to print the instructions?

• Deb Mahre

On my computer, under file, there is an option to print. However, you might get all the adds and extras too. BUT you can email the instructions to yourself and have more control of what you decide to print. The email option is also under 'file', and 'share' on a my mac.

• Lhe29273361

Will this magic clean stainless steel appliances.?

• Denise

do you work for Amazon all the ingredients you can get from a supermarket without cost of postage

• Cle28917299

Amazon Prime ships items for free. A great service for frequent Amazon users like me. Postage to Oz and customs problems can affect you Australians, though.

• Benjamin

wonder if you could lay all the filters in the tub next time and pour the cleaner over them and let them soak a while. rinse and stand to dry. replace above the stove.

• Gee

that should work just fine

• Ann

You will probably have to use gallons of hot water because of the size of the tub, or the water will cool off to quickly. I'll try it with the kitchen sink. It's closer to the stove and big enough. I don't have a pot big enough. I once bought an aluminum stock pot but it doesn 't hold heat. It took hours to get the water boiled. Gave it away. Guess I'll have to start cleaning my filters.

• Millies_mom47

I have a deep fryer that has a removable bowl and it's badly greasy as I have tried to clean it by putting it in the dishwasher. That never helped, it actually made it sticky and worse stuck on. Do you think this Magic Cleaner would get the deep fryer bowl clean like new almost? I mean it's made of I think aluminum or such. What do you think?

• Margaret Christian

An SOS pad would probably do a great job of removing the grease and sticky from your deep fryer bowl.

• Millies_mom47

Already tried that and all it did was scratch the surface and left the grease behind. So it just made things worse.

• C. D. Scallan

Try it , it can't hurt .

• Amanda

Sprinkle baking soda over area then get a spray bottle and fill with vinegar and 1tsp of dawn spray the baking soda and watch it fizz. Let sit a minute then wipe. Depending on how thick you may need to repeat.

• Millies_mom47

Thanks Amanda I'll give it a try.

• Grace Merrells

It doesn't have to be Dawn brand. Just dishwashing liquid. We don't get Dawn and I use Palmolive but you can use any. You will soon learn which ones are better at cutting grease. I use this solution in a spray bottle for all my surface cleaning. I have also never heated the water, I use everything at room temperature, how it comes. Just make sure you don't use a flimsy plastic spray bottle, they buckle. You need a strong one. Sometimes the water vinagar and detergent needs a boost, that's the time to add bicarbonate soda to the surface.

• Elise

I, sorry for my english. But you can use the spray for outside bbq. It's verry good for the grease.

• Teri Sanchez

Fill your sink with warm water, drop in a dryer sheet then add your deep fryer bowl. Let it sit until all the grease floats away Like magic! The softener in dryer sheets softens any stuck on grease and food.

• Kathy

My hood filters are MIA. Can I safely use this cleaning solution inside the hood? Is there anything special I should do to cover electric stovetop?

• Ellis

You really should find or replace the filters if they're missing. Without them, grease goes up into the duct above your hood, and will collect there. Eventually, there will be enough grease to fuel combustion. This is a common cause of kitchen fires.

• Grace Merrells

Yes you can use it inside the hood, spray the solution onto a cloth then apply from the cloth. I would definitely get those filters in place ASAP though!

• Linda Koch

Can I clean other filters with this solution. They are air cleaner filters?

• Grace Merrells

You can. I have cleaned our air conditioner filters with it for years.

• App29012816

put it in the dishwasher?

• Michael Soule

never put Dawn in a dishwasher. The vinegar and baking soda are just great for the job. Matter of fact I put a heaping tablespoon of baking soda in my dishwasher every time I wash dishes. Not only does it supercharge the cleaning power of your dishwasher it also keeps the dishwasher sparkling clean and very fresh smelling.

• Sheri

I think she is talking about the filters. That is what I do.

• Jpsiskos

I also put my filter screens in the Dish Washer; but my problem is how to clean behind the filters and the fan blades. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the blades. Ideas Anyone??

• Teri Sanchez

Just rub them down with wet dryer sheets. Let them sit a bit then wipe all that gunk away with a wet towel. Be careful not to get shocked.

• Debbie

can I use this on the housing of a gas grill??

• Cathy Casey

Can you use this on the stovetop around the burners that get all gunky? Has anyone tried it?

• Jennifer

I have just used the vinegar, but this might work just as well.

• Fer28949343

i tried this it works very well hey 👋
      i have a stainless steal hood n I used baby oil after cleaning it looks great 👍🏻

• Newmonsdixie

I'm allergic to Dawn so what other liquid can I use

• Tobie Rider

I am too so I use gloves.

• Floral

Do you know what it is in Dawn that you're allergic to? If it's the dye (most common allergen), try an orange Dawn. Or you can try a different brand of dish soap, i.e. Cascade.

• Teri Sanchez

use dryer sheets instead. You never have to scrub or use dawn

• Ckg14824001

I put my filters in dish washer and the rest I use ammonia mixed with water

• Is it alright to use this solution to clean the dials , (directional panel)? Mine is very greasy. I have used Dawn, but always scared to use other cleaners.I'd like to keep the letters & numbers...

• Katmandu Gross

I've found that any bleach spray like Clorox Cleanup cuts right through the sticky grease build up on my stove. Doesn't harm the panel at all

• P Dietel

Why not just put the filters in the dishwasher???? It's so much easier!

• Mar22068700

That is what I do. They come out clean.

• Wilma EISEN

I spray the filters with scrubbing bubbles and let them sit in the sink - then I rinse with hot water

• Rba16166109

I also put mine in the dishwasher, does a great job..

• Tur10010062

Can this be used on the oven grates? I have a wolf propane 6 burner

• Marie-Reine Gallant

I used it and it worked well, now what do I used for my stainless still appliances to get rid of fingerprints and other Mark's on them?

• Belinda Psencik

Baby oil or orange glow works well. Rub all over and wipe with dry lint free towel

• Lily

Straight up with dish detergent, no water wipe it and scrub the spot that need the scrubbing. Then use clean dry cloth to wipe off the soap. Your stainless steel will be good as new!

• KAB22292357

I have tried lots of stainless steel cleaners, but my absolute hands-down favorite is Weiman . I use the wipes, and use two to do all 4 four of my appliances. It also smells marvelous! Repels fingerprints.

• Marie-Reine Gallant

Thanks for your input, where do I get the Weiman from?

• Rio24860758

Do scratches from a stainless steel refrigerator come off?

• Ann Moody

Can you mix this up, put in a spray bottle, and just keep it for cleaning?

• Patti

yes, I use this as my # 1 cleaning solution and I don't bother to boil the water. Also, if you put the filter in your dishwasher, you get the same results. Saves time and energy.

• Lvo20568631

Can this solution be used in microwaves?

• Tracey

I do

• Jean Illingworth

Why is everything from Amazon? Doesn't anyone shop locally anymore!??!

• Ime33774537

Can you clean the filter fan blades with the same solution?

• Cherease

Can this be used to clean a shower? I have a standup shower and it is so hard to find a good cleaner to where I'm not having to get on my hands and knees and scrub for hours.

• Debbie Wilson Orton

Dawn and vinegar in a spray bottle for the shower is AWESOME!

12 oz of vinegar heated then add 2 oz of Blue Dawn (just needs to be heated to get mixed together)

Put into a spray bottle and use as needed in your shower. I have been using that for several years now and recommend it to everyone who asks for a shower cleaner.

• Linda Nicholson

Yes works wonders in shower, I use a Mr clean scrubbing pad after I spray it sparkles clean.

• Joe Jones

My problem with dawn and vinegar was getting the mix to spray. Never thought of heating it but I poured it since it wouldn’t spray and it was amazing. I have well water in Florida so it turns the showers and toilets Brown like rust. The other thing I found is whitening mouthwash and toothpaste either or or even both my walls have never been so white!

• Ncw31643632

Why not put them in the dishwasher?

• Joan Gondeck

I always put my filters in the dishwasher, so much easier.

• Jac

That's what I do as well. Filters and knobs in the dishwasher. But I use her formula to clean the grease from the inside of the hood, outside and all around the stove. Works great.

• Uncertain Gardener

I have the exact same hood and my filters go in the dishwasher about once a month or so. We have a cabin with a different, smaller filter and I put that through the dishwasher as well.

• Marla Shelton

That’s what I do. Every few weeks just put them in dishwasher. Works great.

• Joe Jones

I buy new ones. But this is a site for new ideas and uses for things so if this kind of thing isn’t done and posted by someone then the site doesn’t live on

• Alice Garcia Maxwell

Will this solution work on an greasy or dirty oven?

• Joe Jones

Yes!!! I also use purple power degreaser they sell in the cleaning section at grocery store. It makes grease run off the oven. If you have an electric stove most people don’t know but the elements just unplug and two screws hold them in. You can pull them out and 6 screws around the outter edge inside the oven hold the metal “oven box” inside the oven facade it’s reslly light and you can take it out and outside and pressure wash or steam clean it. It’s just a cube so your racks can slide in and out that way youcan really blast it. I pull ours to the sink after spraying degreaser on it and allowing it to penetrate 2-3min.

One other thing for everyone tired of spray bottles raid or one of the big spray brands make an ant killer that comes in a battery powered spray bottle and it’s $3.69 when you use the ant spray all up the auto sprayer lasts forever and is great to stop having to squeeze spray bottles. It’s the same size as normal spray bottles and it’s black so label it and put anything you want to spray in it after cleaning it of course.

• Valleycat1

Last time we moved out of a rental I used this, or just the dish soap and water, to clean essentially everything but the floors. Some things take a little more elbow grease than others, but yes it will clean pretty much anything. Wipe the appliance wall th the sponge dipped in solution, give it a few minutes soak, then get serious scrubbing if needed.

• Mary Ferber Rutenbeck

Can I use a solution like this to clean the microwave?

• Ila

Will this work on the baked on grease on the bottom of an electric skillet?

• Valleycat1

Yes. If you still need to scrub after letting this soak on it you might want the add a liberal dash of salt.

• Mar31568911

Will this also clean a dirty oven?

• Susie

Love your cleaner formula. I'm sure I'll use it for lots of cleaning projects, but not for my hood filters! Did you know that you can put these in your dish washer? So easy, so simple that I do mine every few weeks! Give it a try.

• Rohnnie

Can this solution be used on painted surfaces, like on ledges above the cabinets in the kitchen where grease build gets? Thank you.

• Anita

can this be stored or does it have to be used the same day

• Dya32743453

How to really clean streak free mirrors

• Beachkoz

I use Ammonia and water. 1/2 cup to gallon of water.

• Marie

I have an oven vent over my stove. Can I add the mixture to a spray bottle to get rid of the grease build up?

• Steph knepper

Would this clean glass tile?

• Sandra

I have an enameled vent a hood. Will it work on that. Also is it safe to poor liquid down sink drain when finished?.

• Rosel Kynast

Yes it would be. I use baking powder and vinegar all the time and it goes down the drain and using dawn is good.

• Dko33956426

Unless you don't have one, why not put the filters in the dishwasher?  Saves time & energy. Dorothy

• Loretta Kropp

Is this safe to use on a white range hood?

• Leona

could you use this solution on a greasy stove top?

• Lpr27026745

Can you use another cleaning liquid aside from Dawn?

• Patti

Yes. Most any liquid dish or laundry detergent will work.

• Jea27276689

would this work on my stove burner grills?

• Patti

Put the grills in a plastic garbage bag with a couple ammonia soaked paper towels layered in between. Seal the bag. Leave overnight (outside is best).

The next day open the bag (away from your face). Remove the grills & rinse. You may need to do some light scrubbing with a rag if they were really gummed up.

Discard the garbage bag with the ammonia soaked paper towels.

This method is good for oven racks, outdoor grills, etc. 🤗

• Bre21106663

What about calcium on faucet

• Sam29905111

can you use this to clean a air filter cover that is attacted to the wall

• Jum23258429

Would this work as a oven cleaner and on the oven racks?

• Rosemary Mattson

I was inspired and pulled down the thing holding the filter and it went "sprong" and the filter won't come out and now the thing won't go back up. Short of hiring a handyman, what do I do now?

• Typ29892754

I need an idea to get car grease off of my driveway. Do you think this recipe would work? Any suggestions?

• SpinninJenny

Can this cleaning solution be used for the top of an old stove?

• Evelyn peeps

She said it could damage it so to test it in a corner. It was way down in the post b

• Myrna Villalta

Will this clean my stove burners too?

• User

Why do you keep saying Amazon it's very confusing what does that have to do with the cleaning stuff that u posted

• Debbie

just telling you where you can purchase the products needed

• Denise King Hunt

Or you can purchase it all at your local grocers. :)

• MikkiGirl

Many bloggers have an agreement with businesses and are monitarily compensated if their readers purchase products through the link in their blog. In this case, if you click on the Amazon link, and purchase the supplies using that link, Elena K most likely will be paid an agreed amount from Amazon.

• DORLIS

my stove is in an island and has a down draft exhaust. cleaning the filter is easy, take out and soaK, put back. it is the housing for the filter that is a problem. it is narrow and deep, hard to get my hands in to clean it. what do you think about potting a sponge in the bottom to catch drips and then using a long handled brush, cleaning the sides.

• Barbara

That sounds like it would work. Check with the manufacturer first, to make sure that it would be safe to do so. They may have a cleaning tool just for that purpose.

• Susan Vogelgesang

Would this be a good solution to clean kitchen drains?

• Christina

I believe you can use 1 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup baking soda. Put the baking soda in the drain first then add the vinegar. It's going to seriously foam. After 15 minutes, pour a kettle/large saucepan of boiling water down the drain. You will have a clean drain.

• Jennie Sesulka

I was going to give you the Same advice as Christina! That magic formula I found on this site as well !! It DOES work like MAGIC!!!

• Kar32948593

Drains need only baking soda and vinegar.

• Diane Holmes

Will this solution work on stainless gas grill racks?

• Nancy Peterman

Grill racks and oven racks are much easier to clean this way:

Fill you bathtub about 1/3 full with hot water with about 1 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup Dawn and 6 dryer sheets. Let soak over night. It almost wipes clean.

• Debbie Snorkus

Will this work on stove burners

• Elizabeth Hillman

Yes, I will use this........thank you.....any tips for old plastic slot blinds? Came with the house...over 40years old...soak,them in the tub with cleaning solution but strings (pulls) do not come out looking cleaner.......

• Patti

Can I use this on my greasy kitchen cabinets?

• Jan22223561

Can I use to clean really dirty oven?

• Dgblount

Would this be safe for cleaning the inside of a very neglected microwave?

• Vicki Johnson

Put a cup with water in microwave for 3 min. Then just wipe it clean. I have used this twice if really stuck in there. Do once, wipe, then do again.

• Pat Barbera

Can you use this same recipe for degreaseing wood kitchen cabinets??????????

• Is this solution just good for filters?

• Cheryl Spader Deacon

I’m with Pat, can it be used to degrease wood cabinets??

• Kat23306220

Is this safe for stainless steel appliances?

• Janet Wiltsie

Can you use this in your bathroom?

• Carlene Kindberg

I have a beautiful gas stove with matte finish burner covers/grates. They are difficult to clean. Is this safe for them?

• She10617522

I have them too and found the Best way to clean them is to put them in large zip baggies and put just amonia in the bag with it. Let it sit overnight. Be prepared for a very strong order when you open the bag but Clean burner grates!!

• Mary Jo Schultz Gaff

Can you use this on kitchen cabinets that are really greasy

• Suzy Buelvas Casey

Can this solution be used all over the kitchen? On cabinets and counters ... etc???

• Joy16735872

Will organic apple cider vinegar work

• Alma

can this be used to clean the bottom of your oven??

• D June Barton

Can this solution be used on ovens & oven racks?

• 34013001

Will this work on walls to? Charlotte Deneice Windham

• Ruth Soule

Vinegar,Water & Newspapers clean your windows better than Windex!! Why didn’t you just wash the filters in your kitchen sink with the mixture ?

• I have done it in the sink with a similar solution. I put a towel in bottom of sink so as not to scratch the sink , though. I also used tongs to hold or pick up filters to prevent getting burned.

• Lucy Cano-Castillo

Can you use this for your cabinets ?

• Sue Noles

Can you clean blinds with this solution.

• Paulette

when moving i found that food and grease had stuck to the sides of my appliances. Have you a cleaner that will remove that quick and easy?

• Lin Collins

I believe the cleaner described above is what you're looking looking for. It is a concoction which our grandmothers have used for generations to clean everything. Nowdays we are led to believe the products we use must be labeled for a specific purpose ie: "bathroom cleaner", "kitchen countertops" etc. and that it won't work on anything else. Untrue.

Of course, any restaurant supply carries this concentrated stuff called simply "degreaser". For less than $5.00 a gallon you can soak a white wedding dress stained with red wine and also have the engine in your car sparkling in no time.

• What can I use to clean greasy wood counter tops.

• Barbara Thomas

Whats the best way to clean the grills on my gas stove?

• Put them in when you self clean your oven any other metal like cookie sheets ect I do 👌🏻💜

• Lin Collins

Yes Doreen! For those scared to use the selfclean feature on their ovens, take them outside and spray with oven cleaner,wait awhile and hose them off. You might need to use a wire brush to help with the bad spots.

• Gwen Drager

Would this work to clean the oven? I would think so. I have a very bad back and need something easy.

• Deanna Andrews Ralston

Would this work on the stove top

• Valerie jones

My hood is just like this and the filters can be put in the dishwasher. Would this be better?

• Sophia French

idk if youncan put in the dishwasher. some dishwasher detergents contain bleach, and react with the metal filter, causing them to gray.

• Joella Bass

Would this solution be safe to use on kitchen cabinets....grease and fingerprints?

• Nancy Bay

Will this recipe work on stove tops? Glass stove tops? What about ovens?

• C.a4737762

Works great for glass top and oven door.

• Lilith A. Bunni

I'm sure it would work well in your oven too but you gotta make sure you wipe the surfaces several times with fresh water to get off the solution :)

• Digna Irizarry

Will this work on your pots and pans? You know how they have the grease that turns dark on the outside.

• Lilith A. Bunni

ooooh it might! i wonder about my baking sheets. we just gotta make sure they're solid metal or anodized. like she said in her post that it could remove paint (or emal)

• Gabrielle Falk

My range hood is difficult to clean after you remove the filters. Can't really get up inside easily even with a long-necked brush. Is this mixture safe to spray up into the actual fan motor area, where I can't reach. Thank you.

• Lisa

I have white (well they used to be white) Kitchen cabinets. Do you think this will work on them ?

• 16999903

Hi Lisa! I Love her remedy for her oven hood. She really has the answer. I personally do not thing this would work on wood cabinets. Wood, even painted will swell with extended exposure to steam or water. It would have to be wood designed to take that kind of treatment.

Are your cabinets white or ligjt colored? or a natural wood stain? You can use the vinegar cleaner without the heat and it should work well as a degreaser. If they are light or white cabinets, if they have not been painted in quite some time, some paint qualities will yellow in time.

Good luck!

• Patricia May

I was also going to ask you the same question.

I need a good cleaner to work wonders on my kitchen cabinets.

• Hsc27719701

I have painted cabinets and use Scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner on the. (Can use the cheaper brand also) Works great and hasn't damaged by cabinets in 3 years.

• Sandra Tinsley

The stove filters have a charcoal layer in them. Won't your method destroy the charcoal so they won't work?

• 16999903

Hi Sandra. Not all have the charcoal layer, but I would say you're correct in thinking this may not be the clean method for you. Do you get replacement filters for grease build up?

• Ale24786168

Will this work in toaster oven walls?

I used greased lightening on the hood frame. Also the old fashioned filters that look like woven ribbons of aluminum held in a frame can be put in a dishwasher.

• Patrick

Do you know that baking soda is good as a powder for cleaning because it is mildly abrasive, but dissolved looses this cleaning power? Did you know that vinegar is good at cleaning grease because it's mildly acidic, but when you add a base like baking soda they cancel each other out to make salt water? The only reason this cleaner still works is because you didn't add enough baking soda to cancel all of the vinegar. It would work better still without the baking soda. Can you make a correction?

• Penny

swasher soap is harsh and bleaches fabric,do you use it?

• Barbara dye

Due to an installation man incorrectly putting in a new microwave oven (he left out the filter), we have grease on the popcorn ceiling above. How do we clean off that mess? Can we spray on this solution & dab at it? Thanks.

• LBuser

No, you can't spray liquid onto a popcorn ceiling, it will dissolve the popcorn finish. Unless, of course, you don't want it anymore, in which case just spray away, let it set for a bit and peel it off. You will probably have to paint that ceiling.

• Alma

Will this solution work on a black stove?

• Vicki

Yes, it works great.

• Barb Dean

It says to make sure the hood is stainless steel, not painted as the paint may be damaged; I took that to mean it shouldn't be used on painted surfaces. Is that not correct? Thank you.

• 2ki31820307

will any dish soap work? I prefer using companies that don't test on animals

• Sue

Dawn is used to clean animals after oil spills. it is safe

• Lois

Good for you. I do too, and i think any dish soap would work. Try it and see.

• Jo

Sue, 2ki31820307 said they prefer to use products from companies that don't test on animals. Having an advertisement showing them cleaning animals does NOT negate the company's past and/or present testing practices. I have boycotted P&G for many years, and still do, because of the same issue.

Hi 2ki31820307,

I have used Kirk's or Dr Bronner's castille soaps and others as well. It still takes effort to find better alternatives, but it has gotten somewhat easier over the years.

I'm so grateful that you brought up this issue. The love affair this site has for Dawn upsets me every time I see it. Best wishes!!

• Pat M

Will this solution containing vinegar damage corian countertops?

• Rahul Ray

I don't believe so. Corian is a synthetic polymer . Vinegar/acetic acid should not do anything to it. Best thing to do will be to try on a small hidden area, such as under the counter first.

• I have a Corian countertop and have used my homemade vinegar based cleaner on it for years with no issue. One of the selling points for me to go with Corian is the non-porous nature of it. Granite is porous even when it is sealed so I chose to go the non-porous route. Cheers!

• Gina

Will this work on greasy kitchen cabinets and hardware, or will it hurt the wood?

• Joe Watson

Why do you use baking soda. Is it to give it more grit? Does not seem necessary to add to the Vinigar and soap.??

• Rahul Ray

Yes. Will it work ob soap-scum in shower?

• Deb

You only need blue dawn and white vinegar. I got this from Mary Hunts EverydayCheapskate. TO MAKE: Pour one cup blue Dawn into a 32-ounce spray bottle (1/2 cup Dawn if you are using a 16-ounce bottle). Fill the bottle the rest of the way with white vinegar. Apply sprayer top; shake gently to mix. Spray shower with this solution, let sit for a few minutes and simply rinse. If bad case of scum, you can wipe down and leave as long as overnight. Even 30 mins will do. It works great.

• Alice

Is there a reason for using Dawn instead of other brands? Curious because I see Dawn mentioned specifically.

• Ivy Spicciatie

Dawn really breaks down the grease I tried other soap,,not the same, and you need small amount

• Christina

I know I use Dawn exclusively when I want something to cut anything greasy or oily. It is the best.

• Mar33207995

In the Dawn commercial they use it to wash the baby ducks that have bee in an oil spill, so it really works to cut the grease.

• Me

It a proven degreaser! And it is darn good.

• Mib

it works the best

• Maureen May

Like Fairy here in the UK, it's the best.

• Alison

Could you us this solution to clean oven racks? Obviously they won’t fit in a pot!!!!

• Nancy Peterman

Close! Fill your bathtub with enough hot water to cover the oven racks. Squeeze in some Dawn (maybe 1/4 cup), sprinkle about 1/2 cup baking soda in and cover the racks with 3-4 dryer sheets. Soak for several hours or over night. I know it is weird but the grime with almost completely just wipe off after the soaking. Dryer sheets will also clean your stove top and get the mineral deposits off of your shower doors.

• Squ30791469

Wet dryer sheets? I have also heard dryer sheets are good for cleaning window blinds.

• KD Redlowske

I believe the reason for using Dawn could be what the Wildlife folks use to get oil off of animals affected by oil spills.

I went through all 172 questions since this was posted in 2016, and not one asked why the middle of your filter isn't as clean as the top and bottom are? There is still a grease residue even if you just used a toothbrush and your formula.

I have tried several of these concoctions that have been posted on Hometalk and I can't seem to get things as clean as stated. Could it be that my OCD as a perfectionist be getting in the way? I have issue with my white socks the bottom of feet won't come perfectly clean is there a tried and true method to get them clean looking like they just came out of the package?

Thank you all for letting me kind of vent as well.

• Sue Sanders

First: Don't t walk around in your socks. I always wear slip on house shoes to walk around in my house. Keeps from picking up the soil that others bring in daily from being outside.

• Suesblues

Put the solution into a flat pan, maybe a 9 x 13 baking pan. Steel one is best.

• Lacy

dish washer on HOT or sanitize works great. No mess No fuss

• Thank you for this brilliance. Question: How did your hands hold up to this job? Would you recommend gloves?

• Dianne Evert

LaNora, have you tried it in the dishwasher with the recipe cleaner instead of dishwasher soap? Did it foam up and leak out?

• Donna

I'm afraid the heavy grease would clog up my dishwasher so prefer to not use that method

• Alice Portillo

I put mine in the dishwasher. Is that bad?

• Kathy

That's where I have been cleaning mine for years. Works great. No muss, no fuss!!

• Julie S.

Maybe I just didn't see it; but how did you dispose of the dirty water in the pot?

• Edith seise

Will this solution of baking soda, vinegar and Dawn damage or discolor my stainless steel sink? Edith seise

• Kimmyk

I don't think so, I clean my sink and other grimy things with these ingredients daily. Actually helps keep my drains clean too.

Basic cheap old Rubbing alcohol is great for cleaning too!

• Edith seise

Edith Seise----------will any of these items harm the quartz countertop?

• Cheryl A

I would put a towel under the pot to keep it from getting onto the quartz

• Maretta

put the filters in the dishwasher works great

• Sharon

Yep, works every time w/no mess! Run the hot water tap for a couple of minutes before U start....

• Nancy Ostema

If they are aluminum do not put them in the dishwasher they will turn dull and black from the cemicals. Do not do it.

• Bobby

Mine came out of dishwasher shiny bright. Barb

• Bonnie

Will this formula work on shower heads?

• Robyn Garner

Yes! Or, just mix some vinegar and baking soda in a baggie and tie it over the shower head overnight.

• Boy31991988

Can this be used to clean grease stains in my oven?

• Debbie

I had a meat loaf (hamburger) spill over (grease) onto my bottom of my oven. I sprayed white vinegar on it and wiped the grease right up

• Gradmama

good detailed instruction, thanks. Dawn is a wonderful product, they even use it to clean oil spills off baby ducks' wings. I have one question though, what ever became of the old grease cutter ammonia? The fumes were bad, but the results good. Or am I just showing my age? :-) Thanks for the tips!

• Sharon

I'm with you. I can find plain ammonia but not the sudsy kind.

• Rick m

What happened on "how to clean a pot"

• Nora A Webb

Is there a less steps (10toomany) to clean the greasy oven hood

• Cindy Rubin
    Yesterday

Can this formula be used on cabinets, wood trim etc using just the sponge (obviously they cannot be submerged)? We all know everything in a kitchen gets kind of a greasy film , on it, right?