DIY Ribbon Rack From Salvaged Wood

What do you do when you find a piece of embellished wood beside the road? You pick it up of course, bring it home, and make something fun and useful with it!
One morning over the summer I noticed a piece of wood lying beside one of the roads I frequent. It caught my eye, but in my haste, I kept going. The next day, it was still there. And the next. For nearly a week I kept my eye on it until I could stand it no longer. Finally, I stopped, tossed it into the back of the van, and brought it home with me.
For several weeks it stood in the corner of the garage, waiting until I could decide what to do with it.
I loved the detail, and wanted to showcase it, but also wanted to do something about its dated look. When I needed a length of ribbon one day (and lamented my current storage situation) I knew exactly what I'd do with it.
I started by cutting it into 3 pieces, following the natural breaks in the pattern.
Next, I painted them with some leftover paint I had from another project. I loved the lighter look already.
And to make the design pop, I gave it a dry brushing with a gorgeous brown craft paint. It gave it just enough color to make it really stand out.
To finish, I painted a couple of dowel rods with the same paint I used for the boards, attached cafe rod holders, and threaded my ribbon spools through them. After adding a couple of hangers to the back of each board, I hung them on the wall and dropped the dowel rods into the hangers.
Of course I'll need a pair of scissors handy to cut my ribbon, so I attached a hook to the bottom of the smaller piece and it makes a nice place to keep scissors on the ready.

• Salvaged board  (beside the road)
  • Glidden paint - Sahara Desert Sand  (Wal-Mart)
  • Martha Stewart Vintage Decor Paint - Tilled Soil  (Michael's)

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
To Work With My Hands

• JoAnn Dibeler

I hate to sound stupid but how do you "dry brush" when you are dipping it in paint? I've seen this technique mentioned many times but not an explanation of how to do it. Thanks.

• To Work With My Hands

Hi JoAnn! Thanks for asking and please don't worry about how it sounds. I didn't know what it was the first time I heard about it either! Rosiei is right. You don't really need much paint at all on your brush - just the tip is fine. Then you'll want to blot nearly all of it off. For this project, I used a stencil brush because they are pretty stiff and sturdy. I think that makes it easier. Thanks so much for asking! I'm sure there are other people who wonder too. :)