DIY - Reuse Glass Insulators for Succulent Planting

$5

While on a road trip last Summer we stopped at an antique store just off the highway in Missouri. It was probably the 10th one we stopped at that day so I was looking at stuff but not seeing anything, if you know what I mean. Way in the back on a shelf almost out of reach was a glass insulator that you used to see on the power lines along the highway. I have seen many uses for these on Pinterest so I was interested and brought it to the front check out. The owner of the shop wanted $2 for it. I knew that was fair enough as I had seen these anywhere from $2 to $25 at flea markets depending on the shape and color.Thinking I really should have more if I were going to do a project I asked if he had any more for sale. “How many do you want?” he replied. I told him I would like to see them before I made a decision. He took me outside the store which was really part of a barn and on shelf outside he pulled out a box of insulators. A few different sizes and shapes but really dirty. I asked how much and he said $20 for the whole box. What the heck, I bought the whole bunch not really knowing what to do with them or what I was buying. We took them home and there they sat until this week.
A couple of weeks ago we did a post on a few things you could still do with your garden this Fall. One of the things we talked about was going to Garden Centers and seeing what was on sale. Just this week one of our largest local garden centers announced they were going out of business after 100 years and were liquidating everything. I can’t resist a deal so off we went to check this out. Only 4 days after they announced that they going out of business almost everything was gone. There were a few little succulents which we bought for $2 a pieceWe washed the insulators in a bucket of hot soapy water. After we dried them off we put little non-skid rubber button thingies on the bottom so they would be stable enough to hold a plant.Then we planted our succulents in the insulators. For more go to: http://livedan330.com/2013/10/18/diy-reuse-glass-insulators-for-succulent-planters/ and don't forget to follow us on Hometalk!
Here is a box of insulators I bought at an Antique Store. Really dirty.
This is so easy a three year old can do it! Washing the insulators.
Rubbery non-slip thingies to put on the bottom of the insulators.
Ready to plant!
The finished product. Aren't they fun?

Dan330

• Candy Walsh

Can you use succulents that you buy at Home Depot or Lowes or do you have to plant them in the ground for a while first? I have several insulators that I've been holding onto and i LOVE succulents~what a great way to combine the two!

• Mary McDonald

I don’t have drainage holes in a lot of my little succulent containers. Just don’t overwater and don’t worry if the soil gets a little dry. They are a cactus aren’t they? In Canada where I live there is no point planting succulents in the ground. I plant and proliferate them indoors. They are tough little things.

• CASS

Will they grow without drainage holes?

• Mary McDonald

Yes. A little loose dirt and they’ll be fine. Live in cold Canada and I must have 25 little succulents, some just in water and others in a little soil. They are thriving. Everyone gets soo hung up on drainage holes for succulents.

• Brgob2001

There are no drain holes. Isn't that needed for succulents?

• Rosemarie Ward
      35 minutes ago

Usually, they don't like sitting in water. So, don't over water. They only need water every 2 weeks.

Good luck!

• Becky

I have a big box of these just waiting for something to use them for. What a great idea! Can't wait! Will let you know! (will use all but my PURPLE ONE!)

Becky

• Jacquienina

I'm in process of doing something like this, but I'm trying to hang the insulators. But I think now that I'll use some of my recently acquired bumpers. I got them on Amazon for a glass table to use between the frame and the glass top.