Dan330
Dan330
  • Saint Paul, MN

DIY - Reuse Glass Insulators for Succulent Planting

$5

While on a road trip last Summer we stopped at an antique store just off the highway in Missouri. It was probably the 10th one we stopped at that day so I was looking at stuff but not seeing anything, if you know what I mean. Way in the back on a shelf almost out of reach was a glass insulator that you used to see on the power lines along the highway. I have seen many uses for these on Pinterest so I was
Here is a box of insulators I bought at an Antique Store. Really dirty.
This is so easy a three year old can do it! Washing the insulators.
Rubbery non-slip thingies to put on the bottom of the insulators.
Ready to plant!
Ready to plant!
The finished product. Aren't they fun?
The finished product. Aren't they fun?
Dan330

• Candy Walsh

Can you use succulents that you buy at Home Depot or Lowes or do you have to plant them in the ground for a while first? I have several insulators that I've been holding onto and i LOVE succulents~what a great way to combine the two!

• CASS

Will they grow without drainage holes?

• Linda

Need to plant something that requires little water. Then put sand, pebbles, or something in the bottom to let excess water drain through.

• Brgob2001

There are no drain holes. Isn't that needed for succulents?

• Becky

I have a big box of these just waiting for something to use them for. What a great idea! Can't wait! Will let you know! (will use all but my PURPLE ONE!)

Becky

• Jacquienina

I'm in process of doing something like this, but I'm trying to hang the insulators. But I think now that I'll use some of my recently acquired bumpers. I got them on Amazon for a glass table to use between the frame and the glass top.