Decorative Barn Wood Hanger

$12

While out exploring with my husband on a trip to Colorado, we found the remnants of an old barn. I was excited to see that there was a bunch of barn wood to pick up that we could create some treasures from.
As I sorted through the wood, I picked a few pieces to build these decorative hangers.
To create your own, follow these steps:
Pick out your perfect board.
Wash your board with a hose and scrub it with warm soapy water. Rinse the board and let it dry well.
Measure your board. Ours was 30" long and 5 1/2" wide.
Decide which side of the board you want to be the front. Mark the front of the board with a pencil where you want each knob to be. We evenly spaced ours every 6 inches across and centered it too to bottom- at about 2 3/4".
I picked up some cute mismatched knobs at Hobby Lobby when they were on sale for 50% off. I chose 4 of them in coordinating colors for this project.
Measure the length of the knob bolt to the thickness of the board. The extra length of the bolt needs to be cut off shorter than the thickness of the board.
Mark with a sharpie where you want your bolt to be cut.
Next you will need a hacksaw with a metal cutting blade. Cut the bolt.
Find a drill bit the same size as the end of the bolt. We used 5/32.
Drill from the front of the board. If you drill from the back and the drill goes in at any angle, the knob will not be level and won't end up where you want it to be.
Measure the washer to see what size of drill bit you need. Our washer was 1/2" so we used a 1/2" drill bit.
Measure the depth of the nut and washer combined. Ours was about 1/4 of an inch.
Take masking tape and put it on the drill bit to mark the depth you will drill your hole.
Flip the board over so that the back is facing up.
Drill into the existing holes, the depth marked by the masking tape on your drill bit. This creates a cozy little hole for the washer and nut to fit into.
Screw the knob into the drilled hole. Turn the board over and and put the washers on the bolts. Then screw the nuts on the bolts.
Attach a hanger to to back of your board and you're ready to hang your finished product!

• Barn Wood  (Old barn)
  • Knobs  (Hobby Lobby)

Happenings of a Housewife

• Patti

How can you be sure that there are no termites in wood? I worry about this with curbside items and tag sale finds as well

• C Crow

Had a house fumigated a couple of weeks ago and was told that scrap wood for projects such as this can be heated in your home oven to kill any critters. The temperature inside the wood must reach at least 120 degrees F and maintain that for at least 30 minutes. If you put it in your oven and keep an eye on it one should have no trouble.

• Linda Nicholls Peck

Although barn wood is preferable, do you know of another soft wood that would work? Thanks

• Carol

You could also use a pallet. Those boards vary in size and textures and are usually free.

• Leslie Garagan

How have you hung it on the wall?

• Happenings of a Housewife

I attached a sawtooth picture hanger to each end of the piece of wood with the accompanying screws that came with them and hung it on the wall. Pretty easy!