Make a Tiled Garden Container Planter for Frugal Upscale Decor

$62

I had never tiled anything before but I saw a gorgeous tiled garden container that was $200 at an upscale nursery and knew I had to try to replicate the effect at home. In this post I transformed a $12 wooden garden container into a similar look for just another $50.
The gorgeous wood with the brown and golden tiles looked amazing with the fall perennials I added to the container. I was shocked how easy
make a tiled garden container planter for frugal upscale decor, container gardening, diy, flowers, gardening, how to, perennial, This simple wooden container was transformed into upscale garden and porch decor with 20 worth of tiles Stunning transformation It s planted with a Japanese barberry and bright orange violas for a fiery fall color scheme
This simple wooden container was transformed into upscale garden and porch decor with $20 worth of tiles. Stunning transformation. It's planted with a Japanese barberry and bright orange violas for a fiery fall color scheme.
make a tiled garden container planter for frugal upscale decor, container gardening, diy, flowers, gardening, how to, perennial, We started with a cheap wooden planter from the clearance section Choose something with smooth sides It took two square feet of tiles to cover this planter
We started with a cheap, wooden planter from the clearance section. Choose something with smooth sides. It took two square feet of tiles to cover this planter.
make a tiled garden container planter for frugal upscale decor, container gardening, diy, flowers, gardening, how to, perennial, We used liquid nail adhesive that we had on hand to stick the tiles down I cut them with about a 1 4 tile overlapping the edge Thankfully the gaps between the tiles allowed enough wiggle room to work them in without problem
We used liquid nail adhesive that we had on hand to stick the tiles down. I cut them with about a 1/4 tile overlapping the edge. Thankfully the gaps between the tiles allowed enough wiggle room to work them in without problem.
make a tiled garden container planter for frugal upscale decor, container gardening, diy, flowers, gardening, how to, perennial, What really added a lot to this project in my opinion is that we used a colored grout for in between the tiles The creamy tan blended with the tiles and the wood of the container much better than a bright white would have
What really added a lot to this project, in my opinion, is that we used a colored grout for in between the tiles. The creamy tan blended with the tiles and the wood of the container much better than a bright white would have.
make a tiled garden container planter for frugal upscale decor, container gardening, diy, flowers, gardening, how to, perennial, These bright orange violas will tolerate the cool weather of fall and contrast beautifully with the dark wood of the container They also contrast nicely with the upright growth and burgundy foliage of the Japanese barberry
These bright orange violas will tolerate the cool weather of fall and contrast beautifully with the dark wood of the container. They also contrast nicely with the upright growth and burgundy foliage of the Japanese barberry.

1 question on this project
  • Helene Rodgville
    Jul 20, 2018

Earlier today I saw a pallet that you made into a stenciled wall in shades of blue. Would you mind sharing it with me? I can’t seem to find it. Love your rejects. You’ve inspired me. Thanks. Helene