Faux Patchwork Terra Cotta Pot

$5

I needed something to hold my Keurig cups and I found the perfect solution. This project is versatile in that this cute little pot can be used for an array of things--plus, you can really add your personality to it by what scarf/fabric you choose.
SUPPLIES: - scarf -8" plastic (resin) terra cotta pot -fabric scissors - Mod Podge -foam brush NOT PICTURED: -iron
STEP 1: Iron scarf It's not a must but this step will likely make your life easier and will make your finished product look better. I first ironed my scarf on the silk setting since it was so thin (it was 100% polyester).
STEP 2: Mod Podge scarf Next, I started at one end and wrapped my scarf around my pot, applying heavy coats of Mod Podge as I went around.
This part can be annoying and tricky because the light weight scarf kept wanting to come off with the foam brush every time I'd try going back over it with the brush. I found that the trick was glopping on the Mod Podge and sometimes even dabbing in areas (especially under the lip and groove) to make the scarf stay down instead of coming up or sliding. You want to try and keep the scarf as straight as you can and do more dabbing than "brushing" because the scars WILL pull up.
STEP 3: Cut pleats I'm not sure if pleating would be the correct way to put it but because the pot was curved, my scarf naturally wanted to curve as well; however, I wanted my stripes to be as straight as possible. I experimented (and decided it was the best bet to keeping the lines straight) by making a cut where I noticed the scarf wanted to start looking like it was going downward (hope that makes sense!). This way, I could essentially overlap the cut parts so the lines appeared as if they were continuing in a straight line.
STEP 4: Mod Podge the inside and bottom Once the outside of my pot was covered and I was satisfied with how it looked, I repeated steps 2 and 3 on the inside. I didn't go all the way to the bottom on the inside with the scarf because I was going to be filling it and no one would be looking inside it anyway so I saved myself the extra time and effort. When I completed the inside, I carefully flipped my pot on its top and did the same steps for the outside bottom.
STEP 5: Let dry overnight When I flipped my pot on its top to finish the outside bottom, I placed it on an upside down vase to ensure that the Mod Podge wouldn't dry and that it wouldn't stick to my work surface. I only applied one heavy coat of Mod Podge to the entire pot and let it dry overnight. You can add more coats once each coat dries but I felt that one was sufficient for my thin scarf.
This cute little Keurig cup holder/pot definitely isn't perfect but I love how it almost appears to be somewhat of a patchwork pattern, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors. Due to material of the scarf, there were threads that pulled out where I cut the pleats as I was applying the Mod Podge, and I tried to cut them but I knew my efforts were going to be pointless, so I let them be and accepted this project as an artsy, funky piece.

• Scarf  (Dollar Tree)
  • 8" plastic (resin) terra cotta pot  (Home Depot)
  • Fabric scissors  (on hand (from JoAnns Fabric))

• Patricia Amos Denney

Why not put the mod podge on the pot esp. if using a slippery scarf?
  • Fay34273850

could you use this for a clear vase

• Cheri

Since it's been a while you may already have found out, but in case you didn't, the answer is yes you can mod podge the fabric to glass. I think using some type of clear container will look really nice. Depending on the fabric you could have a translucent look and I think that would be a cool looking container.

• A

How can make a candle with design with mode podge.