Grouted Vinyl (Peel & Stick) Tile

$100

We choose to put peel and stick tile in our master bathroom update for a few reasons. 1. It fit the budget 2. We had never done any type of floor venture and we figured it would be easy to get our feet wet with it 3. We plan on doing a complete overhaul in the bathroom in 5 years or so.
I'll tell you a bit about how we did things.Step one : Rip up carpet, all tack strips and staples.Step two: Vacuum plywood and then dry brush it (there are some recommendations for chemical cleaning agents, but we didn't use any)Step 3: Figure out placement (brick pattern or other, etc.)Step 4: Peel backing off and start laying the tile. Press firmly on each tile. We used a rolling pin on some and then used our feet on others.Step 5: Use a razor knife to score any tiles that need to be "cut".Step 5: Grout (Making sure to sponge off excess to eliminate the "fog")Step 6: Let dry.Enjoy.* So, we have had this in our house for over a year and it looks great. See more details on our blog.
You can't tell that it's peel and stick tile. The grout lines really make the floor look like real tile.
Before: Carpet After: Putting down tile with spacers
The floor really made the bathroom.
Bathroom as it is now.

Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus

• Julia

Question: Just bought a home built in 1973. The linoleum in the bathroom curves up the walls and under the vanity. Do I cut that to floor level first? I also have a kitchen that was tiled with really junky tile that chips like crazy. I initially thought of painting the existing tile. Is this type of tile the kind that peel and stick would work for also? I intend to grout it all.

• Mel92767

If it is chipped it might affect how the peel & stick tile is level. Also depending on if the chipped part is at the edge of the peel & stick when you walk on it, there can be flexing of the new floor. I would suggest repairing the chipped parts by removing a bigger section or if it's 12X12 tile place a filler piece down before you add the new floor.

• Jeanie Golding Riggio

I am interested in peel and stick tile in bathrooms and laundry room. How do you space them for the grout?
    • Mel92767

The same as ceramic tiles. There are little plastic pieces called spacers and as you lay each time,the spacers go in between the tiles. I believe there's a photo in the posting with the spacers being used.

• Michelle Webster

Do you have to have grout lines or can they be installed butted up together?

• Tami

Hi Michelle. You have the option of doing it either way. The edge of the tiles are slightly curved for grouting but I have laid it both ways, with and without grout and it looks good. just do not use spacers if not using grout.

• Charlene Albrecht

I have a very old side by side trailer. vinyl on bathrooms, laundry and kitchen. my question is this has been on floor for ever. before I get started, am I going to have to include new plywood flooring in all areas? will have to hire that done is so and cost goes way up. Cant just put new owe old because too high then

• Mel92767

What prep or repair work depends on the condition of your existing floors especially the subfloor.

It's better to correct issues so your new floors are secure so they can last w/o issues. "A job worth doing is a job worth doing right".

A subfloor can be 1/8 of an inch thick. The peel & stick tiles are usually as thick as linoleum or the 12X12 tiles from the 80's.