Cute Padded Denim Hearts Made From Your Old Jeans

$1

I love upcycling my old jeans and use them to make, pillows, quilts, wall organizers and even upholster chairs.
I often end up with lots of small scrap pieces of denim from these projects. Instead of throwing away these scraps, I used them to make some cute padded denim hearts.
These hearts look great hung up in a garland but also make a really sweet key chain/ring that would make a lovely little Valentine's gift.
I used a cookie cutter as a template for my heart shape. I drew round the cutter onto the wrong side of the denim and then cut out the heart.
You will need 2 heart shapes for each little padded heart, and a small length of jeans seam to make a loop.
Pin your hearts wrong sides together and pin the looped seam into the top.
Using a simple running stitch, sew the hearts together by hand leaving a small gap for stuffing.
Stuff the heart with a little bit of fiber from an old pillow and then sew them shut.
Brush a small amount of white glue around the outside edge of the hearts to stop them from fraying.
They were so quick and easy to make that I ended up making more cute little hearts.
To turn them into a lovely keychain just add a keyring like these ones here.
These key chains/rings make a sweet little gift and you can always give them with a card saying something corny like "the key to my heart" etc.
The denim hearts also look great just hung up in a garland as a rustic decoration.
I also made some lovely rustic denim heart wreaths with more of my jeans scraps, you can see them on the same blog post at the end.
Cookie cutters are great for templates, you may want to check out my very popular upcycled sweater ornaments I made with cookie cutters.

• Jeans scraps
  • Cookie cutter
  • Needle & thread

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Trishpatsy Carrigan

Why stick to denim? Seems like any fabric scraps would work. For the hanger you could use pre-folded bias tape. Wouldn't have to stitch it closed, but you could

• Jewellmartin

Claire, my granddaughter age six took a big black trash bag and made herself a dress. Then she started making what she called “puffies”, which were paper pillows, stuffed with black squares cut out of the dress. I think if I cut out some “puffies” from an old pair of jeans of mine, that she could make something close to your design. Thank you! ☺️