Pet Bed

$20

What better feeling is there than to make something out of something you got free? Okay, so it does mean I pulled over onto the side of the road to pick through someone's garbage, but I have no pride. No, really, I don't. ;)
I've seen many drawer projects here at Hometalk, and everywhere else online and when I spotted two drawers in a pile of rubbish, I had to grab them. They were pretty disgusting, but
pet bed
Pretty gross, right? I had to peel off that contact paper and it was covered in dust and, gasp, cobwebs! It took some elbow grease, but well worth it.
pet bed
I painted a coat of latex primer, Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 and then two coats of Americana Decor chalk paint, in Primitive, on the outside and a homemade navy chalk paint, three coats, for the inside. Recipe that I use is: Mix 1/3 cup of plaster of Paris and 1/3 cup of cool water; stir until completely smooth. Mix that with 1 cup of latex paint and stir thoroughly.
pet bed
Because the bottom was still tacky from residual glue from the contact paper, I decoupaged some black tissue paper and gave it three coats of Mod Podge for durability. I had filled the holes left from removing the drawer handle and printed out some Nova Scotia tartan print and cut a dog bone out of that, adding it to the drawer facade for decor, using white glue and three coats of Mod Podge on that as well.
pet bed
For fun, I used painters tape on the sides to create some lines in bright colours.
pet bed
I bought some deck topper posts to use as feet and primed, then painted them in white. They cost around $4 each at most hardware stores. My husband helped me figure out how to screw them into the bottom of each corner, which I reinforced from the inside with a small block of wood. The whole drawer and four feet were waxed and buffed.
pet bed
I stuck some felt pads on the wooden feet so as not to scratch the floor.
pet bed
I filled the drawer with a poofy cushion and that was that!
pet bed
Sammy seems to enjoy it quite a bit! :)
pet bed
pet bed

• Drawer  (Trash!)
  • Chalk paint  (bought and homemade)
  • Wood feet (pretreated deck post toppers)  (Home Depot)

• Vicki DeSautel Ruzicka

What keeps Cats from Urinating on my Carpeted Patio?

• Kristine Kelley Bailey

vinegar. Cats hate the smell of it. Spray some on the area they urinated on. They were using my cedar mulch as a cat box and I tried vinegar at someones suggestion. It worked.

• Sandy

None of the paint is harmful to the animals or smelled?
    • Marj MRC Creations

No, Sandy. Chalk paint is non-toxic, odour-free and lead-free. You can use it while pregnant and babies, pets and others are safe around it. The wax I use is bees wax, so also very safe. :)