IKEA Hack: EXPEDIT Into Media Unit

I needed a better and more attractive solution for our upstairs game room. I had an IKEA expedit and some bookcases, so I got pretty creative and put my mad DIY skills to good use!
ikea hack expedit into media unit

Before--this room feels crowded and crazy, with furniture that doesn't fit the space well. I took out my circular saw and cut one bookcase in half.

ikea hack expedit into media unit

I added face frames to the bookcase. Then I used a special primer and a beautiful gray paint to paint them into one uniform color.

ikea hack expedit into media unit

I used 2x4s to build a base for the unit so it all gets lifted up and looks more high end.

ikea hack expedit into media unit

I added some trim to the base and painted it gray also. Then I screwed the bookcase parts to the EXPEDIT. Finally I used some planks of wood to create the tabletop. I stained and sealed it.

ikea hack expedit into media unit

And here is the beautiful end result! I absolutely love this piece and how it has transformed this room. Doing stuff like this is why I love DIY!

ikea hack expedit into media unit

My hubby hung the TV and even drilled through the drywall so there would be no cords hanging down. We got some different furniture and I had blast styling it with art and accessories.

ikea hack expedit into media unit

I spray painted these old metal bins from my sister in law who has since passed away and they are special to me. I love that I can take something special and change it with a little paint and make it work for my decor as well as having something sentimental.
I love the finished result!

Honeybear Lane

• Melisa James Askew

I want to try this. Where did you get your baskets?

• Laurie

Ikea has these baskets in all sizes. Just measure and purchase!!!!! :)

• Mary Russell

Great job all around. mounting the tv up on the wall was a great idea,especially with young children around.They have been pulled over onto youngsters to cause injury.Really like the top you installed on the grouping,helps make it one.Noticed in the still ,looked like the drapes needed hemmed,but in the video they looked ok.Did you take them up,and if so,was curious if shortened and re-sewsd or just folded and tacked?All in all a great job,take a bow.

• Mary Ragan

They have either been altered--or replaced with shorter drapes...but they are the same

• Darlene

Where are all the electronics, plugs etc?

• Edith Siegel

She said her hubby drilled through the sheet rock. They run down behind that to the outlet.