Dus17403359
Dus17403359
  • Winchester, IN

Detailed Oak Accent Table - Refinish

I saw this sweet little table on a buy/sell/trade site and I just had to give it a little bit more life!

detailed oak accent table, painted furniture, woodworking projects

This is how this sweet little table appeared to me on a buy/sell/trade site. I was lucky enough to be the first to comment that I was interested, because there was about 50 more people behind me! I set up a time and place to take a gander at it, right away! I fell in love!

There was no finish on this table so I just started sanding! I of course started in for all the easily accessible areas!

I even did the drawer before going for those spindly legs!!! Tell me those aren't just a little intimidating!  For the drawer, I sanded what I could access and then I stripped it with a chemical stripper and tiny scrub brushes. I was pleased with the outcome.

I finally got up the nerve to get those spindles sanded down! I'll tell you what! Should you ever need to sand and area that is, well, a little funky in shape, get yourself some 3M flexible sandpaper! You won't regret it, ever! I just happened to have some free samples in several packages of regular 3M, I thought I'd give it a go and it was AMAZING!

I was so happy, I took a table selfie!!

I couldn't let that beautiful hand carved drawer hide behind a monotonal stain color. I decided to paint and distress with several shades of teal/blue. After distressing, I stained the entire table in red mahogany. I sealed with a tung oil finish that just made the grain pop!

Every piece has a story to tell....this one says, look at me now!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dustanddetails.jennlynnphillips

• Two9986554

I'm in LOVE with the blues. I have a tall french provencial dresser that I'm going to paint. The metal handles are very detailed. I would love to use these colors. What kind of paint would I use for metal?
    • Katherine

I have painted metal handles with spray paint that is specifically for metal or hard to adhere surfaces. It’s worked beautifully and made a huge difference in the look of the furniture.

• Kristen Miller

You did a beautiful job and thanks for the info on the flexible sandpaper I will have to pick some up! What was the chemical stripper you used and what were you stripping, a previous stain? I think it would look great with the bottom squares painted in the color, too, but it's gorgeous as is, of course! Move over Chip and Jo Jo :)
  • Emmawilliams1

Love the look!! How much did you pay for the table, may I ask? thank you.
    • Dus17403359

Thank you! I don’t mind at all, I bought the table off the rummage site for $50.00.