Faux Brick Wall With Paint

Changed drap to fab! Make that boring wall a conversation piece with paint, and a free weekend!

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

Why have an accent wall, when you can have a STATEMENT wall!

I was bored with my solid orange wall, and after visiting family on the east coast; was feeling exposed brick NYC-inspired. But living in a rental, there was no way i could get real bricks in place. I did however have a ton of leftover paints from prior projects and a lot of painters tape. So i began my mission to change my dining room wall into a focal point. 

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

Select your wall.

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

Step 1. Use painters tape (1 inch or larger) on adjacent walls, as to not transfer color to unintended areas. Add drop cloth to the floor.

Step 2. Add a primer base coat.
I used a slightly gray color. (This will become the 'grout' color between your bricks)

*Let this coat dry over night.

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

Step 3. This is the longest step - fair warning! Tape out your bricks with 1/4 inch painters tape. Use whatever brand you like best. I had to order my painters tape from amazon, b/c i could not find small enough width at the hardware stores.
Protip: Use a spoon to smooth down the tape and prevent messy edges.

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

(I had a moment and lost the painters tape, mid-project; so I used some masking tape - NOT recommended).

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

This step took me about 8 hours. But i did stop when my arms were tired or I was hungry.

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

Step 4. The MOST fun part! Sporadically paint the wall. You do not want the colors to look uniform. I used a chocolate brown base, then randomly added reds and oranges. But this was personal preference. If you want a more muted wall, use browns, tans and whites (eggshell). But again, whatever colors you like or think will match the look you are going for.
*Any paint rollers are fine for this part, as it doesn't need to be a perfect finish.

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

Step 5. Remove all the painters tape.

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

Step 6. ENJOY!

faux brick wall, concrete masonry

• Paint
  • Painters tape  (*Look for this prior to painting)
  • Drop cloth

• Patricia

What are the dimensions of the bricks? How tall and how wide? Thanks

• Rob F

I did this over porous tile on my kitchen backsplash, and didn't need texture. I painted uneven black rows to make a dark grout color, then covered the tile with gray, brown, and a hint of red. Just layer the colors to blend.

• Gail F Robinson

I have a brick wall in my den and I would like to do something to it to liven the brick up . The. brick is not red it is like old brick with a red and brownish look . Is there anything that can be done to brighten it up? Thank you for any suggestions

• Martina

Lightly paint the bricks using white or cream. Give it a very dry brushing to simulate aged bricks. That should brighten it up
  • Llo30296338

Could you use a brick wallpaper and then apply tape and start process. Thought this might save time and would it stick to the wallpaper.

• Stephanie Labbate

Amazing!
  • Beth

Sorry, but your bricks are too flat and your grout lines are too thick. It doesn't look very real. You should use thinner tape for the grout and add wall mud to the bricks for a realistic look.