DIY an Awesome Footstool With Storage From Jeans and a Crate.

$20-30
1-2 Hour

Gosh, this denim footstool has got to be one of the best and most useful things I've made in a long while. My husband loves to rest his feet on it while watching telly. The kids love to scoot around the house on it. And I can quickly hide all the clutter from the top of the coffee table inside it when family visit.

It's a piece of furniture for all the family maybe that's why I stenciled our family name to the side of it!

Not only is it really handy for storing my magazines in but it looks great with the denim and has the extra personal touch of the family name on the side. The casters make it really nifty.
I love the fact also that it was made with my husband's old jeans giving it that industrial rustic farmhouse look. The footstool/ottoman lives in our living room but it would look fantastic in a den or a teen room. You could personalise it for a teen by stenciling their name on the side or the name of their favourite team.
I used an IKEA Knagglig crate and IKEA casters for my upcycle. You can use any strong crate and you can buy similar casters. Click here to see the ones on amazon.
I made my crate up according to the instructions. Using a black sharpie and a letter stencil I stenciled my family name on the side.

As the crate was unfinished, I waxed it with some dark wood wax to both protect it and give it rustic look. Then I screwed on the casters to bottom of the crate.
For the upholstered lid. I cut some plywood the same size as the crate top and some dense foam which I stuck to the plywood.
I then covered this with denim and stuck the waistband around the edge.
The underside of the lid was covered with a piece of fabric to hide the upholstery staples. And finally I screwed in two batons to stop the upholstered lid from moving around when you sit on it.

More detailed instructions are available using the blog link at the end.
If you are like me and love repurposing your old jeans then you may want to check out my other brilliant denim storage ideas including another IKEA hack. click here to see them..

• Crate
  • Casters
  • Jeans

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Katherine Smith

What size wheels and fi isherhright? I was thinking of doing 2 and use together as a coffee table

• Shirley4

This is awesome... and on my to-do project list! You are too clever!!! How did you fasten the waistband around the edge? Staples?

• Shirley4

Absolutely agree. The waistband is the perfect finishing touch!

• John

Love this where did you get the stencil for the wording?