DIY Wood Serving Tray

Don't spend a fortune on a cute serving tray- MAKE ONE for just a few dollars. Or if you're like me, you can make it from materials you already have on hand.
diy wood serving tray
It’s actually made from a piece of birch that we had left over from some shelves we made earlier. We cut the birch slab to 14″ x 24.” Then cut 3 grooves at 3.5″ wide. Grooves were cut using the table saw set to 1/8.” 
diy wood serving tray
diy wood serving tray
The raised edges were made by cutting a 1″x4″ in half for width and cut to the length of the sides. These were attached by gluing and stapling them from the bottom. Clamps were added to hold it all nicely together while the glue dried. 
diy wood serving tray
Stain with some Danish Oil.
diy wood serving tray
I dry brushed a light colored chalk paint over the stain finish to give a rustic look.
diy wood serving tray
I then added a vinyl saying that I cut out with my Silhouette. If you don't have a cutting machine, you can always use a stencil and some paint to add a nice visual element.
diy wood serving tray
I finally added a pair of drawer pulls for handles.
diy wood serving tray
We sprayed on a matte enamel over everything to protect the tray from spills. Voila! You have a nice serving tray that looks much more difficult than it was.
diy wood serving tray
Under a Texas Sky

1 comment