Charlee Hunter
Charlee Hunter
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Troy, MI

Drab Drop Cloth Seeks Dramatic Makeover

A drop cloth goes from drab to fab!
A few weeks ago I purchased a drop cloth at a local hardware store that I did not end up using. I had been trying to decide what to use for a new curtain/valance for my kitchen window. I had run across this awesome curtain idea on pinterest, and while I did not save the link at the time, I was so inspired to try it , that I did not forget it. I just needed to find the right material for my Idea.
My old curtain was nice but it was making my kitchen feel a bit too dark and with spring (fingers crossed) right around the corner , I wanted to lighten it up. So , while cleaning up my 'creative' area I again came across the drop cloth and had a heck of an 'aha!' moment. I loved the rough texture of the material and the fact it was not perfect was...well, perfect! The color was perfect too. I washed it and decided that this was indeed what I was looking for. It definitely wanted to be something more than just a drop cloth...

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

Before.......

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

I measured out the amount of material I needed and began by running a double stich up each side.  I was able to use the original stitching as the bottom hem, and it had a double stitch, so I used that on the sides as well. Look at the texture on this!  Love the 'gauzy' look.

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

You can see the center seam here.  I did not need to use it as the cloth was wide enough for me to avoid it, but I liked the added interest it gave.  Here I am working on the top of the curtain , making the sleeve where the curtain rod will go.

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

Now the fun begins!!  I am beginning the stenciling.

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

A couple of the products I used. I use the spray adhesive on my stencils as I feel it is a much better hold that just tape around the edges. The dark silver and the dark grey were mixed to create a darker silver grey for the first layer of stenciling.

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

I started the stenciling in the center top and worked my way across to each side. This stencil is really wonderful and gives you letters to match to your next lay.

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

Almost done with this step!

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

The center stencil , second layer.  This one is done just down the center and is in Copper. All paints used were chalk paint.  I purchased some matching ribbon from Michaels and after this was dry I inserted the rod in the pocket and got ready to hang'er up!
For those of you asking (thank you : )  The stencils came from Amazon:
French Poem Craft Stencil - By Cutting Edge Stencils
Deco Art Americana Decor Stencil, Cafe Paris

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

Here it is!! I am a sucker for bows.. a definite girly girl and love the paris influence. Even my husband loved it . I was shocked.

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

Love this picture showing the lovely glow of the light on the curtain

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

and here it is in the daylight!  I hope this inspires you to find something unusual for your creation :)

drab drop cloth seeks dramatic makeover

Just a quick update.. my original 'vision' for this valance was to have natural and black striped ribbon, however I was not able to find what I wanted.  While out at JoAnn's with my mother to look for flowers, I ran across this ribbon and loved it.  I changed up the look with a silky black/neutral checked ribbon : ) Now I have two options! : )

• Standard drop cloth  (local hardware)
  • Pewter, dk grey and copper chalk paint  (on hand)
  • Thread, pins, sewing machine, pinking shears and ribbon  (on hand and at Michaels)

• Karla Mathis Bostic

Can you explain how you attached or tied the ribbons to look like this? Love it.

• Diana

I love this idea! Have you washed them yet? Did the paint fade?
    • Charlee Hunter

Good point Jill! I use old discarded plastic table cloths under all the items I'm painting. : )
  • Coni

What was the total cost for your project? Are drop clothes pricey?
    • SnowKnitty

For those looking to do a really large project or multiple small ones, check Harbor Freight. They are selling a 9' x 12' drop cloth (10 oz. weight) for $16.49.

• CAROL

Will definitely give this a try! It’s truly beautiful and very creative! You did an amazing job of making such a plain item into a stunner❤️

• Judy

I just love your curtain, very ingenious of you. I beleive you went beyond what was just going to be a kitchen curtain. BRAVO to you!