Mary Ann Goldberg
Mary Ann Goldberg
  • Tutorial Team
  • Lake Saint Louis, MO

More Button Storage

If you recall, last year I posted about the metal drawers I repurposed for my buttons (you can see it here: https://www.facebook.com/Hometalk/photos/a.230340873650143.80227.201765839840980/1382548785096007/?type=3&theater )

Well, turns out that they couldn’t hold my whole collection, so I’ve been on the prowl for more storage. I found it in these two smaller cabinets I found at a resale shop. They were $30 each, not high quality, but they work for me.
more button storage
more button storage
I really dislike faux wood grain, so I first sanded down the outside of both cabinets. Next they were primed, including the inside of the drawers. The original drawers were black inside and I wanted something brighter (see first photo).

more button storage
They were sanded again and then using two sample size paint colors from Behr (sorry, I don’t know what the colors were) and two colors I had on hand, they were each painted with two coats. Also decorated were the sides of the two new cabinets, of which one was decorated on the sides and top by hand stenciling.
more button storage
more button storage
They were sanded again and then using two sample size paint colors from Behr (sorry, I don’t know what the colors were) and two colors I had on hand, they were each painted with two coats. Also decorated were the sides of the two new cabinets, of which one was decorated on the sides and top by hand stenciling. You can see below why I don’t like how that turned out.  I am not good at it and will redo it at some point.
more button storage
Finally, they were stenciled and/or spray painted with designs using lace. The last pictures show the drawer sets all together.
more button storage
more button storage
more button storage
 I went with darker colors than the first pair.  
more button storage
I have my storage all set up now. The total cost was under $70 since I had most of the paint and painting supplies.