Kitchen Back Splash
When I purchased a new refrigerator recently, we had to do some rearrangement of our cabinets to accommodate it ( it was quite a bit larger than the 80s era 'fridge it replaced) . Which brought to my attention, once again, a feature of my kitchen that I have never been happy about -- the useless little pass-through behind the stove -- and gave me the opportunity to do something about it -- installing an
This is what we had after leveling out all the cabinets to allow for the greater height of the new refrigerator. As you can see, the pass-through is really awkward and about the only purpose it serves is to collect grease.
I didn't want to tile the whole wall, so I marked out & removed the sheetrock from the area I was going to tile.
I cut a piece of 1/4" backer board to fit the area and set my tiles. I used mastic rather than thinset since mastic grips quicker and I didn't want to fight the tendency of tile sheets to 'slump' on vertical installations. After a couple of days, I sealed the mortar and the tile part was done.
But it left me with a bit of a conundrum ... the drywall in the kitchen was 5/8" which meant that the surface of the tile inset was just slightly raised. Normally, that would be solved with bull nose or pencil tiles around the edge but I couldn't find anything that I liked and wasn't cost prohibitive. Then I had an idea....
I had picked up 2 sticks of this trim just because I liked it. So, why not use it to trim the tile? It would work to cover the edges of the tile, wood is a little more forgiving than tile on an uneven surface and it would like great; problem solve. But, wait! I had another idea...
What if you tinted the trim with UnicornSpit to accentuate the details? Yeah, I get to play with Spit!
After hours on my knees with a fine paintbrush and some experimentation with colors, this is what I ended up with. Well, not quite because, yes , I had one more idea. There were little indentation in the trim that beg for some embellishment ( at least in my mind), So...
I added copper-clad BBs, which was an interesting process. After several false starts, I found an adhesive that would hold them if the wood flexed and dried clear. A couple more coats of spray on sealer to keep the copper from oxidizing and i was ready to put it all together
This is my end result. I'm really happy with the way this turned out.
- 1/4" Hardie board (Lowe's)
- Mesh-backed mosaic tile sheets (Home Depot)
- Type 1 tile adhesive (Lowe's)