Sara
Sara
  • Anchorage, AK

Kitchen Island Ikea Hack

This project is perfect if you have a small kitchen or just don't have enough counter or cupboard space. All you need are 2 Ikea LACK tables, some paint and a few basic tools and you can have a brand new kitchen island!

kitchen island ikea hack

Start with 2 Ikea Lack tables. Use Liquid Nails on the bottom of each leg on one of the tables and put it on top of the other table. If you'd like more pictures & detail for any step of this process, visit: http://www.finditfixitorbuildit.com/kitchen-island-ikea-hack/

kitchen island ikea hack

Paint the whole thing whatever color you want. I used Rustoleum Metallic Flat Soft Iron spray paint. Cut a few pieces of lumber to size and attach using a Kreg Jig to make the bottom shelf. You could also use 3 Ikea Lack tables and use the 3rd table top for the bottom shelf instead if you want to have an easier project.

kitchen island ikea hack

You can paint the top the same color as the rest of the island, or use EZFauxDecor (like contact paper, but way more heavy duty) to make it look like you have a marble top. They also have other marble/granite designs as well as stainless steel. Water won't damage it. Visit http://www.finditfixitorbuildit.com/kitchen-island-ikea-hack/ for more project details & to see where to buy it.

Right now EZFaux Décor is giving away a 12-ft roll of this marble film! You can enter here: http://www.finditfixitorbuildit.com/ezfaux-decor-spring-giveaway-info/

kitchen island ikea hack

Add whatever hardware you like (just for looks, there is no functional purpose). I used 4 L-shaped brackets. Load it up with anything you don't have room for in your cupboards or on your countertop! I originally had casters on the bottom, but one ended up ripping right off, so I took them off. It's actually the perfect counter height without the casters anyway:) For more detailed instructions, visit http://www.finditfixitorbuildit.com/kitchen-island-ikea-hack/

• 2 Lack Tables  (Ikea)
  • Hardware (L-shaped brackets)  (Lowe's)
  • Paint or Spray Paint  (Lowe's)

To see more: http://www.finditfixitorbuildit.com/kitchen-island-ikea-hack/

• Susan gibbs

Why did you use the corner brackets? Are they just for looks? I read your DYI and blog article. I found no explanation for the brackets. Thanks

• Pharrbks

Looks like she used them to hold the bottom shelf up.

• Sheryl Sumpter

purely decorative - they are nothing

• Sheryl Sumpter

oops - they are holding nothing

• ColleenB.

The L brackets just gives it an extra little detail. Bottom section of the legs are glued down to the top of the bottom section using liquid nails and the brackets are just for looks.

• Woo12708366

The wheels are a great idea. Add them to the list of materials

• Sara

Yes, the brackets are just for looks! Thanks for asking:)

• Geneva Craven Schult

Yep, says right in the post " Add whatever hardware you like (just for looks, there is no functional purpose). I used 4 L-shaped brackets."

• Cmw12401835

Great idea! I'm getting ready to move to a new house that, unfortunately, doesn't have a whole lot of kitchen counter space to spare so I'm just wondering if you think this would be sturdy enough to hold my heavy KitchenAid mixer -- especially since you mentioned in your blog that casters might not be the best idea for this project. Thanks!

• Sara

If you don't have casters it's actually pretty sturdy and can definitely hold some heavy things, but I just went to test out putting my KitchenAid on it and it's too tall to fit:(

• Cmw12401835

Well, that's certainly a disappointment because I really wanted to use it specifically for my KitchenAid mixer. I love that thing to death but it's just so heavy and hard to move around on the counter so I hoped putting it on a little cart with wheels in a small, out-of-the-way corner that I could just roll around to where I needed it would help with that problem. But that's okay; this is still a great idea for other uses in an otherwise-small kitchen all the same so thank you very much for sharing it with your fellow Hometalkers. We most certainly appreciate it! :-)

• Ann

Coward1998, what if you left the mixer on top? I have a kitchenaid also and hate lugging it but if this became the mixer stand and you could store you bowls etc on the middle shelf. If casters make it too much steady put silicone furniture sliders under the legs so you can pull it out when you want to use it. I'm giving mine to my granddaughter who loves to bake. No more lugging and fewer calories in the house!
    • Ann

Cmward1998, just saw that auto correct changed your name, my apologies that I didn't see it sooner.
    • Cmw12401835

Great idea, Ann! We won't be moving for another month yet so I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind once we're in there and I begin setting up my new kitchen area. There's a small space right next to the side of the refrigerator that would be just right for this cute little cart but given how heavy (not to mention expensive!) that mixer is, I really don't want to take a chance on anything happening to it. I'd much rather continue having difficulty scooting that thing around on the counter than have it be so top-heavy that it causes whatever it's sitting on to collapse. I'd rather lose what little counter space there is than lose that mixer because it took too darn long to talk my husband into buying it for me in the first place!

P.S.: LOL to the fewer calories comment (!) and no worries about the typo. I've been a "victim" of autocorrect too and understand how frustrating it can be when it does that. What's important is that I was finally able to receive your suggestion all the same so thanks again!

• Deborah Lee

What a great idea! And it looks SO good. I can see using four tables and making a shelf for linens, or a vertical garden, etc. I just love such versatile pieces! Well done!

• Sara

Thanks! Yes, I was wishing I had more of these tables to make more projects. Sadly, there's no Ikea in Alaska!

• Chuck Peterson

I've seen tables like this at Walmart and Target, so I might have to make a trip there tomorrow, since IKEA is 3 hours from here.......though a road trip does sound fun!

• Bonnie

Ikea does do shipping to your home on some items.

• Denise

What is a Lack Table??

• Suter

that is the "series" name of furniture at ikea

• Denise

Thanks!

• Sara

They're the square tables from Ikea shown in the first pic. They come in black or white and are only $9.99!

• Betty

$7.99 in Miami!

• Asha Asha

In Poland (Europe) there are yellow ones available, too. About $11 (lucky you!)
  • Barbara

What is a "Kreg" Jig?
    • Rhonda S

A jig is a divice that helps you hold or steady the project and make sure the screws go in straight or you mark the nails the right way. I would guess that Kreg is either for putting corners or legs on or it is a brand name. Most of our jigs are home made to hold welding in position. Anything you are going to do multiple times can benefit from a jig. I volunteeered with the Texas Ramp project, where untrained volunteers who really didn't know each other well assemble platforms and put railings on very sturdy ramps for individuals who need wheel chair access to their homes. The organizer had giant jigs where we put the plywood and 2X4s in position on the jig, then screwed them together with the placement for screws marked on the jig. It went really fast, and we could make the three platforms required for a safe and sturdy ramp then assemble the whole thing in a single morning. Of course, someone had put in time to cut all the boards and 2x4 lumber to size before we started.

• Sara

It's the blue thing in the 2nd picture. It comes with a drill attachment and allows you to drill perfect pocket holes. This makes it really easy to attach any pieces of wood that are perpendicular to each other. The easiest way to do this project would be to get 3 tables & use just the tabletop from the 3rd table (no legs) as the very bottom shelf. I'm in Alaska & we don't have Ikea here, so I used scrap wood.