Faux Fur Foot Stool

$30

You've probably noticed how hot Mongolian fur (or faux fur) is in the interior design world right now. It's popping up at all of the high-end stores, in designer pillows, rugs and foot stools. I fell head-over-heels in love with the footstools at West Elm, but didn't love the price that came along with it. So, what's every DIYer to do? Make it for much less of course! This one is SO simple and inexpensive, you just have to give this trendy project a try.

faux fur foot stool

SUPPLIES:

- Wood Chair

- Mongolian or Faux Fur Fabric

- Spray Paint (Gold)

- Foam Pads x 2 (each atleast 1" thick)

- Hack Saw

- Staple Gun

- Heavy Duty Upholstery Staples

faux fur foot stool

I found this old wooden chair (for $15) at an antique store buried under piles of furniture. I liked the character the legs had, and the rattan seat was very strong. Remember to use a chair that has legs you like, as the rest will be covered up or cut-off.

faux fur foot stool

Step 1: Cut off the back rest portion of the chair. You will only need the base, seat and legs.

faux fur foot stool

Once cut, your seat should resemble something like this.

faux fur foot stool

Step 2: Spray paint the legs with Rust-Oleum paint in metallic gold. Be sure to do this in a well-ventilated (or outdoor) area.

faux fur foot stool

Step 3: Place your foam pads on top of the chair seat. If you are using two pieces like I did, be sure they are aligned as closely as possible.

faux fur foot stool

Step 4: Cut your faux fur to the correct size of your stool.

Be sure to leave a large amount of excess, so you can wrap it around to the underside of the stool where you will be stapling it to the base.

faux fur foot stool

Step 5: Attach the Faux Fur to the base.

Flip your stool over, and secure the excess faux fur to the base of the stool use a staple gun.

faux fur foot stool

Step 6: Cut any excess fabric off of the corners and save it for the next step.

faux fur foot stool

Step 7: Using the excess faux fur pieces, place them onto any bare areas on the underside of the stool base. Use your staple gun to secure them.

faux fur foot stool

Voila! Your gorgeous new footstool is ready in no time, and you'll have everyone fooled at how much it actually cost you. I just love the pop of texture and playfulness it added to my home interior. Plus, it's extremely comfortable and extremely functional as a footstool.

• Mongolian Faux Fur Children's Rug (Blush)  (Marshall's)
  • Wood Chair  (Consignment Antique Store)
  • Rust-Oleum Spray Paint (Metallic Gold)  (Home Depot)

• Shirley Heikkinen

I am curious to know if the staples have poked through or worked lose? It doesn't seem that they would stay in fabric, the woven seat or foam.
    • Julien K., Hometalk Team

Nothing yet! I used heavy-duty upholstery staples, which is important as they are extra long and a heavier weight.

• Sharon.sorensen

Can this be used as a seat as well? I am doing my grand daughter's room (from pinks to blues) and her frilly, girly, white chair could be changed over to this, if you think the staples will go thru the wood? Please advise. I love the faux fur look...I know my girl will too...if I can find it in teal.
    • Zwi4712977

You can get different colors of faux fur too! Have fun! I'm sorry, I can't remember where I have seen the different colors, but they are out there somewhere!

• Linda Abate

I can see this type of stool in a little girls room for sure. I know that this is something my granddaughter would enjoy having. Great job.
    • Amy

She didn’t know. I’ve made this mistake before so I call my mom now to see if it’s an important piece.

• Laurie Cavanaugh Bobskill

I can't believe anyone would do this to a vintage pillowback Hitchcock chair.