Faux Fur Foot Stool

$30

You've probably noticed how hot Mongolian fur (or faux fur) is in the interior design world right now. It's popping up at all of the high-end stores, in designer pillows, rugs and foot stools. I fell head-over-heels in love with the footstools at West Elm, but didn't love the price that came along with it. So, what's every DIYer to do? Make it for much less of course! This one is SO simple and inexpensive, you just have to give this trendy project a try.

SUPPLIES:

- Wood Chair

- Mongolian or Faux Fur Fabric

- Spray Paint (Gold)

- Foam Pads x 2 (each atleast 1" thick)

- Hack Saw

- Staple Gun

- Heavy Duty Upholstery Staples

I found this old wooden chair (for $15) at an antique store buried under piles of furniture. I liked the character the legs had, and the rattan seat was very strong. Remember to use a chair that has legs you like, as the rest will be covered up or cut-off.

Step 1: Cut off the back rest portion of the chair. You will only need the base, seat and legs.

Once cut, your seat should resemble something like this.

Step 2: Spray paint the legs with Rust-Oleum paint in metallic gold. Be sure to do this in a well-ventilated (or outdoor) area.

Step 3: Place your foam pads on top of the chair seat. If you are using two pieces like I did, be sure they are aligned as closely as possible.

Step 4: Cut your faux fur to the correct size of your stool.

Be sure to leave a large amount of excess, so you can wrap it around to the underside of the stool where you will be stapling it to the base.

Step 5: Attach the Faux Fur to the base.

Flip your stool over, and secure the excess faux fur to the base of the stool use a staple gun.

Step 6: Cut any excess fabric off of the corners and save it for the next step.

Step 7: Using the excess faux fur pieces, place them onto any bare areas on the underside of the stool base. Use your staple gun to secure them.

Voila! Your gorgeous new footstool is ready in no time, and you'll have everyone fooled at how much it actually cost you. I just love the pop of texture and playfulness it added to my home interior. Plus, it's extremely comfortable and extremely functional as a footstool.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Mongolian Faux Fur Children's Rug (Blush)  (Marshall's)
  • Wood Chair  (Consignment Antique Store)
  • Rust-Oleum Spray Paint (Metallic Gold)  (Home Depot)

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Perfectly Round Tables

• Shirley Heikkinen

I am curious to know if the staples have poked through or worked lose? It doesn't seem that they would stay in fabric, the woven seat or foam.
    • Stevie Johnson

To Shirley Heikkien & Sharon.sorenson. If I was not using a chair w/ a sturdier seat, I would place a piece of at least 1/2" thick plwood on top of the seat. And 3/4" thick. plywood would be better yet. Hot glue the plywood to existing seat if it is not solid wood. The wrapped & tightly stapled fur should keep the board from shirting even tho held only by glue.Use screws if it is wood but flimsy. Put screws in from the top so points are under the board.

• Sharon.sorensen

Can this be used as a seat as well? I am doing my grand daughter's room (from pinks to blues) and her frilly, girly, white chair could be changed over to this, if you think the staples will go thru the wood? Please advise. I love the faux fur look...I know my girl will too...if I can find it in teal.
    • Jaynie

Oh, you definitely could! I've seen different colors of faux fur at Burlington, TJMaxx, Homegoods, etc. Check out the fabric stores when there's a good coupon. Have fun!

• Doreen Kennedy

I love how your stool turned out. I have a Hitchcock Chair like yours that I’d love to spray paint gold. I like the chair back, but the seat on mine is unraveling. I’m wondering if I could glue a piece of plywood to the top and finish the seat to look like your stool. Anyway, thanks for the great idea!

• Doreen Freeman

I will deffinitely try this project & I want it to be a surprise so I'll show & tell before/after. It will be started after Projects A - Z are finished.