Recovering Roman Shades - No Sew Of Course!

$20

When we bought our house 4 years ago, one of the first things that I did was replace the dated maroon mini blinds with in-stock white roman shades. After 4 years of hot Texas sun, the shades have yellowed and become sun bleached.

For months I scoured the internet looking for shades to replace them. I never found any that I loved, but there were many I liked. As with most things, though, they were very expensive!

After tackling the No Sew Tie Up Shades I wondered if I could use hem tape and recover the existing shades. I practiced with some inexpensive fabric I had on hand, and once I saw how easy it was, I decided to buy fabric and recover them.
For the complete tutorial, please visit: http://www.therozyhome.com

* I tried to document this the best I can. It's quite difficult to put many of these steps into words, so please feel free to contact me if you have any questions!
Before and After
Before and After
Find your center:
After laying the roman shades flat, lay the fabric on top and determine your center. I do this by folding over each edge and making sure the pattern cuts off on each side.
Find your center: After laying the roman shades flat, lay the fabric on top and determine your center. I do this by folding over each edge and making sure the pattern cuts off on each side.
Check the pattern on each side to make sure it folds in the same spot. Cut fabric 1/2 yard longer than the fabric length when laid on top of the shade. This will allow you to make dramatic folds.
Measure  a piece of hem tape to the width of the shades.
Measure a piece of hem tape to the width of the shades.
Iron the hem tape on.
Iron the hem tape on.
I have shades with a removable top piece, so I pressed the fabric as is. If you do not have this, fold over the top edge of the  fabric before pressing for edges (similar to how you will do the bottom hem. See below)
I have shades with a removable top piece, so I pressed the fabric as is. If you do not have this, fold over the top edge of the fabric before pressing for edges (similar to how you will do the bottom hem. See below)
Find the dowel (the wooden bar) for the first fold of the shade. Pinch the fabric around that area.
Once you determine the amount of fold you like, lay it flat and press it.
Place a piece of hem tape on the width of the dowel and press.
Fold the fabric back over and press the fabric underneath the fold.  This will attach the fabric to the roman shade.

Repeat the above steps until you reach the bottom of the shade.
Fold the fabric back over and press the fabric underneath the fold. This will attach the fabric to the roman shade. Repeat the above steps until you reach the bottom of the shade.
Turn up the bottom edge of the shade.

Determine whether you want clean edges. If the shade will face a street or you are a perfectionist, you will want clean edges. To do this, fold the fabric edge over half way.
Turn up the bottom edge of the shade. Determine whether you want clean edges. If the shade will face a street or you are a perfectionist, you will want clean edges. To do this, fold the fabric edge over half way.
Fold again.
Fold again.
Press the fabric. Attach a piece of hem tape on the bottom dowel and press fabric.
Turn the roman shade over so the fabric is laying face down.
Fold the side edge as you did the bottom. Attach a piece of hem tape on the side edge and press fabric to create a bond.

Doing one side and one section at a time is easier.
Fold the side edge as you did the bottom. Attach a piece of hem tape on the side edge and press fabric to create a bond. Doing one side and one section at a time is easier.
That's it! Sit back and marvel at your work!

The Rozy Home

• Artistmom

I was wondering, how does the cord and raising mechanism work with the added weight of more fabric?

• The Rozy Home

@Artistmom Good morning! It's held up great! Granted , I used a very light fabric but there have been no problems.

• Anna

Great job !