🐣 Happy Hamper 🎨

I have my laundry basket for 14 years now. I wanted a new one, but couldn't find one that I liked or they were wayyyyy too expensive. So I decided to revamp my basket. If it turned out OK. Happy days, if not I'd continue to look.
My poor tired basket.
I got regular house paint, two pillow cases, elastic, trim, and little decorative bits I have here, because I can't stop building a little treasure trove of bits and bobs that I think I'll use that for that idea, then I forget the inspiring idea I had to start off with so I now have lots of little bits.
This piece drives me nuts , every time I'm putting washing in the cotton liner falls in too. I tried putting a stitch in each corner. It worked for a while, but then it came apart. Back to drive me nuts again.
Tired and grubby looking.
I used white paint I had bought to paint my ceiling. It went on lovely so now I'm in love with it, best ceiling paint EVER. No empty promises of great coverage, it does exactly as it should. It covers fantastically.
Old liner.
I cut up the old liner to make a pattern for cutting the new liner out of pillow cases,
It was beginning to look fresher. While the paint dried I got my sewing machine set up and opened the seams on the pillow cases to make the new liner.
It's always a good idea to measure twice then cut once. It saves you from doing the jump up an down dance. Arghhhh!!!
I sewed an measured and made sure I had enough overlap to add elastic through to hem seam.
I ran elastic through a hem seam to prevent the liner from falling in to the bag along with laundry. This for me made me happy.
I add trim to make it look prettier. I then sewed a fancy little stitch to enhance it.
I've had this little blackboard a few years, so I wrote a note to myself...
My note.
Now my freshly painted, fresh lined, clean laundry basket.
I hope I'll get 14 more years out of it.
Now it's back to where it should be, standing proud in my utility room.
Bring on the washing. .....

• Basket, pillow cases, paint  (At home)
  • Trim, black board, tiny pegs.  (At home)

• Peggy Burnette

Does anyone have a pattern for a clothes pin holder the kind you use outside? mine has had it. Thanks

• Carey

TO use your old Clothespin bag for a pattern: Turn it inside out and flatten it as best you can. Spritz it and iron. Then use newspaper or newsprint to draw around it. Add a seam allowance and you have your basic pattern. Cut two if you want a single layer of fabric or if you want it a bit easier and stronger, cut 4. Two for the back and two for the front. You can use foil to get the cut out for the opening. Turn the old clothespin holder over hole on top, and lay a sheet of foil over the opening and press all around the opening. Cut the foil around the opening on the INSIDE of the hole also allowing for a seam allowance, and use this to cut the front hole for the clothes pins. Put right sides of the front together, sew across the area where the hanger will be put, then sew around the hole across the top first, then each side and last across the bottom of the hole. Turn it right side out after carefully clipping the seam to make the curves turn smoothly. Press. You can top stitch around the opening in order to help keep it as you pressed it. Sew the top of the bag leaving an opening for the hanger to go through. Sew the top of the back together where you intend the hanger to be. This encloses the seam so that the hole for the hanger will be enclosed. Put the back and front together right sides together. Sew around the bag, leaving the opening for the hanger. Turn it right side out ao that the seams are on the inside, put the hanger into it and wahlah, you have your new clothes pin holder. If you want to use a french seam, put right sides together sew a 1/4" seam around. Turn bag inside out, and press in order to make it easier to stitch around and enclose the seam. Turn right side out, put in the hanger and you have your bag completed.
  • Nguyet

What is the brand name of the ceiling pain't you used?
    • Carey

There is an often overlooked elastic that would be great for a project like this! Use the elastic from an old pair of men's underwear. It is an excellent elastic, and if you need longer than the one piece you can put more together and sew very easily. Some women's underwear would work as well, but they tend to be more delicate and so not as strong for such a project. This was a GREAT idea! It also makes it so that the liner can we washed as needed and kept clean as well!

• Sandra

Thanks will freshen up my basket.
  • Linda Dublin

I purchased this same unit about 9 yrs ago and I use it as a garbage can in my kitchen with heavy duty garbage bags. When company arrives we simply put the lid down for a cute basket in the kitchen. Works great