Lauren of Mom Home Guide
Lauren of Mom Home Guide
  • Hightstown, NJ

A Kitchen With "New" White Cabinets

$200

When my husband and I had our house built about 14 years ago, we chose oak wood cabinets for our kitchen. The wood cabinets were fine the first few years, but I have been wanting a new look for a while. I didn't know that I could transform our kitchen with a little bit of effort and some paint!
a kitchen with new white cabinets
This is my kitchen "before shot." The oak cabinets are sturdy and in great shape, but they gave the kitchen a cabin feel and made the space feel smaller.
a kitchen with new white cabinets
This is what the kitchen looked like in the middle of the painting project. For my project, I used General Finishes Stain Blocker (Water Based), General Finishes Milk Paint (Antique White) and General Finishes High Performance Water Based Topcoat. (General Finishes provided me with the primer, paint and top coat.)
a kitchen with new white cabinets
I actually only have half of the kitchen painted so far. But the half that is painted is looking fantastic! I am in love with the brighter, lighter half of my kitchen!
a kitchen with new white cabinets
I took a break off from painting for a week this month when my husband and kids were off for spring break. I plan to get back to painting this week! After I'm done painting, I hope to add some new cabinet hardware and some new kitchen decor. I'm in love with my "new" kitchen!
a kitchen with new white cabinets
I'm sharing my tutorial on how to transform oak kitchen cabinets with General Finishes Milk Paint (with details on how to prep the cabinets and what brushes to use, etc.) on my blog!
These cabinets are among the cabinets that still need to be painted.
a kitchen with new white cabinets
This is another look at my painted white oak cabinets! I can't wait to get the other half of the kitchen painted.
Lauren of Mom Home Guide

• Barb

What can I do with flat wood kitchen cupboards? All of the successful painted cabinets appear to have moldings which make the cabinets attractive

• Sophia

Here's an idea I've been using everywhere for the last 20 years.

Liquid starch.

Pretty, fairly light weight fabric

Soak, place onto the wall or cabinet door or whatever

Smooth out bubbles with a wet sponge

Let dry

Trim with a sharp razor blade

Use gimp if you have seams

If you want to enliven the kitchen cabinets.... use this and go almost to the edges of the door and add a bit of trim molding around the fabric.

I used this technique on the cabinet doors in my last batheroom and wrapped over the edge of the doors. I was carful when I used the doors but if it started to peel back, a few squirts of the liquid startch stuck it right back down again.

I have one wall in my bird room covered with really fun animal fabric. Top to bottom. When I leave which I hope will be soon, it will just pop off with no residue left behind... and can even be used again.

It makes for an easy 20 minute fix for an accent wall behind a bed. Just pick a gorgeous textured fabric. Not too heavy though.

• Joa5553856

Can i paint pine kitchen cabinets? I was told that the knots in the wood will show through after one year.

• Renee

I painted a pine dresser and chest of drawers. First time I primed with a water based latex primer. It wasn't long and the knots came thru. I then primed with an oil based primer, its been several years and they haven't come thru again.

• MaryAnn

Dumb question. Is the milk paint or the topcoat the final color? I want to do my bureaus in a darker color. They are 40 years old (!!!!!) but in the best condition...only thing that looks old fashioned on them is the hardware. Thank you and please don’t think I’m a dummy, lol. Your cabinets are beautiful!!!

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

The topcoat is a clear coat that goes on last. The milk paint has the color. Good luck with your project! You can also replace the hardware on your bureaus if you like.