Moving the TV Off the Mantel - Much Better!

We moved into this home that was built in 2003. Above the fireplace mantel was a huge cut out for the old fashion, deep & heavy televisions. I played around with framing in our flat screen in there a few times but after having company here over the holidays, I realized that even though we have two full size sofas and a large chair in our family room - we really only had three good movie viewing seats. So, we moved it. So much cozier, no cranking our necks to watch a show and my mantel is a pretty focal point now - not Spongebob. :) I think a TV above a mantel is definitely called for in some rooms, like a basement entertaining room but we don't have one. Next house.
See pictures below for the before photos and why I like it better this way.
We use the gas fireplace but the electronics being right above it made them get over heated. I am not sure if that is good for the cable box and DVD player.
The furniture is positioned better for conversations like this than before. A picture of before is at the bottom of the post.
More open floor space and I like the mix of woods and whites with black accents..
We actually gained at least one extra move seat.
I covered the big TV hole with an old window. I primed the glass with Bin so it wasn't see through. It's braced to the wall with small corner brackets.
The doors and handles are just for looks. The piece underneath can be seen http://downtoearthstyle.blogspot.com/2012/09/new-old-foyer-table.html
I made this cabinet with scraps from a fence and an old bed frame and the previous wood from the mantel.
This was our set up before. Tons of seating but not usable seating for movie night.
I could make it look fine - but I wanted the center focal point in the room to be pretty - not a black hole.

Down to Earth Holly

• Jackie Prim

Its beautiful......I don't care for tv on fireplaces.I hope the fade ends soon. To me Fire places are a peace of art. You proved how lovely it could be.

• Michele Eures

LOVE both of your homes!! And your blog. Thanks so much for sharing your talent and gift of decorating.