Painted Mason Jar Lanterns

With Spring finally here I wanted to take advantage of the warmer weather and enjoy my screened porch longer in the evenings. To be able to do this, I needed to add some additional lighting to the room and I didn't want to use candles this year. Instead, I made some creative painted mason jars to use as lanterns around the room.
After allowing the glue mixture to dry overnight, I free-hand painted on the jars different flowers,lady bugs, and even dog paws for a decorative touch.
My painting may not be perfect but these were fun to make. Next time I may add quotes and sayings for more fun.
For the lights, I found some inexpensive Solo cup mini string lights at The Dollar Tree. I just needed to remove the mini Solo cups and add batteries.
To actually make the jars into hanging lanterns, I found coiled wire in the floral department at JoAnns. This wire was strong enough to wrap one strand around the ring of the jar and then a second strand looped over the top for the hanger.
I'm sure we are going to get a lot of use out these lanterns this summer. For more details on this project, visit the blog link below. Thanks for visiting.
To start this project I painted the outside of 8 mason jars with Tacky Glue and food coloring to give each jar a stained glass effect.

Donna Powell

• Pat21910290

I colored two jars with tacky glue and good coloring. After drying two days I started painting with acrylic paint and the tacky glue color started coming off. Should I have baked the jars awhile first?
    • Pat21910290

Thanks. I did bake them at 170 for 40 min and next day painted them with no problems. They turned out very nicely.
  • Lajean Faircloth

very cute & original !!
    how does one paint the glue on, paint brush? is it only done to outside of jars? as an animal lover, i absolutely love the paw prints & am looking forward to creating a few of these. will rain affect the glue if it gets wet? love so many of your ideas & your awesome creativity!!
  • Mona Kujawa Korsmoe

what's the glue mixture?