Maria L
Maria L
  • Converse, TX

DIY Outdoor Solar Rope Lamp

We forever wanted some solar lamps on our back porch, but they can be very expensive.

I am always looking for ways to re-purpose things that I already have at home. That was the case with this lamp. Didn't cost me a dime to create! :)
diy outdoor solar rope lamp

I have a set of two very old ceramic lamps. When I say old, I mean they have been with us for about twenty years. They used to sit in our family room sooo long ago and they have been in my storage closet this whole time.

I almost donated them once or twice. Glad I didn't, since I figured out how to turn them into solar lighting for our porch.

diy outdoor solar rope lamp
First thing I did was to remove the wiring. To cover the lamp I used 3-ply manila rope I had in the garage. For this size lamp I used about 75 feet of rope.
diy outdoor solar rope lamp
I did start gluing the rope to the lamp from the bottom using E6000 craft glue, but it didn't work very well, so I decided to just use the hot glue gun and it worked beautifully.

diy outdoor solar rope lamp
Continue wrapping the rope around the lamp upwards, securing it with the hot glue every couple of inches.
diy outdoor solar rope lamp
It took me about 30 minutes to wrap the base.
diy outdoor solar rope lamp
When the base of the lamp was finished, I cut the spike that came with the solar light in half and placed it inside the socket. 
diy outdoor solar rope lamp
Mine was a little wobbly so, to secure it, I just used a little piece of batting which I wrapped around the base of the light to make fit really tight.

diy outdoor solar rope lamp
I used the original shade, but I will change it eventually. 
And that's it! You now have an outdoor solar lamp.

diy outdoor solar rope lamp
And it is fun to watch it light up by itself as the evening arrives and the sun starts going down. I just love the ambiance it gave to the porch.

diy outdoor solar rope lamp
Did I mentioned this project earned me a feature on Woman's World Magazine? It was so exciting! Hope this post gives you the inspiration to create your own solar lighting.
Maria L

• Linda K Smith

I think this is a great idea. As has been asked previously, with the lamp on the covered porch, is there enough light to operate the solar light?

• Maria L

Thank you! I never had a problem with it lighting up every evening.

• Emily

I don't have a cover pouch were did you put yours

• Maria L

Do you mean a lamp shade? I used the one that came with the lamp and attached it the same way you would if you were using a regular light bulb.

• Wanda oliver

I have done something similar but I have a covered porch and my solar light doesn’t charge could have it to low in the lamp shade?

• Maria L

It could be too low. The top of my light is right at the rim of lamp shade.

• Da_33868518

THIS IS GENIUS THANK YOU FOR SHARING I BOUGHT SOME SOLAR LAMPS A FEW YEARS AGO THEY DIDN'T LAST LONG THAT LOOKED A LOT LIKE YOUR LAMP YOU NEED ON SHARD TANK

• Dorothy E Hepner

Unless you can find a sunbeam to ricochet around on your porch and hit the top of the solar light, you will have nothing put a cute lamp that never lights. My porch gets sun all morning and my lamp did not light at night.

• Lovesunique
      15 hours ago

So you can enjoy your lamp, why not take the solar part out during the day to charge and put it back in the lamp at night. There must be a railing on your porch that gets direct sunlight.