A Boring Dresser Gets an Epic Suitcase Makeover

$20
2 Weeks

Don't you just love those pictures of vintage suitcases stacked one on top of the other. There’s just something about the look that makes me think of a life well-traveled and filled with adventure and I really my own stack of suitcases sooo badly. But they’re so hard to find and terribly expensive. We needed to make another plan. And the plan involved these broken suitcases and a boring pine chest of drawers.

a boring dresser gets a suitcase makeover

I picked these and a few more up for the under $5 at a local thrift store. They were all really badly damaged. There was even an old handbag thrown into the mix.

We salvaged all of the locks, handles, straps and other bits that were worth saving.

And then flipped that boring pine dresser into this epic stack of suitcases.

What do you think? Does it work for you? We added a few labels too. Luggage isn't luggage if you can't see where it's been right

I'd love to hear what you think of the makeover.

P.S. You can get the full tutorial on the blog if you'd like to make something similar

A Crafty Mix - Michelle

• Jeanette

Very clever, utile, whimsical, and attractive! How about some old maps to use on lampshades or on the walls? Or a carpet etched with a map? just love what you have done!

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

I love your idea of an old map on the wall behind the dresser so much Jeanette. It work be a perfect fit for the whole look

• Betty Johnston

I love it. Would like to try it. Does it have 6 drawers or did you just make it look like it did? How did you attach the handles and locks?

• Judith

The Finish IS AWESOME, but how did you get there ? Did you saw the fronts off the suitcases and fasten them onto the front of the drawers ? Did you replace the drawer fronts ? Did you handpaint the colors and glue on details like locks and straps ? How does exhibit A get to be exhibit GEE ?