A Boring Dresser Gets an Epic Suitcase Makeover

$20
2 Weeks

Don't you just love those pictures of vintage suitcases stacked one on top of the other. There’s just something about the look that makes me think of a life well-traveled and filled with adventure and I really wanted my own stack of suitcases sooo badly. But they’re so hard to find and terribly expensive. We needed to make another plan. And the plan involved this boring pine chest of drawers.

And a whole bunch of broken suitcases .........

I picked this one, and a few more, up for the under $5 at a local thrift store. They were all really, really, really badly damaged.

There was even an old handbag or two thrown into the mix.

We salvaged all of the locks, handles, straps and other bits that were worth saving.

Some of the bits were easy to remove and some of them required brute force and a really sharp craft knife

Once we had enough "suitcase hardware" in our stash, we could get cracking on prepping the chest of drawers for the makeover of the decade. We removed all the drawers and old wooden knobs and gave her a good sanding down before staining her with a beautiful rich, warm brown polyurethane wood stain.

It took us about two week to complete the makeover. I wanted to make each drawer special and different. Some were painted......

.....and on the others we used contact adhesive to glue whatever bits of leather we could salvage from the suitcases on the front of the drawers.

All the suitcase handles were glued and screwed on. No ways did I want a handle coming off while I was hunting for my favorite T-shirt

And slowly,but surely that boring pine dresser transformed into this beauty.

What do you think? Does it work for you? We added a few labels too. Luggage isn't luggage if you can't see where it's been right!!?

I'd love to hear what you think of the makeover. And if you're looking for more tips on how to transform a boring dresser you can get the full tutorial on the blog.

P.S. Don't throw any salvaged leather suitcase scraps away until you've seen how you can turn them into this  vertical garden.

15 Memorial Day Crafts
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Michelle Leslie

• Kiki
    Kiki

Don't think that could be out done. Very Very well done!!

Kiki

• Danirow
    Danirow

Wow how awesome is that dresser. I literally have the same dresser. I’m considering what to do with it. I purchased mine from Gothic Cabinet