How do you keep rats and mice away from the home?

+7
Thanks for all the input i was wanting more information on things I can put around my house to keep them away. I live in the country so I know there always going to be around just want to deter them.
  • Shoshana Shoshana on May 24, 2017
    Make sure to secure any openings they may be able to get through. They can't eat through caulk and steel wool. Pay attention to where pipes enter the house and along basement foundations. Be sure to replace weather stripping. And make sure you've screened the vents and the openings of your chimneys.
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on May 24, 2017
    First, make sure that all of your food is covered and sealed. Also, the less clutter in your house, the less places rodents have to hide, which makes the area less attractive for them and they're less likely to come and stick around.
  • Try to close any small holes, because if you have a hole big enough (the size of a pencil) for a mouse to enter, a snake can also come in. and sometimes a snake will come in after the mouse..
  • Deana Thaxton Samms Deana Thaxton Samms on May 24, 2017
    Cats are the best deterent for rodents
  • Lora Lora on May 24, 2017
    Get a cat. Great pets anyway!
  • Norma Norma on May 25, 2017
    I agree with making sure every little hole is sealed will help, but those little guys will still find a way in. Cats are a great solution. I have found females are better mousers than males. If possible find a farmer with barn cats and get one of those kittens as they will have learned to hunt from their Momma.
  • Liv Liv on Mar 23, 2018
    Use a bowl of Antifreeze.
  • Carol Marszalek Carol Marszalek on Mar 23, 2018
    Liv, while anti-freeze will surely kill the rat it will also kill birds and other mammals like cats and dogs. It is not a great solution. There are too many other alternatives that will work without that extra danger, not to mention it’s harmful to children!
  • Deb K Deb K on Mar 23, 2018
    Mice hate bounce dryer sheets, you can also try an electric repellent https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pest-Offense-Electronic-Pest-Repeller/13008326
  • Chill Chill on Mar 24, 2018
    I plant mint (it's invasive) and place sprigs of it outside my foundation.