Budget Kitchen Reno Featuring a Stunning Black Farmhouse Sink

$1000
6 Weeks

We decided to partake in the One Room Challenge earlier this spring. We choose to makeover our kitchen for this project. The challenge involves making over one room in just 6 weeks!
budget kitchen reno featuring a stunning black farmhouse sink
We started with an okay kitchen, but since it is quite small I wanted to give it a more open feeling by removing some of the upper cabinets, painting the lowers and installing a bigger sink.
The first thing we did was remove the uppers to expose an old built in cabinet that we was back there just wasting space. We created a brand new open built in cabinet with shelves.
The old ceiling was visibly uneven, so instead of ripping the whole thing out and leveling it, we did a plywood plank treatment and used strapping underneath in the low spots.
A new DIY subway tile backsplash really added a big impact to room. Since were going for an overall farmhouse feel, I just love the timeless look of subway tiles that fit with any decor style. It was our first time tiling and we are really pleased with the result.
But, this has to be my most favorite part of the kitchen of all! Although it was recommended that it is installed by a professional, we choose to do it ourselves. There was some cabinet modification required, but it all came together like we knew what we were doing! This sink is enormous, and I love the floating (removable) rack that was included with it. It is the perfect spot to air dry coffee cups in the morning!
There was so much more we did to the kitchen, that it would be difficult to include it all here. I have posted a link to the reveal blog post down below, and there you will find links for each and every week of the one week challenge!

• Blanco Silgranit Ikon Apron Front Sink  (Blanco)
  • Acacia Butcher Block Countertop 8'  (Lumber Liquidators)
  • Diva Kitchen Faucet  (Blanco)

Red Cottage Chronicles

• Dennie

Do I ever love your butcher block counter tops? YES I DO. Beautiful. Love your new kitchen.
  • Joan C Maxwell

What did you do with the microwave and the rest of the kitchen?
  • Lynne

so very pretty!! are those counter tops hard to take care of?

• Tracy C

It's just beautiful.....you didn't need to hire a professional because you did a professional job yourself.
  • Mary Coakley

Its fantastic never seen black sink installed it rocks you both did yourselves proud