Carol Becker
Carol Becker
  • Tutorial Team
  • San Jose, CA

No Sew Ottoman From Broken Coffee Table

$200

I had this IKEA coffee table that was broken after a move. After seeing others' awesome work I thought I could turn it into my first upholstery piece. It turned out pretty well, I think!
no sew ottoman from broken coffee table
Broken coffee table from Ikea
no sew ottoman from broken coffee table
The "ingredients" - broken table, 2 inch foam, 4 yards fabric, staple gun, fabric glue, and scissors
no sew ottoman from broken coffee table
First time with foam - that stuff is a bit pricey. I got mine with a 50% off coupon at Joanne fabrics.
no sew ottoman from broken coffee table
Nailed the foam on with fabric over it. Since it won't show, I didn't care if it would be even.
no sew ottoman from broken coffee table
Okay, here's where I got all creative. No sewing machine available so I needed a "no sew" option. I cut the fabric to cover the legs, used fabric glue to creative a fake hem for the bottoms. Then, I ironed the edges and it was a solid fake hem. I attached the long panels. With the short panels, I stapled the fabric around the corners for coverage. Then added the legs to the underside.
no sew ottoman from broken coffee table
Flip it over and TA-DA!
no sew ottoman from broken coffee table
A no-sew ottoman from a busted IKEA coffee table! As this is my first try with apholstry, I am pretty excited and looking forward to taking on more projects.

• Staple gun and staples  (Amazon)
  • Busted IKEA coffee table  (Ikea)
  • Fabric, foam and fabric glue  (Joanne's fabric)

• Linda Quick

But $200.00? Sounds a bit excessive to me. Typo?
    • Linda

I got lucky. I found my table for $5.00 at a yard sale. 40% off foam at Jo-Ann's. I found beautiful upholstery fabric in my stash (and I'm sure it was a remnant to start). I have the staple gun. Just need staples and fabric glue. I even have a matching fringe and bought cording so I can choose either/or. Thanks so much for the idea and vid.