Michelle James
Michelle James
  • Emmetsburg, IA

DIY Fabric Farmhouse Half Windmill

$32

I love the farmhouse look especially the half windmills. They have been made popular by the HGTV show Fixer Upper. They are usually made from metal but I decided to make one using fabric.
diy fabric farmhouse half windmill
I started with these fat quarters of fabric. This picture shows them after they were tea stained.
diy fabric farmhouse half windmill
I used this template from Nancy'sNotions to make the blades of the windmill and the little half circle at the bottom. This made it so easy to create.
diy fabric farmhouse half windmill
Once I had the blades all cut out I stitched them with right sides together and turned them right side out. I top stitched around three sides. This gave it a detail but also gave me a "pocket" to add some skewers later.
diy fabric farmhouse half windmill
I used the same cutting procedure (only much smaller) for the half circle at the bottom of the windmill. This time I sewed them together and finished off the top edge.
diy fabric farmhouse half windmill
I needed a way to make it stand up on a shelf. We have a ton of rigid insulation foam (my husband uses it on a lot of his projects) so he cut a half circle for me to use as a base. It is normally a light blue color so I painted it and the bottom part of the skewers black.

The skewers were placed in each fabric blade then they were pushed into the top of the foam piece.
diy fabric farmhouse half windmill
The small half circle was glued on top of the foam and then I added a piece of felt and a decorative piece of metal to add some charm.
diy fabric farmhouse half windmill
The last thing was the piece of wire. All windmills have a piece of wire, right? I just poked it through the fabric on each blade and curled the wire at the ends so it didn't move.

What do you think?
diy fabric farmhouse half windmill
diy fabric farmhouse half windmill
You can see more detailed instructions on my blog! If you like this project then please sign up for my email/newsletter!

Have a good day,
Michelle

• Fabric fat quarters  (Walmart)
  • Dresden Template  (Nancy's Notions - sent to me in exchange for my blog post)
  • Sewing Machine

Michelle James