Sam Franklin
Sam Franklin
  • Netherlands

Mod Podge DIY Wooden Tray Makeover

$5

This old wooden tray was transformed using just a little white paint, some mod podge and a free printable.
mod podge diy wooden tray makeover
As you can see this wooden tray had seen better days and needed a little TLC.
mod podge diy wooden tray makeover
It had a lot of water marks and cup stains that I was unable to clean off so I decided to paint it white to brighten it up.
mod podge diy wooden tray makeover
I was out of my favourite white paint spray but didn't want to wait so I painted it using some white acrylic paint that I already had at home.
mod podge diy wooden tray makeover
First I wiped it down to clean it, then I gave it a total of two coats of paint and allowed it to completely dry.
mod podge diy wooden tray makeover
I wanted to give it a bit of a modern twist but couldn't find a suitable image for what I had in mind so I had a play about on the computer and came up with this pattern.

You can find so many free printables online that would be great for a project like this but you are more than welcome to use mine.

You can find this free printable pattern paper over on my website A Happy Home in Holland
mod podge diy wooden tray makeover
I applied an even layer of Mod Podge on top of the image print-out and stuck it face down on to the tray.

I made sure that the image was firmly stuck down on to the tray including all the edges, then allowed it to completely dry.

Once the image was dry I used a damp cloth and rubbed the backing paper layer by layer off the image.

You must be very patient at this stage and be careful not to get it too wet or to rub to hard otherwise the actual image will rub off.

Keep going until you can clearly see the image.
mod podge diy wooden tray makeover
If you a planning to actually use the tray (not just for display purposes) then it is a good idea to seal it.

I used a thin layer of mod podge to protect the image.

The mod podge it is not completely waterproof but will hold up against spills and a light wiping over with a damp cloth.
Sam Franklin