Dollar Store DIY Summer Fun Wreath

$7

A trip to the Dollar Tree is always an adventure. I spotted a wall of colorful flip flops and I knew I would make it is time for a dollar store DIY summer fun wreath. You may have seen those wreaths of flip flops, and they are fun, but I wanted to add a little of that luau feeling to this fun wreath.
dollar store diy summer fun wreath
Here are the treasures I found, everything was just $1 each!  I spent $9 and ended up only using one of the pair of flip flops and two of the wreaths, so this project cost me $7!
dollar store diy summer fun wreath
Full disclosure here, I already had the “s” pins in my craft stash.  I used the “s” pins to pin the plastic leis to my small styrofoam wreath forms.  Don’t cut the plastic leis or you will end up with just a bunch of plastic in your hands!
dollar store diy summer fun wreath
Wrap the lei around the styrofoam wreath form tightly and pin it again when you get to the end of the first lei.  Right up next to the first lei, begin the same process with a second lei.  I chose to use different colors, but if you are hosting a party with a color scheme, you might select leis of the same color for your wreath.  
dollar store diy summer fun wreath
Complete your first wreath by repeating the same process alternating colors of the leis around the form. You will see I have a small gap.  I could have filled that in, but will use that spot to attach a flip flop.  
dollar store diy summer fun wreath
I used the bare spot between the leis to hot glue a flip flop onto the wreath form.  Be careful, very hot glue will melt the styrofoam!  I didn’t attach it to the second wreath yet, that would make it too difficult to wrap the second wreath form with leis.  
dollar store diy summer fun wreath
Before I began wrapping my second wreath, I laid out how I wanted my double wreath to look.  I wanted mine to look like the flip flops were walking up the door.  This let me realize I wanted to leave that spot for the additional flip flop empty on my second wreath form.  
dollar store diy summer fun wreath
I wrapped the second wreath form leaving space for the second flip flop.  Again, I glued the second flip flop onto the wreath with hot glue.  
dollar store diy summer fun wreath
I finished off by pinning a couple of pair of dollar store sunglasses to my wreath.  I just used another “s” pin where the stems of the glasses cross in the back.  You could also wire the glasses on.  It is very easy to hide the wires amongst the plastic of the leis.  

• Plastic Leis  (Dollar Tree)
  • Styrofoam Wreath Forms  (Dollar Tree)
  • Hot Glue/glue gun  (Had on hand)
Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)

• Mary Melton

This idea is too cute. It's adaptable to individual taste. Thanks for sharing!

• Lil Murchison

LOVE your idea! I love the Dollar Tree. I have the leis that are flowers, 50 or more, so I think I will try this idea alternating the plastic leis with the flower leis. Love the sunglasses and flip flop's! Great job!! Thanks for sharing!!