Tala
Tala
  • Camas, WA

How To Use a Yoga Ball To Make a Concrete Sphere-Planter

$60

Large sphere molds can be very difficult to find. At History Stones we sell 10", 12" and 15" diameter molds. We often receive requests for larger spheres, so we decided to use a yoga ball as a mold and share this project!
Check out this video above to learn how to make your own! I have also included step by step instructions below.

Place the yoga ball on a bucket, with a wire ring around the edge.
Connect an air hose to the yoga ball. When your project is finished and dried you will use this air hose to deflate the yoga ball and remove it!

Cut the adhesive mesh into strips half way down the ball. Then wrap the pieces around the wire ring.
Then use some of the small adhesive mesh to tighten up and secure the larger pieces.
Spread thin set over the mesh by hand. You will have to wait at least 6 hours and repeat this process three times so that you have at least three layers of thin set. The more layers the stronger and better!
Wait at least 24 hours after your last layer and deflate the yoga ball. Remove the yoga ball from the sphere, and you are almost done!
Now for the fun part! You can paint your sphere, keep it white and use a sealer, or use acid stain... Whatever your heart desires. We decided to use Brickform acid stains in coffee and olive. To achieve the drippy look pour some of the acid stain in spray bottles.
Let your masterpiece dry and you are done!! You can fill the ball with soil and plant something beautiful inside, or leave it as a sphere.

If you like what we are doing, here are some links below!

YouTube
Blog
After Photo

• Kay Watson

I like this idea. with using thin is water tight enough to use as a fountain Thanks K

• Joe Jones

I would say yes but you can always spread a layer of smooth concrete or even fiberglass over the thinset or the inside of it

• Don Richards

Excellent idea! Question is, how would you suggest stabilizing this orb to be used as a planter?

• RC Leach

Maybe you could cut the top 2" or maybe more off a plastic 5 gallon bucket, paint or stain it at the same time you do the sphere, and set it inside the resultant ring. Cut the ring deep enough so the sphere won't still be able to roll away. Joe Jones, you are no doubt correct, but I completely lost track of the wire ring. Last I heard, they were cutting the fabric down half way, and wrapping it around the wire ring, but I don't see the wire ring at the bottom, and the top is nice and neatly wrapped inside some kind of ring, or it wouldn't be so nice and uniform. And the wire ring they showed isn't going to stop it from rolling away.

• Nae43124281

My name is naeem I am modular kitchen fitter