Virginia B
Virginia B
  • Fayetteville, GA

Outdoor Oasis

$120

I've always wished for a place where I could string lights and lanterns from trees. I'm sure you, too, have seen pictures of huge trees with low lying branches filled with lights creating a dreamy outdoor "room" perfect for enjoying a beautiful evening.
Well, in all of our 7 plus acres we don't have any such trees to accommodate my desire for such a space. So, we took a trip to our home improvement store to
outdoor oasis
We already had some metal fence posts. My husband pounded 5 of the posts into the ground along the edge of the concrete that surround our pool. Then we used screws to attach 2 x 2's to the posts. Originally my husband wanted to use metal pipes. I didn't like the look of that and the 2 x 2's were a lot less expensive. And, this part of the project took less than an hour!
outdoor oasis
I wanted the wood to blend in more with the nature that surrounds it, so I painted both the wood and the metal with the color, Collard Greens, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.
outdoor oasis
I found some awesome outdoor lights for 50% off at Michaels. We added a nail to the top of each post to wrap the lights around. We also used tie wraps to help hold the lights in place.
outdoor oasis
We strung the lights from post to post to form a triangle, then back and forth to create a zigzag over my table.
outdoor oasis
The lights give off the perfect amount of light.
outdoor oasis
My outdoor oasis in my new favorite place to spend the evening!

• Metal fence posts  (Home Depot)
  • 2 x 2's  (Home Depot)
  • Outdoor string lights  (Michaels)
Virginia B

• Barbara Evans

What about mosquitoes ? Are they attracted to the lights?do you have a way to keep them away?
    • She29204881

Use Yard Guard to spray the area before going out to relax. Lasts for several hour.
  • Jin23985026

How do you screw a 2x2 to a metal T-bar?
  • Fai28478155

And how do supply electrical to the lights? You don't address that.
    • Virginia B

The lights are plugged into an outlet. It is tied into the pool lights, so when we turn on the pool lights, these lights turn on too. They make solar lights that would be great for this project if you don't have an outlet nearby.

• Tonya

So so cool. I would love to have relaxing yard like this. Awesome idea.
  • Lovesunique

The night and lights is always a good combination. So inviting!