Pallets & Old Wood - Bringing New Life to a Boring Spot in the Yard

$100
1 Week

Our house only has a stoop for the front door...wanted a little seating area. Created a seating area under a newly created window box.

I have wanted a window box for a long time.  My husband build a 9 foot window box using an old wood from a deck that we took down. 

The metal here was used to trim the window box - came from an old building.

Attached the metal to the box. But the area below needed some help. Removed a 40+ year old rose bush and LOTS of weeds.

We got a new bed and it came on this HEAVY duty pallet. I mean HEAVY. Decided this was the perfect venue to create a little seating area. I stained the pallet with some stuff left over from another project and then sealed it well.

Finished product.....we removed as much rock as we could, leveled the ground (thankful for my hubby) and then put down 6 pavers so pallet would not sit on the ground. Found two old whiskey barrels in the shed and planted natural grasses in them.  An old bench got a spray of black paint and screws were tightened.   Added flowers to the window box and dollar tree solar lights. Found the fat budda and pillow at Family dollar. Love my Peacock solar light from Bed Bath and Beyond.

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time

• Karen

A wooden "pallet" came with your new bed? I thought that "pallet" was meant to be used as part of the bed ....to hold a mattress up securely in your bed frame so it doesn't sag? (Instead of the usually widely spaced boards) that's the only reason I have seen for something like that to come with a mattress. Just wondering...
    • Carolyn

They said their new bed came ON THAT PALLET!!! They said it was a very sturdy pallet (obviously, it is). I'm sure their bed is fine. They surely did a beautiful job with the window box, etc.

• Dir27382657

Can you open the windows now? Does not look like you have enough clearance.
    • Luna

My thought exactly and since there's no answer from the author, my guess is no. Pretty is nice but practical is better.

• Diane L Gronlund

Does the window flower pot have drains to get rid of excess water? Does it drain on the bench? Just curious!
    • Paege

I love you project and your beautiful attitude. Wish everyone was as well balanced and classy as you my dear!

• Mary

I really like it! I'm looking for ideas for my tiny backyard that has only rocks. I think this would totally work for me! Thanks!

• Jim Cox
    Just now

I really like that flower box! Great idea