Our Crafty Mom
Our Crafty Mom
  • Weare, NH

Create A Beautiful DIY Lantern From Dollar Store Frames

$8

I am really so excited with how this next project turned out. I’ve always admired lanterns but was never willing to pay the steep cost for one and I had NO idea you could make one from Dollar Store frames until I stumbled upon some ideas on Pinterest. I decided to give it a try, but adding my own spin.
create a beautiful diy lantern from dollar store frames
I started with 6 4 x 6 frames from the Dollar Store. I bought four of the same design and two different designs. I bought some larger frames to try to make a bigger lantern and hope to share that soon. I removed the glass from the frames and gave them two coats of a pretty aqua color paint. Here is what I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UY1BD38/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00UY1BD38&linkCode=as2&tag=ourc0a-20&linkId=56d56c5118e7a32eb560fe8b8533d177

Next, replace the glass in the frames. Use E-6000 adhesive or wood glue to adhere the four frames together to create a box. Use duct tape to secure it while it sets. I had some leftover trim from another project so I added this to the top to give it a custom look. You can see a nightstand I made over with this pretty fretwork. http://ourcraftymom.com/turn-old-bookshelf-diy-bar-cart/ 

I added a knob that I had on hand to the front and decorated it in a summer, beachy look for now. I know I will enjoy changing this out seasonally and for $6 for the frames you can't beat the price! Check out more upcycled projects on my blog.

Thank you!
I hope you liked this DIY Lantern and give it a try. You can't beat the price!
Our Crafty Mom

• Lynn

Does this have a hinged door? And does it have a bottom? How do you hang it?
    • Julie Coates

You could use some very sturdy glue and attach hinges to one of the frames to make a door you could open and close. You could also use another frame or a block of wood for the bottom, gluing each frame around to the base piece as you attach them.
  • Arleen

What did you use for the base?
  • Jean Schindler

I must be missing something, how did you make the to p?
    • Julie Coates

She used 2 picture frames leaned against each other at the top, then the fretwork from a previous project to fancy up the front and back. That is what she says in paragraph 3.