Heatherelzey
Heatherelzey
  • Tutorial Team
  • Mantachie, MS

Swing Make Over

1 Material
$50
4 Weeks

I took a 2 person old swing and gave it a make over.
swing make over
I removed the old cloth seat with heavy duty utility knife, an Allen wrenches and wrench. You may have to loosen some bolts to remove the cloth seat in some areas.
swing make over
I removed the swing from the frame and placed the bolts in a zip lock bag so I would not loose them. I then used a hand sander, Dremal and a sanding block to remove rust and loose paint.
swing make over
We cut 1 x 4 treated wood to fit with in the swing. I sanded the wood with my hand sander.
swing make over
I stained the wood, sanding between coats. Then I added 2 coats of polyurethane lightly sanding between each coat.
swing make over
I painted the frame. I decided I wanted to use 2 different colors, one for the swing and one for the frame. Remember if you want to place a cushion(s) and pillows in your swing purchase them when you pick out your paint colors.
swing make over
Place all your boards on the swing before you screw them down.
swing make over
Pre drill your holes.
swing make over
The screw the wood to the frame using a self tapping screw for metal.
swing make over
Once you place a the wood on the seat then lay the Fram on its back and do the same the last 3 steps.
swing make over
Put your swing back together. Place the cushions and the pillows on your swing and enjoy.
swing make over
I placed the swing on a little sitting area where I had a picnic table. The tables were metal chairs where I took the backs off. Spray painted them the same color as the swing . Making this swing is easy but may take a few weekends because of waiting for stains and paint to dry.
swing make over
This is another swing I did last year. As long as it is a 2 seater swing you can transform any swing. The longer swings do not have the brace in the middle of the swing.

• Sander, sanding block, drill, wrench, saw. Allen wrench, stain, polyurethane, spray paint, self tapping screws for metal, 1x4 treated wood,  (Any home improvement store)

• Kat3217179

Do you have to pre drill the hole in the metal frame too
    • Heatherelzey

I did the pre drill at the same time on the frame to make sure the hole and frame stayed aligned.
  • Robyn

I like the idea of the swing and the tables made out of metal chairs. What steps did you take to do the chairs? I have a nasty dirt and brick back yard that I'm truing to revamp.

• Gayle

Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for. I found a two-swing set on the curb and lugged it home to redo, but wasn't exactly sure how to go about it. Thanks to you, I now know!!
  • Alice

I love this! We have the exact same swing that is in need of repair. I was looking for a quick fix. But after seeing your easy-to-follow steps, I think I'm going to attempt to do this! Thanks!